overheating - pulling my hair out

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2019, 10:03 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
.........OP, another thing I would like to mention... Last year I had my coolant flushed from the system and when I first drove the car I noticed abnormal temp readings. The tech told me the car's ECU needed to "relearn" and in the meantime I would experience some temp faults. He was right, after several long drives, the car normalized and was reading the proper 180F mark.
I think the mechanic was telling you BS. The system had air pockets that worded their way out over time. The ECU gets the input from the temperature sensor. The sensor is set based on temperature. There is nothing for he ECU "to learn".
Old 03-13-2019, 02:34 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 780 Likes on 473 Posts

Originally Posted by cjlanghorn
Just joined this forum. I'm looking for some help on my 1999 C2 coupe 6mt with 112K.

Problem: overheating

Attempted fixes:
1. new water pump
2. new low temp thermostat
3. new hoses
4. removed and cleaned both radiators
5. drained and refilled coolant system using airlift II
6. installed 3rd center radiator
7. installed two new electric cooling fans
8. filled system with brand new coolant
9. New coolant reservoir cap

Current symptoms:

1. overheating
2. no coolant leaks

Not sure what to do next. Looking for some solid advice.

Regards,

Cj
What coolant brand/type are you using? Not that you should need it, but since you have done everything else, have you considered additives like Driven's Coolant System Protector or Redline's Water Wetter? Both do improve cooling performance by reducing surface tension and improving the contact area between the coolant and the radiator.

I agree with everyone else, it would be really helpful for you to access the more accurate temp reading within the system or to use an IR reading. When you say there are "visible signs" that it is overheating, what exactly are you seeing? Is it boiling over?

Quick Reply: overheating - pulling my hair out