Sponsored by:

Throw out bearing

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2019, 05:00 PM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Throw out bearing

Can someone confirm that I've put the throw out bearing in the right direction? I forgot to take a picture when I took it off and from all the searching I've done in my manuals I never see a picture of the orientation.
Also, the spring clip at the end of the throw out lever doesn't engage very tightly holding it on. I was surprised when I took it off it was so easy. The rounded top of the spring that goes through the slot in the lever doesn't seem to really snap into place very tightly. it holds it on their with applying light pressure to the backside of the lever (as if trying to pry it off). Maybe that's normal but I just wasn't sure. Thanks in advance.

Old 01-13-2019, 06:54 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 67 Likes on 52 Posts

The TO bearing looks correct. However, the snall spring clips on the lower right corner in the photo does not appear to engage fully.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:35 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

I'll take it back apart. behind the lever is a spring clip and a rubber circle/boot that goes over the post. Again I can't find any kind of schematic to show how that spring and rubber boot are supposed to be position there. I didn't intentionally rearrange that when I took the lever off but maybe it did and I didn't notice. Now that i'm thinking about it, does the spring clip and that rubber boot supposed to be together? I believe on mine the rubber is sitting ahead of the spring clip on the post. Maybe that rubber boot is centered in the spring clip and that is mounted on the post? I didn't look at the design of the spring clip when because I didn't remove them after releasing the spring from the lever.
Old 01-14-2019, 10:54 AM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

That post has a mushroom head for the spring to clamp on (albeit lightly). The rubber piece should be between the fork and the spring. Let me send some pics later in a couple of hrs.

It's possible the post is worn out so the spring can't fix the rubber.
Old 01-14-2019, 11:07 AM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by danielcooper9
Can someone confirm that I've put the throw out bearing in the right direction? I forgot to take a picture when I took it off and from all the searching I've done in my manuals I never see a picture of the orientation.
Also, the spring clip at the end of the throw out lever doesn't engage very tightly holding it on. I was surprised when I took it off it was so easy. The rounded top of the spring that goes through the slot in the lever doesn't seem to really snap into place very tightly. it holds it on their with applying light pressure to the backside of the lever (as if trying to pry it off). Maybe that's normal but I just wasn't sure. Thanks in advance.
Hope this will helps you. Go to the 17:35 mark in the video. Jake Raby's team is putting the transmission back on the car. There's a nice image of the bell housing of the transmission.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:07 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

New post installed and how the rubber piece and spring should be installed.

How a worn out post looks like.

New parts installed. Note the spring position.

Old 01-14-2019, 01:08 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Remember to put ample high-temp grease on the mushroom head of the post.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/More_In...16-716-02-M157
Old 01-14-2019, 01:33 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

You should be able to hear the CLICK of the post sliding over the spring. To be sue, just try slightly pull on it and if it stays in place then the spring is on the proper side of the post/ball.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:21 PM
danielcooper9
Racer

Ahsai, how did you get the inside of your bell housing so clean? I'm envious. it's actually something I've been trying different things to clean this on the tranny side and the engine side without creating a big greasy mess on by floor. I've resorted to spraying a cleaner in and using a catch bucket to catch excess liquid dripping out as i wipe and brush the inside carefully.

The second or third picture shows the clip mounted to the lever (with a rubber insert int the clip. I'm assuming then once that is assembled, you slide the whole lever arm (rubber piece and clip already on the arm) onto the post. When I took the arm off, I slid the curved end of the spring off the arm as all of my manuals simply said "remove arm" or something to that effect. Anyway, i need to clip the rubber piece and the clip itself onto the arm before installing. I left the clip on the post and the rubber piece is loose from the clip. I should have just taken the clip and the rubber piece off of the post and it would have made more sense to visualize how it mounts on there.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:28 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by danielcooper9
Ahsai, how did you get the inside of your bell housing so clean? I'm envious. it's actually something I've been trying different things to clean this on the tranny side and the engine side without creating a big greasy mess on by floor. I've resorted to spraying a cleaner in and using a catch bucket to catch excess liquid dripping out as i wipe and brush the inside carefully.

The second or third picture shows the clip mounted to the lever (with a rubber insert int the clip. I'm assuming then once that is assembled, you slide the whole lever arm (rubber piece and clip already on the arm) onto the post. When I took the arm off, I slid the curved end of the spring off the arm as all of my manuals simply said "remove arm" or something to that effect. Anyway, i need to clip the rubber piece and the clip itself onto the arm before installing. I left the clip on the post and the rubber piece is loose from the clip. I should have just taken the clip and the rubber piece off of the post and it would have made more sense to visualize how it mounts on there.
I used the Wurth multi-purpose solvent (my favorite) sprayed all over it. Just use some newspaper to catch the excess on the ground.

What you described is perfectly correct and it also confirmed my suspicion based on your photo. Just make sure you put enough grease on the post head.
Old 01-14-2019, 03:54 PM
Imo000
Captain Obvious
Super User

Received 340 Likes on 245 Posts

If you have Dollar Tree in your area, get the cleaner calls Awesome or maybe called Amazing. It has an As Seen On TV logo on it, yellow clear bottle. I know, I know, as cheesy as it sounds, this product cleans extremely well and is only $1.25 a bottle. It has a high concentration of ammonia so if you spraying it, wear a simple mask or else you lungs will be exfoliated.......like mine did.
Old 01-15-2019, 11:59 AM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 359 Likes on 226 Posts

Originally Posted by Imo000
If you have Dollar Tree in your area, get the cleaner calls Awesome or maybe called Amazing. It has an As Seen On TV logo on it, yellow clear bottle. I know, I know, as cheesy as it sounds, this product cleans extremely well and is only $1.25 a bottle. It has a high concentration of ammonia so if you spraying it, wear a simple mask or else you lungs will be exfoliated.......like mine did.
I use this product all the time and buy it in cases, it is called Totally Awesome, I always wear gloves and use in well ventilated area.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:21 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

This?
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PDZ3TQE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1547569097&sr=8-2&keywords=totally+awesome&dpPl=1&dpID=41E53nlJunL&ref=plSrch https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00PDZ3TQE/ref=mp_s_a_1_2_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1547569097&sr=8-2&keywords=totally+awesome&dpPl=1&dpID=41E53nlJunL&ref=plSrch

It says no ammonia though.

Quick Reply: Throw out bearing