Default need a new windshield

Should I go to the dealer or safe auto?
Old 01-03-2019, 10:42 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I got mine from Safelite in Oct 2017.
It took them several tries(and 3 weeks) to get me a windshield that was in good shape, so have them look over the windshield they bring before they remove the old one.
The first installer noticed a long scratch right in front of the driver and for the price they were charging knew I would not be happy.
The second installer wanted to remove the old windshield first and I told him I wanted to see the windshield first.
It appeared to be the same windshield, but he insisted that it wasn't.
The third windshield was broken in transport and they postponed the day before the install.
The fourth windshield was installed (by the second installer) and looks great.
They gave me a great deal since I had to wait so long and was not a jerk.
Expect it to cost $700-800.
The dealer will cost you much MUCH more!
Old 01-03-2019, 10:49 AM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I got mine from Safelite in Oct 2017.
It took them several tries(and 3 weeks) to get me a windshield that was in good shape, so have them look over the windshield they bring before they remove the old one.
The first installer noticed a long scratch right in front of the driver and for the price they were charging knew I would not be happy.
The second installer wanted to remove the old windshield first and I told him I wanted to see the windshield first.
It appeared to be the same windshield, but he insisted that it wasn't.
The third windshield was broken in transport and they postponed the day before the install.
The fourth windshield was installed (by the second installer) and looks great.
They gave me a great deal since I had to wait so long and was not a jerk.
Expect it to cost $700-800.
The dealer will cost you much MUCH more!
Thanks - I had safeflite replace the windshield in my old S500 Mercedes. They did a great job but I read some horror stories on here about them cutting the antenna wire on 996 windshields. I'll pay $250.00 to safe flite and quite a few others that state farm works with. With dealer, I'll pay quite a bit more but they haven't told me how much more.

And that's great advice to check the replacement before they pull out the old one. I never thought of that.

Thanks
Dave
Old 01-03-2019, 11:10 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I didn't run my windshield repair through my insurance since I bought my 996 with the crack already there.
So I had to pay full price.

They didn't cut my antenna wire.
They did have to break the plastic that surrounded my mirror base since it had been glued together by a previous owner.
I told them it wasn't a big deal. (that might have helped get a better discount too)
I ended up modifying it so it fit my Blendmount better and reinstalled it later myself.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:19 AM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Safelite estimate was $680, unsure which glass they are using at that price.

The local glass place many dealer use is $1046 for OEM glass and $917 for Pilkington. I did not check what the dealer charges directly.

I have had some bad experiences with Safelite years ago. I know it’s dependent on what tech you get but hesitant to try them again.

I am am going to pull the a-pillar covers off before it’s done. Minimize the chances of damage.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:34 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I had mine replaced by Safelite. The glass is a replacement one (not sure who makes it) but the tech was an older guy with tons of experience. He was awesome and did a great job. Unfortunately 6 months after I got hit by something that didn’t sound like a stone but it was enough to peel a small chip from the glass just barely out of my view. Can’t polish it out so I’m waiting for another stone crack and then I’ll change it again.
Old 01-03-2019, 11:54 AM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Heres my advice. Call up your local Porsche dealership and ask them where they would send a car for body and paint work. Then call that place and ask them who they have replace windshields when they r/r them for body work. That will be one of the best installers you can get and they will have experience working on higher end vehicles. Plus they will be able to get OEM Sekurit glass or equivalent.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:29 PM
Ace Tub
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Depends if your insurance is covering the repair. In Florida, it is covered under comprehensive coverage and is a no money our of pocket, nor does it effect the rates (so I am told). I had to get a windshield replaced on an Toyota Avalon I had previously by Safelite and the glass was not OEM, the glass was much thinner and I heard intake noises I have never heard before. I didn't care because it was a lease, but for the Porsche, I would only want a factory OEM replacement.
Old 01-03-2019, 12:33 PM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

I paid $420 for a new windshield to be installed by Safelite on my Boxster today. I'll let you know how it goes...
Old 01-03-2019, 01:10 PM
rockhouse66
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

I bought a Porsche windshield from a dealer who sells online and picked it up in person. You need the upper trim piece too as the one they remove will likely be damaged. I recall the windshield being about $630 and the trim pieces about $70. I did shop around for both. Then I found an installer who clearly had done one before because he asked about whether I had the trim pieces or not and insisted I bring it to his shop so two people could do the install. It was $240 or so for the install, which I think is more than they normally charge but not too bad. So, $1K or so all in for OEM glass.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:39 PM
Woodman71
Rennlist Member

Received 246 Likes on 127 Posts

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Heres my advice. Call up your local Porsche dealership and ask them where they would send a car for body and paint work. Then call that place and ask them who they have replace windshields when they r/r them for body work. That will be one of the best installers you can get and they will have experience working on higher end vehicles. Plus they will be able to get OEM Sekurit glass or equivalent.
Yup, great call. My Indy sent me to a guy around the corner who really knows Porsches. He worked with me and pushed back hard on my insurance company when they kept insisting on aftermarket (Safelite) glass.

I ended up paying about $300 more out of my own pocket but the assurance it was done right by professionals with OEM glass was worth it, to me.
Old 01-03-2019, 06:40 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm scheduled for Monday morning. It's a local shop that state farm approved. They say they've done 996's before so fingers crossed. One good thing is they're going with OEM glass. My cost will be $250 and State Farm pays the balance.

I'm not sure about which trim piece you're talking about.

BTW, I can't believe how I cracked it. I was changing wiper blades and let the passenger side arm slip out of my hand when I was trying to slide the new wiper blade on the end of the arm. I heard that crunchy glass sound and saw a little chip. The chip has grown into a crack that is now halfway across the windshield. RATS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Oh well, a $250.00 lesson in how not to install wiper blades.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:17 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
Should I go to the dealer or safe auto?
From what i have seen most dealers don't even do the glass in house. If you take it to them a vast majority of them call a local glass shop to take care of it on site. I have used Safe-lite on my S-Class. They did not do a good job and had to go through a couple of windshields (first one looked like a fun house mirror). They also broke some interior trim parts and didn't clean up any of the broken glass. However with most industries, you are only as good as your worst employee. They may send out a seasoned pro who has been doing it for 40 years and has done tons of P cars. They may send out someone who has been on the job for 8 months and is going to loss his mind when he finds out he gets to touch a Porsche. Unfortunately its all a roll of the dice.
Old 01-03-2019, 09:20 PM
Techno Duck
Nordschleife Master

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts

Just another price point, dealer cost was $1077 (tax included). The local shop that many dealers use was $1046. Unsure if this is the same installer, but its within $30. I will be scheduling it with the dealer for the peace of mind.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 AM
joseph mitro
Rennlist Member

Received 245 Likes on 159 Posts

I understand the desire for oem glass. In my case the car is worth $5-6k so paying $1k out of pocket for a new windshield just doesn’t make sense.
I got an aftermarket glass yesterday and it was well done.
I also reduced the risk of damaged or lost little parts by removing the wipers and trim piece between windshield and cowl.

Changing the windshield on a Porsche is no different than any other car. It just depends how good the tech is

Quick Reply: need a new windshield