Sponsored by:

my cats are kicking the bucket

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2019, 02:17 AM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts
Default my cats are kicking the bucket

Throwing a CEL for low efficiency on bank 2. I reset it a couple of times and it comes back, my car uses zero oil between changes so not contamination etc

I think at 112k miles they are toast.

What are my options? Should I bother with changing the O2 sensors? I have a borescope so maybe I should snake it in and look at the condition of them inside?

I'm in California so have to pass smog in a few months, I don't want to pay $$$ for OEM. I will keep an eye out for used cat's on local ads with lower miles.

I also considered cutting the cans open and welding in some new universal cat elements, anyone done this? I have a 2000 996.1 all stock.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:43 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 65 Likes on 50 Posts

Most likely not the O2 sensors (which have their own codes). Your best bets are:
- A used unit (search for "porsche 996 downpipe" for 3.4
- 200-cell sport cat inserts from Carnewal (ship your cats there for the surgery)
- CA approved direct fit aftermarket cats
Old 02-06-2019, 10:07 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Throwing a CEL for low efficiency on bank 2. I reset it a couple of times and it comes back, my car uses zero oil between changes so not contamination etc

I think at 112k miles they are toast.

What are my options? Should I bother with changing the O2 sensors? I have a borescope so maybe I should snake it in and look at the condition of them inside?

I'm in California so have to pass smog in a few months, I don't want to pay $$$ for OEM. I will keep an eye out for used cat's on local ads with lower miles.

I also considered cutting the cans open and welding in some new universal cat elements, anyone done this? I have a 2000 996.1 all stock.
I've been having the same problem. My remedy?... lots of "cat food". hahaha Yep, I been feeding it two cans of seafoam, and the CEL went away. If this doesn't work in the long run, I may have to replace the catalytic converters, but I'm hoping to wake up my dead cat! Those darn cat converters are crazy expensive!
Old 02-06-2019, 10:26 AM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 338 Likes on 244 Posts

Try swapping the downstream O2 sensors from one site to the next. If the code follows the sensor you have your answer. If it doesn't, you'll have you answer too.
Old 02-06-2019, 12:05 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Originally Posted by NuttyProfessor
I've been having the same problem. My remedy?... lots of "cat food". hahaha Yep, I been feeding it two cans of seafoam, and the CEL went away. If this doesn't work in the long run, I may have to replace the catalytic converters, but I'm hoping to wake up my dead cat! Those darn cat converters are crazy expensive!
Are you using seafoam through the intake?
Old 02-06-2019, 12:17 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

I'd probably start with the O2 sensors, they're cheap enough to be worth doing, whether you continue to use your current cats or replace them.

I'm a fan of sport cats. I've had 200 cell on both my 3.4 and my 3.6 and they're great, they seem to have a seat of the pants improvement in performance (full disclosure: I've never dynoed my car, so I have no idea whether there is any actual improvement). A thing you might need to worry about is CARB certified or original equipment in CA - I don't have the same issues in VT, so don't know anything other than what I've read about the Republik of Kalfornia emissions regs.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:43 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 149 Likes on 67 Posts

Actually one idea I had was to pull the cats off, scope them to make sure the ceramic core hadn't actually collapsed or somehow been mechanically destroyed then if all looked ok I would try washing them with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Its a really good solvent for washing away any nasty organic residue, I figure its worth a shot.

It will do zero damage to the ceramic or metallic element, its only an organic solvent. In a best case it washes away enough gunk on the cat to up its efficiency enough to clear the code. My wife has loads of MEK at her work so I could get it from her.

Also good idea for trying to swap the O2 sensors from the banks to see if the code follows, I can try that this weekend.

EDIT: looks like acetone might work better
Old 02-06-2019, 01:50 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

It's possible the cat element inside has come loose, in which case you may be able to open it up and re-weld the element.
Once the cat is off the car, you can shake it and you will be able to see and feel if the element is loose.
Old 02-06-2019, 01:53 PM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Ahsai, Can you elaborate on your experience with Carnewal's 200? Can' t remember where you live but you don't have problems with emissions test or cel's? You ship them over to Belgium, if so do you remember costs (I haven't contacted gert about that)? Looks like a really inexpensive option if someone could live with the time it takes to rebuild
Old 02-06-2019, 01:58 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Sure. i have a thread here.

5yrs and 26k miles later still working well and passing smog (OBDII style smog check, not tailpipe. Not saying it won't pass tailpipe test though)
Old 02-06-2019, 02:21 PM
jimham968
Intermediate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I replaced my cats with MagnaFlow units bought from Summit Racing. I bought the CARB certified units for about $1200 for both. About a year and 10K miles ago and still no error codes.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:31 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Chris(MA)
Actually one idea I had was to pull the cats off, scope them to make sure the ceramic core hadn't actually collapsed or somehow been mechanically destroyed then if all looked ok I would try washing them with MEK (methyl ethyl ketone). Its a really good solvent for washing away any nasty organic residue, I figure its worth a shot.

It will do zero damage to the ceramic or metallic element, its only an organic solvent. In a best case it washes away enough gunk on the cat to up its efficiency enough to clear the code. My wife has loads of MEK at her work so I could get it from her.

Also good idea for trying to swap the O2 sensors from the banks to see if the code follows, I can try that this weekend.

EDIT: looks like acetone might work better
Reverse flush if you go that route.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:35 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Are you using seafoam through the intake?
No, I don't add to the intake. Mix with the gasoline. I usually put 2 cans of seafoam in a 1/4 tank of gas, drive it hard for about an hour, and then refill with top tier gasoline.
Old 02-06-2019, 02:51 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

No, I don't add to the intake. Mix with the gasoline. I usually put 2 cans of seafoam in a 1/4 tank of gas, drive it hard for about an hour, and then refill with top tier gasoline.
I see they have an aerosol spray for the throttle body. I wonder how well that works?
Old 02-06-2019, 02:58 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Ahsai
It's possible the cat element inside has come loose, in which case you may be able to open it up and re-weld the element.
Once the cat is off the car, you can shake it and you will be able to see and feel if the element is loose.
That's what happened to mine. The element is loose and I can hear / feel it moving around. I've been contemplating between going with Carnewal or just re-welding the original element - which only has 36K miles on it.

In the meantime, I bought a cheap set off RLister. Chris, if you're interested in cheap OEM replacements (I think they have 80Kish miles on them), I'd be willing to fix my original set and sell you the pair that I bought at what I paid. PM if you're interested, it will be your cheapest option by far and I believe you're close to me - I'm in South SF.

Quick Reply: my cats are kicking the bucket