996.2 C4 MB tiptronic trans removal

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2019, 03:24 AM
JJ_W
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 996.2 C4 MB tiptronic trans removal

Hi guys,

I have been doing some research on removal of the gearbox from the car. It is a 2002 996.2 C4 with the later MB tiptronic. What I have gathered is that the MB gearbox cannot be removed with the engine attached to the car - both must come out together. Why is that, and does anyone have any experience with this gear box?
Old 01-09-2019, 08:07 PM
fpb111
Rennlist Member

Received 93 Likes on 69 Posts

This is from some very knowledgeable gents on another forum.

“...correct on this one. The ZF which was installed from 99 to 01 is readily removable from the car without removing the engine. The Mercedes Benz auto which was used from 2002 to current 997s even is another story entirely. The ZF trans bolts directly to the engine case. The MB trans uses a bell housing adapter plate between the engine and trans which makes separating the trans with the motor still in the car practically impossible.”

“Practically.

One of the problems you will run into is being able to secure the torque converter to the transmission as there is not enough room between the transmission and the body to insert the factory tool for this. So the torque converter will probably come out just enough to dump all of its ATF all over. The main problems with this are... ATF is #1 messy and #2 costly and #3 kind of a pain for a shadetree mechanic to top off correctly (you'll need a durametric at the least). Also getting to the screws which hold the transmission to the bell housing adapter is what is going to be silly. Get all of your wobble, universals and extensions ready because there is absolutely no room, even with the engine lowered. I know several technicians that have tried this once and sweared never to do it again.”

Old 01-09-2019, 11:33 PM
JJ_W
Intermediate

Thanks for the detailed reply! I guess it is a good idea to lower the whole engine with the trans after all.
Old 02-22-2019, 07:15 PM
colmfmurphy
Instructor

Since I've just been through an engine transplant, I can say that there's really no good way to drop the MB trannie on it's own.
IF you were to try tho:

Remove the starter - that's if you can even see it...
Then rotate the crank until you can see the bolts that attach the flywheel to the torque converter - there's three sets of two at 120 degrees to each other. Make sure you don't drop a bolt 'cos there's absolutely no way to get to it and it will foul the flywheel...

Best to drop them both as a unit...

Quick Reply: 996.2 C4 MB tiptronic trans removal