Sponsored by:

Powerflex Transmission Mount Black Insert Installed

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 11:41 PM
JJ_W
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Powerflex Transmission Mount Black Insert Installed

Just installed the Powerflex black insert into my transmission bushing. My car is a 2002 996.2 tiptronic.
Straight forward install overall, except for the two bolts that go through the bushings into the transmission case, those were very difficult to remove.
I followed mostly this tutorial: https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...nt-w-pics.html
Except that I removed the mount with the black carrier together as I could now get enough leverage to remove the two 15mm side bolts.
To everyone who is looking into doing this, you need to get the car off the ground as high as you can, as you need leverage to remove the bushing bolts. You just can't fit a breaker bar in there, and even if you can the handle will hit the ground (I used a 3/8" extending ratchet socket wrench, laid on my back and used my whole leg to get enough force). The whole procedure is not hard but PITA if you don't have a lift. Still, I was able to do this in my apartment parking space alone.
Here are some photos:

I chose to use the Black Series (95A) instead of the Street Yellow (70A) because since I am keeping the original bushing (which are still in decent shape), I thought this combo would be a happy medium. There is a slight increase in vibration inside the cabin when idle, cruising at 2-3000rpm it feels stock, higher rpm it is just a little louder than stock. The throttle response is a bit shaper and the overall feel of the car is a tad bit tighter. I can't say much about shifting feel as mine's an auto. I have not yet installed new engine mounts (they are on the way, Rennline semi-solids) so this impression is with the sagging old mounts. For the price of this poly bushing set, and the relatively easy install, I think this upgrade is a no brainer.
Old 01-30-2019, 02:17 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

Interesting, thanks for sharing.

Was going to pull the trigger on some functionfirst mounts but powerflex are a much better price...
Old 01-30-2019, 11:10 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Interesting, I installed PF black in my 03 C2 6speed but its the other bushing style, the noise and vibration went way up more along the lines of full race car, old Cessna without headset (or door)... Wonder if the RSS SS motor mounts played part in my results. Have since installed a new mount with PF yellow.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:23 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 125 Likes on 110 Posts

TBH When i installed my 964RS semi solid engine mounts I didnt really feel any additional NHV - maybe I just got used to it but from hearing all the feedback on the black seems like the yellow are the way to go.
Old 01-31-2019, 09:51 AM
Gregcoleman81
Rennlist Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 9964runner
Interesting, I installed PF black in my 03 C2 6speed but its the other bushing style, the noise and vibration went way up more along the lines of full race car, old Cessna without headset (or door)... Wonder if the RSS SS motor mounts played part in my results. Have since installed a new mount with PF yellow.
I had the Function First (Race) insert put in before I did the Engine Mounts (while having IMS Retrofit installed). The Vibration was unsettling at times but shifts were much more firm and never missed. I installed the RSS Tarmac Engine Mounts and some of the vibration went away. feels more planted and you cant feel the engine moving around back there anymore, haha.. North York? as in Upstate New York?
Old 01-31-2019, 11:29 PM
9964runner
Pro

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

My trans mount was shot when i had the PF black in so that may of added to the noise mostly from the gearbox. Right direction further north though eh! North York is a neighborhood in Toronto On.
Old 11-23-2019, 02:20 PM
Augustus Barone
8th Gear

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

To my knowledge only FF 3 pronged inserts work on 996 Manual non Turbo./ If you have the large cast aluminum support 2 pronged inserts may work. Powerflex application description is wrong and piles a bunch of cars together . Similar stuff is slinged on Ebay from Torque Solutions and that doesn't work either. Just trying to save folks some hassles as that job is usually done on one's back with car on jack stands.. No dog in the fight here, just wanting to add clarity to post from personal experience

Quick Reply: Powerflex Transmission Mount Black Insert Installed