Sponsored by:

Struggling with ignition coil replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2018, 09:38 PM
montauk
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Struggling with ignition coil replacement

I decided to replace the plugs and coils on my C4S. I looked at the DIY on Pelican and decided it would be an easy job. Man was I wrong. I just bought this car a week ago and this is my first project. Looking at the photos on Pelican, it really seemed easy. Maybe it is for other 996's but not for mine. The exhaust and muffler brackets make getting to the rear coils and plugs extremely difficult. My car has factory PSE. It looks like I'll have to take off most of the exhaust system to get to the rear most plugs/coils.

I don't mind tearing up my knuckles if I can leave the exhaust alone but it doesn't seem possible. Any suggestions?
Old 11-30-2018, 09:39 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Drop the engine a few inches.
Old 11-30-2018, 09:55 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
I decided to replace the plugs and coils on my C4S. I looked at the DIY on Pelican and decided it would be an easy job. Man was I wrong. I just bought this car a week ago and this is my first project. Looking at the photos on Pelican, it really seemed easy. Maybe it is for other 996's but not for mine. The exhaust and muffler brackets make getting to the rear coils and plugs extremely difficult. My car has factory PSE. It looks like I'll have to take off most of the exhaust system to get to the rear most plugs/coils.

I don't mind tearing up my knuckles if I can leave the exhaust alone but it doesn't seem possible. Any suggestions?
Yes, it's supposed to be difficult (at least for the first time). Removing the mufflers will help a bit but really not needed. Almost all done by feel. Your best bet is a set of good 3/8" drive extensions (e.g., 4" wobble extension) and those mini 1/4" drive sockets to remove the coil bolts.
Old 11-30-2018, 10:09 PM
montauk
Instructor

Thanks. I got all six right side coil bolts out and stopped there. I'll keep plugging away tomorrow.
Old 11-30-2018, 11:45 PM
JB001
Rennlist Member

Received 62 Likes on 42 Posts

A couple good DIY video on Youtube
Old 12-01-2018, 12:13 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

I don't know what complexity PSE adds, but removing the stock exhaust isn't difficult and makes the job much easier.
Old 12-01-2018, 12:28 AM
MotoBier
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Interesting as that is the same thing I did today! Just completed changing coils and spark plugs on my '04 C4S, original coils lasted till 157,909 miles...then last weekend I went to move the car and got a P0301 fail - BAM! I'm screwed I thought, but a little research and I found out it was very likely the coil on #1. Pelican Parts shipped my order and I dove in on Thursday evening. Thursday I removed the 1, 2, 3 coils installed the new ones (w/ new spark plugs) and called it quits after about 5.5 frustrating hours. Picked up this morning on 4, 5, 6 with some luck as I was done with those in about 3.5 hours. Then changed motor mounts getting the car back on the road around 3pm. I should never have waited to change the coils as this car really runs great now, very well worth every painful moment changing the coils. About now you're likely thinking yea, glade you got it done but I'm just starting the job...so here's my tips learned over the past 24 hours.
1. Have a crawler to lay on so you can shift around while working. I found this very helpful as I could swap positions smoothly without having to let loose of a tool or part, really my #1 recommendation!
2. Right aft coil is a bear! Not much space, have a magnet on a stick so when you go in to remove the spark plug you can push in the socket then find it with the extension (use an extension which does not clip into the socket) by hand screw in spark plug then tighten. Detach and remove torque wrench, pull out the extension, remember to not let it stay attached to the socket as you need the turn angle to get the extension out, last item the socket...slid in the magnet stick and pull out the socket. My magnet stick is one of those extending type which I fully extended so I could insert through muffler brackets. Remember, not much space so use the crawler to slid around finding best positions to reach in.
3. Light, have tons of light!
4. Tools, every tools I used I had read someplace meaning that I did not come up with some special tool. Every time you read where someone mentions a tool...have it on hand as you may need it.
5. I did remove the bumper cover for additional access and light.
Old plug inspection I found numbers 3, 4, 1 plugs slightly fouled...car runs very nice now, well like a Porsche is supposed to.
Seriously, good luck, stick with it as the driving rewards are well worth it!
Old 12-01-2018, 06:00 AM
Hurdigurdiman
Drifting

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoBier
Interesting as that is the same thing I did today! Just completed changing coils and spark plugs on my '04 C4S, original coils lasted till 157,909 miles...then last weekend I went to move the car and got a P0301 fail - BAM! I'm screwed I thought, but a little research and I found out it was very likely the coil on #1. Pelican Parts shipped my order and I dove in on Thursday evening. Thursday I removed the 1, 2, 3 coils installed the new ones (w/ new spark plugs) and called it quits after about 5.5 frustrating hours. Picked up this morning on 4, 5, 6 with some luck as I was done with those in about 3.5 hours. Then changed motor mounts getting the car back on the road around 3pm. I should never have waited to change the coils as this car really runs great now, very well worth every painful moment changing the coils. About now you're likely thinking yea, glade you got it done but I'm just starting the job...so here's my tips learned over the past 24 hours.
1. Have a crawler to lay on so you can shift around while working. I found this very helpful as I could swap positions smoothly without having to let loose of a tool or part, really my #1 recommendation!
2. Right aft coil is a bear! Not much space, have a magnet on a stick so when you go in to remove the spark plug you can push in the socket then find it with the extension (use an extension which does not clip into the socket) by hand screw in spark plug then tighten. Detach and remove torque wrench, pull out the extension, remember to not let it stay attached to the socket as you need the turn angle to get the extension out, last item the socket...slid in the magnet stick and pull out the socket. My magnet stick is one of those extending type which I fully extended so I could insert through muffler brackets. Remember, not much space so use the crawler to slid around finding best positions to reach in.
3. Light, have tons of light!
4. Tools, every tools I used I had read someplace meaning that I did not come up with some special tool. Every time you read where someone mentions a tool...have it on hand as you may need it.
5. I did remove the bumper cover for additional access and light.
Old plug inspection I found numbers 3, 4, 1 plugs slightly fouled...car runs very nice now, well like a Porsche is supposed to.
Seriously, good luck, stick with it as the driving rewards are well worth it!
I agree with every part of your posting especially the part about retrieving the plug socket from the plug after replacing the new one. I unknowingly left the socket attached to the plug and tried for 2 hours to attach the coil lead without success and could not for the life in me figure out WHY... I found out why when I decided to leave that one and moved on to the next one. I could not find my plug spanner. THEN I figured out where it was. Still attached to the last plug DUH.

BTW new poster..Trust you to choose probably one of the hardest tasks of the many preventative maintenance jobs for your first job. Removing the exhaust is the way to go. NOTE the newer coils are slightly different than the older ones. Good luck with your DIY work.
Old 12-01-2018, 08:56 AM
MotoBier
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Hurdigurdiman, thanks for supporting the 996 community. I had intended on removing the mufflers but upon initial inspection...no way for this repair session as every pipe bolt will likely need to be cut off. So, I now will schedule in time to get in there with new bolts, cut off the current bolts, then I'll be ready for the next time I need to remove them.
Old 12-02-2018, 06:52 PM
montauk
Instructor

All done!!!!! It really wasn’t that bad. That right rear coil was really tough. The entire left side took about an hour. Just that right rear coil and plug took more time.

One suggestion.
Push the rubber boots up first and then unclip the coil connectors. You can unclip the connectors with the boots all the way down but it easier to reattach the clips with the boots up. Pulling the connectors off is easier with the coils still fastened in place.

Five coils had hairline cracks. The left rear coil was a mess. It was delaminating. All six plugs were in great shape. The last record of plug change was 30000 miles ago. I’m guessing the coils were original. Glad it’s all new.

After I was done, I drove about 50 miles in damp and drizzling weather. No codes!!!!!
Old 12-06-2018, 05:19 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 163 Posts

I did this as my first job when I got my '99, but also replaced all six spark plug tubes and o rings; so much easier with the mufflers removed. Same thing - my #4 cylinder coil pack broke as I worked to pull it out and had to use needle nose pliers to get the stuck part removed. Rubber boot on the coil was swollen and likely due to the oil leak from the variocam solenoid seal (also replaced later with FabSpeed X-Pipe install...). Plugs were all good, though I replaced those as well.

You might want to disconnect the battery for ½ hour or so to clear the DME with the new coil packs. Do a few hard pulls after warming up the first drive and you may notice a slight improvement.

Last edited by jobyt; 12-06-2018 at 05:26 PM. Reason: add info
Old 12-06-2018, 05:32 PM
jobyt
Pro

Received 306 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by MotoBier
Hey Hurdigurdiman, thanks for supporting the 996 community. I had intended on removing the mufflers but upon initial inspection...no way for this repair session as every pipe bolt will likely need to be cut off. So, I now will schedule in time to get in there with new bolts, cut off the current bolts, then I'll be ready for the next time I need to remove them.
I've been replacing any hardware I touch (and can) with stainless steel parts and a tiny (and I mean tiny) application of never-seize. Has made subsequent maintenance a breeze to disassemble.

Quick Reply: Struggling with ignition coil replacement