Sponsored by:

Suspension Crossroads (C4S Cab)

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-2019, 11:03 AM
PacNW3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Suspension Crossroads (C4S Cab)

it turns out that one is my front strut mounts is broken/worn/loose. It needs to be replaced. With almost 70k on the car, it makes sense to install new components while replacing the mount. I have read a ton (thanks, Rennlisters!), & I still have a few questions. The obvious choice for me would be to go with Bilstein B6s or B8s on all four corners. However, the rears are backordered. From what I gather, they’ve been backordered since Aug 2017 & might be back in June 2019. I won’t hold my breath. Koni makes a sport rear, but they don’t make a front for AWD models.

Has anyone run Bilsteins up front & Konis in the rear? Sounds crazy, but maybe someone has found success with it.

I don’t plan to track the car & have no interest in lowering it, so I wasn’t planning on doing coilovers. It looks like some come with mounts & some don’t. Other than the common (& somewhat expensive) coilover sets, does anyone have experience with the entry-level setups? H&R makes a street coilover setup. Any feedback on those? https://www.urotuning.com/products/2...8aApRNEALw_wcB

What corners are cut on the less expensive setups?

As always, thank you in advance for sharing your thoughts. This community is great!
Old 03-01-2019, 11:08 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I personally wouldn’t mix and match different brands of shocks/struts on a vehicle.
Old 03-01-2019, 11:26 AM
parris
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

What about the B4s?
Old 03-01-2019, 11:45 AM
PacNW3
Advanced

Originally Posted by parris
What about the B4s?
i considered those. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong, but it seems like a lot of money to spend for stock performance when I could theoretically get upgraded performance for less. Is there a reason, other than the fact that they’re in stock, to go with B4s over 6s or 8s?
Old 03-01-2019, 12:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 809 Likes on 545 Posts

For not much more you may find some coil overs.
Old 03-01-2019, 03:15 PM
justinp
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Have you checked carnewal.com? I just bought the RoW M030 kit from him for my C2 Cab when everywhere stateside said it was out of stock. Great price too.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:09 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

I wouldn't mix brands either. Bilstein B8's with H&R sport (lowering) springs. Gives you a great stance while retaining almost (a little stiffer/tighter) stock ride.
Old 03-01-2019, 04:10 PM
parris
Pro

Received 114 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by PacNW3

i considered those. Maybe I’m looking at it wrong, but it seems like a lot of money to spend for stock performance when I could theoretically get upgraded performance for less. Is there a reason, other than the fact that they’re in stock, to go with B4s over 6s or 8s?
Well, remember that the C4S has already a tuned up suspension setup from factory. So stock performance in this case doesnt mean worst. I like a lot how this car is tuned from factory. B6 is stiffer than the B4. Consider is that is what you are looking for. B8 in any case must be associated to lowered springs.

In my case, I have decided to go for RoW OEM springs, and I will probably go with B4 or B6 when the time for changing the shocks come. R&H will be stiffer and lowered more the car? Yes (and with the half of the cost of the OEM), but is not what I was looking for.

As I said, I love how well balanced the C4S factory RoW setup is for my use (ludic, but not track oriented)
Old 03-01-2019, 09:51 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

I 2nd the coilover idea. I just did it to my C4S. They are fully adjustable so you could leave the car stock ride height. Then if you ever decided you want to lower it you can with only a few adjustments. Most coilover kits are fully adjustable so you can "dial" in the suspension from soft to firm.
Old 03-03-2019, 01:43 AM
PacNW3
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
I 2nd the coilover idea. I just did it to my C4S. They are fully adjustable so you could leave the car stock ride height. Then if you ever decided you want to lower it you can with only a few adjustments. Most coilover kits are fully adjustable so you can "dial" in the suspension from soft to firm.

Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice. I'm leaning toward coilovers at this point. Mbren1979 - which coilovers did you go with? What do you think of the ride quality? I'm thinking that the Bilstein PSS10s are the default choice, but I'm interested in feedback about other setups.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:01 AM
De Jeeper
Nordschleife Master

Received 3,531 Likes on 1,859 Posts

Based on a few threads and experience in other cars i am gonna go with the Olins street set up. Ill probably only do a few de days ever so i want a good street suspension. There was a pretty good thread recently on the olins. Many here have also gone with the less expensive options like Feal with good success.
Old 03-03-2019, 10:40 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PacNW3
Thanks to everyone for the replies and advice. I'm leaning toward coilovers at this point. Mbren1979 - which coilovers did you go with? What do you think of the ride quality? I'm thinking that the Bilstein PSS10s are the default choice, but I'm interested in feedback about other setups.
i originally wanted to do Bilstein PSS10 but the price had me thinking. Hoping to not sound like a dick when i say this but most people on forums only follow everyone else just because the group said so. I wanted to know more and understand why i needed to pay so much whwn there were cheaper alternatives. The BMW forums had tons of people pointing towards a company called BC Coilovers. After watching tons of videos, asking questions and going to BC Coilover (luckily i live 5 miles away from the Oviedo FL location) i learned that the crazy high dollar systems were great if you are an advanced level race driver. For the average consumer you wouldnt be able to tell the differences while driving. The BC Coilovers offered the same options like ride height adjustment and dampening adjustment ****. They are also fully rebuildable like most of your high $ companies. For a better explanation just go on youtube and put in bc coilovers. Watch some vids by bigger channels like fitment industries to see real info on them. They are $1200.00 for the set on their website. Only thing to note is you will need to purchase upper front mounting plates. Install was easy and ride quailty is exactly the same as OE. Out of the box the dampening **** is set closer to stiff. The adjust range is 1 to 30 clicks. 30 being hard. They come at like 21 or 22. I did feel the difference but it wasnt harsh. Just more firm. Putting it at like 15 made my C4S feel stock. I am extremely happy with my choice.
Old 03-04-2019, 01:02 AM
PacNW3
Advanced

I spent a lot of time reading about the BC Coilovers today. That is an intriguing proposition. I'm going to call them tomorrow to see what I can learn. It looks like they come with rear top mounts & I'd buy new top mounts and associated hardware for the front. From what I gather, that saves me about $500 from the PSS10s, too. The only real negative feedback I found was from some guy that (apparently) purchased a used early-2000s M5 with them already installed. It all started with a little clunk, and now it looks like I'll get coilovers on all four corners!
Old 03-04-2019, 09:12 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I have the pss10s on my 2000 and they are amazing.

I can’t attest to the other brand mentioned, but I can tell you that I’ve always had positive experiences with Bilstein product. I’ve use them on everything from street cars to purpose built race cars (rally). There is a reason they have the following they do. If it was me, and the price difference was only $500, I know which way I’d lean. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Suspension isn’t where I’d try to save a couple of bucks.

One other thought is to consider whether you really need height and otherwise adjustable coil overs at all. Unless you want to change height, or are racing (concerned with height and corner balancing), coil overs add a bunch of moving parts. So many people with street cars buy fancy suspensions and then set them once and forget them. Not really what they are intended for, and adds cost, moving parts, complexity, and additional potential points of failure. Not a big deal on a track car since you are constantly maintaining, checking and adjusting, but overkill for a street car. ...in my opinion.

The stock replacement Bilsteins are a great option for a street car.
Old 03-04-2019, 09:49 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by cds72911
I have the pss10s on my 2000 and they are amazing.

I can’t attest to the other brand mentioned, but I can tell you that I’ve always had positive experiences with Bilstein product. I’ve use them on everything from street cars to purpose built race cars (rally). There is a reason they have the following they do. If it was me, and the price difference was only $500, I know which way I’d lean. Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Suspension isn’t where I’d try to save a couple of bucks.

One other thought is to consider whether you really need height and otherwise adjustable coil overs at all. Unless you want to change height, or are racing (concerned with height and corner balancing), coil overs add a bunch of moving parts. So many people with street cars buy fancy suspensions and then set them once and forget them. Not really what they are intended for, and adds cost, moving parts, complexity, and additional potential points of failure. Not a big deal on a track car since you are constantly maintaining, checking and adjusting, but overkill for a street car. ...in my opinion.

The stock replacement Bilsteins are a great option for a street car.
Again with respect this is kinda what i am talking about. I agree 100% that the Bilstein systems are amazing. They have a following because they are great and i agree. But $500.00 is $500.00. Your comment "Sometimes you really do get what you pay for. Suspension isn’t where I’d try to save a couple of bucks." is exactly what i was referring to in my post. There are tons of coil over companies. Some are just cheap ebay crap that belongs on some high school Honda boys car and not on a Porsche. But when someone else comes out with a system the works great for everyday drivers that also see track experience i see no reason not to use them. They don't use inferior parts and they have a lot of the same features as the high end kits. I have no problem saving 500.00 and being proud to say i have BC Coil overs. Buying cheap parts is dumb, Buying affordable and still getting top quality product for you driving intent is not.

Quick Reply: Suspension Crossroads (C4S Cab)