Sponsored by:

Filter size with “The Solution”

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2019, 06:53 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Received 290 Likes on 164 Posts

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Not sure if you guys have heard about zinc and phosporous in oils yet. I’m not going to recommend any brand, but Zn and P levels are important to mechanical wear. There is a GM engine guy that made studying this his life’s work. He has spreadsheets and tables and does standard wear tests on about every motor oil made. Read up. It’s a lot of reading.

Why did Zn and P get lessened or removed from modern oils? Cost and emissions. This was done to the detriment of engine wear especially for slider camshafts. Our engines have slider cams. If you have a hydraulic roller lash adjuster not as much of an issue. They are common in domestic OHV V8s. They are heavy too which is bad for high rpm (everything is a trade off).

If you want oil with enough Zn and P to protect your engine well a certain recommended oil is the easy button. Notice I didn’t say cheap button.

And if you want to dig deeper search lawsuits regarding the label “synthetic” as it pertains to oil. A lawsuit was won that makes it easy to slap
that label on poor quality oil. When synthetic oils first became prominent there wasn’t a standard but quality was high. Since the lawsuit quality dropped. It’s a classic case of if you can’t beat them, join them. So since company Y can call their swill synthetic legally, we will sell swill too because good synthetic oil is now unprofitable. Unprofitable.... so you’re buying synthetic garbage if you are shopping by price.

And again, I’m just some dude from TX, you can do whatever you like. Your money, your car, your engine, you may be Einstein’s daddy, and my advice might be rubbish. Have fun.
I really do not understand the oil debate. I never really have. Phosphorus is important for antiwear. Bad for cats, bad for environment. How much phosphorus should there be in oil? What else does the 996 need in an oil? I have googled and googled and really have seen no consensus or trend. What does oil in titanium do? I have read journal articles about titanium’s anti wear in oils. No clue how much should there be.

I see see two options. Buy the expensive bespoke oil. Hard to get in Canada and very, very expensive. Other option is name brand oils that meet a number of different certifications from both Porsche and others. Lesser cost, assume more r&d.

Truly, I am very indecisive as I really don’t have any evidence one way or another. I usually make decisions based on evidence. No clue and relieved I have a season prior to making a decision.

The $120 price differential is irrelevant to me. What is relevant to me is using the most effective to avoid future issues oil. I do not have enough information to make an informed decision.
Old 03-06-2019, 10:50 PM
AnthonyGS
Rennlist Member

Received 146 Likes on 92 Posts

Okay I will lead the horse to water..... I gave you all the clues you needed to find the info. Iceberg incoming....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/540ratb...t-ranking/amp/
Old 03-07-2019, 09:32 AM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by AnthonyGS
Okay I will lead the horse to water..... I gave you all the clues you needed to find the info. Iceberg incoming....

https://www.google.com/amp/s/540ratb...t-ranking/amp/
Great blog. Now I am even more confused. LOL. I'm going organic olive oil
Old 03-07-2019, 05:28 PM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 220 Likes on 138 Posts

From this blog, the highest ranked 5w40 is DT40*

* except for 5W40 Mag 1, FMX, European Formula, which there seems to be no way of actually purchasing in Canada.
Old 03-07-2019, 06:36 PM
steam_mill
Burning Brakes

From the blog

50. 5W40 Joe Gibbs DT40, synthetic = 101,265 psi
This oil claims to be formulated specifically for modern Sports Car engines, yet it has no API certifications at all, and claims to have a ZDDP anti-wear package, which would indicate that it does not have low enough zinc/phos levels to be safely used in modern cat equipped vehicles.
zinc = TBD
phos = TBD
moly = TBD
This oil was tested at the end of 2015.

It is the highest rated oil. Not too many 5w40 oils on list that weren’t diesel. Guess that is what I will be using.
Old 03-07-2019, 11:51 PM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

OK stupid question time again. When I tried to cut open my napa filter for the LN full flow kit. I used a grinder wheel because the metal on those filters is very thick. Metal shrapnel and debris started going everywhere. I just stopped right there because I figured the metal shaving all over the place would get all over the element and cause even more severe paranoia. So here goes...How do I get this thick metal filter casing open without getting metal that I am already looking for from inside the engine separated from the metal debris from cutting the filter open?
Old 03-07-2019, 11:59 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

You need to use an oil filter cutter. Kinda like a pipe cutter.
Old 03-08-2019, 03:24 AM
mrdeezy
Banned

Received 122 Likes on 58 Posts

Brilliant, just ordered one on amazon!
Thanks

Quick Reply: Filter size with “The Solution”