Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I'd start with the yellow!
Hurmm thinking about it
Old 08-22-2019, 10:51 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Also just purchased the Numeric racing NM202 cables for a while i'm there installation! Ahh the odd justifications I come up for purchasing parts for this car! Gahhh
Old 09-17-2019, 06:38 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay so finally got aroubd to installing these!

I've gone the black and if I don't like them I'll use the yellow I bought.

Few notes on the installation:

- I tried wedging in the insert after I coated it with silicone based lubricant - didn't work I even tried tapping it in - still nothing. The top was much too tight which seems strange as all the weight should be on the bottom of the mount - strange. So what I did was slightly move the centre steel part down with the through bolt and the mount slipped right in no hammering pushing etc required. BRILLIANT SIGH OF RELIEF

- Also recommend using a bottle jack to support the transmission rather than a trolley jack - allows for more control + its smaller and you don't have to move very far to raise/lower it. I adjusted the jack a few times before I found the best position that would allow the bolts to be removed most easily. The mounts metal section does have a bit of play in it so its a bit compensating. Luckily the bolts went in without me having to readjust the jack.

- You do need to remove the two studs to get enough access to allow the inserts in (or at least I had to) they have a 7mm head

Torque everything back up to spec of 48ft-lb for all 8 bolts (2 x through bolts, 2 x upper carrier bolts, 4 x lower carrier bolts) - all the bolts have a 15mm head.

Last edited by dan_189; 09-18-2019 at 12:53 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:19 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Okay so update - test drove today but had the centre console out.

Oh wow its noisy in the cabin now - although the console being out will contribute to the noise so ill re-eveluate when its back in.

Worth it? Not entirely sure yet there is added noise/vibration which i'm okay with as I've gotten used to it fairly quickly. Don't know if I can feel any benefits to this upgrade yet.

Verdict: too soon to tell - this upgrade will not be for the gen-pop - at least definitely not the black
Old 09-21-2019, 11:26 AM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by dan_189
Okay so update - test drove today but had the centre console out.

Oh wow its noisy in the cabin now - although the console being out will contribute to the noise so ill re-eveluate when its back in.

Worth it? Not entirely sure yet there is added noise/vibration which i'm okay with as I've gotten used to it fairly quickly. Don't know if I can feel any benefits to this upgrade yet.

Verdict: too soon to tell - this upgrade will not be for the gen-pop - at least definitely not the black
Let me know if you decide to sell. I've been wanting to try a set.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:30 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,044 Likes on 645 Posts

Dan,
Did you install the Numerics already? Also, did you adjust shift cables while console out? By-the-by just the trans mounts may only be in evidence under certain driving parameters like downshifting under braking or accelerating out of corners. Upgrading mounts, bushings, cables, shift kits, exhausts, etc.; and experiencing self-induced NVH seems pretty gen-pop to me.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:45 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

...and just read your post about the cables.
Old 09-21-2019, 11:53 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Gen-Pop?
Old 09-21-2019, 11:57 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

General population.
The following users liked this post:
808Bill (09-21-2019)
Old 09-21-2019, 12:04 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 545 Posts

Thanks Hatch! It's 5am and I'm not all there yet.

Hurmm thinking about it
And?
Old 09-22-2019, 09:56 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by bull3t
Let me know if you decide to sell. I've been wanting to try a set.
To be honest I won't be uninstalling it any time soon but on the upside the PowerFlex version are fairly inexpensive

Originally Posted by hatchetf15
Dan,
Did you install the Numerics already? Also, did you adjust shift cables while console out? By-the-by just the trans mounts may only be in evidence under certain driving parameters like downshifting under braking or accelerating out of corners. Upgrading mounts, bushings, cables, shift kits, exhausts, etc.; and experiencing self-induced NVH seems pretty gen-pop to me.
Sorry meant NHV in terms of this insert - from what i've read - most people are correct it adds a LOT of NHV - I did 964RS engine mounts and didnt feel anything. This mod you basically hear everything - definitely not for everyone

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Thanks Hatch! It's 5am and I'm not all there yet.

And?
Still undecided - after 2,500rpm its fine - takeoff and 1st gear are not good - reverse is terrible also because I have an LSD the noise is really really pronounced.

Although more driving over the last few days - all the slop in the transmission is GONE - shifts into gear perfectly, it's really forgiving in terms of getting in and out of gears - feels really precise.

I'd say if you're going to do this actually might be worth going to the extreme of removing the carpeting and laying down some dynamat to absorb the noise - especially under the rear seats/transmission hump.

Put it this way - if I ever put my car up for sale - i'd be removing this insert as without a doubt it would scare away potential buyers.
Old 09-23-2019, 11:17 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

^^ Ha ! That's the yellow or the black ones? I've got the black ones (Function First) in mine, and the first time I started and drove the car after installing them I thought screwed something up... Also, after installing the Numeric shift cables it got noisier still as there's more transmission noise coming through the cables.
Old 09-23-2019, 07:45 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by dporto
^^ Ha ! That's the yellow or the black ones? I've got the black ones (Function First) in mine, and the first time I started and drove the car after installing them I thought screwed something up... Also, after installing the Numeric shift cables it got noisier still as there's more transmission noise coming through the cables.
Yep thats the black ones - the PowerFlex black are 10 "shore?" Is that the values name? Anyway 10 harder than the F1 version (95 vs 85). I've got the Numeric cables as well.

Take away the noise and the feel is spectacular.

I've been thinking about some dynamat but honestly its only low speeds you can hear all the noise then as rpm increases I can just hear engine noise. It's awesome - i'll keep them installed until I get sick of them and can be bothered removing them and maybe move to the yellow.

Anyone thinking about which insert to get - best go yellow - black is a very acquired taste
Old 10-07-2019, 07:54 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Reviving this thread - to be honest I'm over the black... Going to put in the yellow when I get the chance and see what they are like. The black aren't ideal for a street car... I'm almost used to it but I don't know if I like the feel or noise of them.

Anyone running powerflex black? Can't remember.
Old 10-07-2019, 09:56 AM
fourblades
6th Gear

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Does anyone have pictures of the install process, or know of some online? I'd like to replace my worn out stock transmission mount but I like to see pictures of the process first.

Thanks...

Quick Reply: Powerflex vs. FunctionFirst transmission insert