996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Locks, frunk & trunk release levers, rear defrost

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2019, 10:41 AM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

I would try a jump start with a running vehicle before doing anything else. You may have enough battery power that every thing looks normal, but the starting circuit requires many amps to kick in.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:25 PM
LeeVel
Intermediate

Received 12 Likes on 5 Posts

The battery is good and there has never been water infiltration. Anyway, I had it towed to the dealer. A few days later I got the call it was fixed. When I picked it up I told the service manager we'd check it together. So out on the lot he hits the fob button to unlock it and nothing. Embarrassed, he went and got the service tech.

Once again, the fuse under the seat was changed. The tech tells me my tape job screwed up the box. Here's what I did: There's two looms of wires that plug into the box. One of the connectors has a lock/release mechanism. The lever on the release is plastic and it crumbled when I touched it. Since there was no locking the connector now, I taped it. According to the tech, the tape job somehow interfered with the box's function.

Afraid of blowing the fuse, I don't use the fob now. I use the key in the door to lock/unlock, and I don't worry about the alarm since it's what seems to blow the fuse. I don't know what this fuse has to do with the rear defroster, but it works now too.

The fuse blew before my tape job, so the original cause of the problem was not addressed. I expect a new box under the seat is in my future. At least I have a spare key now.
Old 04-01-2019, 05:31 PM
islaTurbine
Drifting

Received 394 Likes on 253 Posts

Step 1: ditch your dealer and find a reputable Indy.

Quick Reply: Locks, frunk & trunk release levers, rear defrost