Sponsored by:

Rear jacking point

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2018, 07:31 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear jacking point

Word of caution. I have seen it described that there is a valid jacking point at the rear of the engine just aft of the sump. I used this point two days ago with no issues, but did it today and -sploosh- the right rear engine mount lost its guts. Its an early 1999 C2 Tiptronic, and its very possible the mounts were about to go any moment anyway (but they were clean, no leaks, until now). It is also possible that while the mounts were happy with the weight of the engine pressing DOWN on them (they are likely built to withstand significant COMPRESSION), the stress of lifting the car and engine UP when jacking somehow exceeded the capacity of the mounts in the EXTEND direction. Just a thought.

Wanted to share my experience, in case it may make someone think twice about about using this point. As this is my first post here, I'd just like to compliment the community on the value I've already gotten from this forum. Appreciate very much being able to learn from others experiences.
Old 11-24-2018, 03:59 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by rabele
Word of caution. I have seen it described that there is a valid jacking point at the rear of the engine just aft of the sump. I used this point two days ago with no issues, but did it today and -sploosh- the right rear engine mount lost its guts. Its an early 1999 C2 Tiptronic, and its very possible the mounts were about to go any moment anyway (but they were clean, no leaks, until now). It is also possible that while the mounts were happy with the weight of the engine pressing DOWN on them (they are likely built to withstand significant COMPRESSION), the stress of lifting the car and engine UP when jacking somehow exceeded the capacity of the mounts in the EXTEND direction. Just a thought.

Wanted to share my experience, in case it may make someone think twice about about using this point. As this is my first post here, I'd just like to compliment the community on the value I've already gotten from this forum. Appreciate very much being able to learn from others experiences.
Thanks for sharing. Good thing there was (presumably) no damage or injury. Welcome to RL.
Old 11-24-2018, 04:24 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Good PSA! I think you misunderstood though... it’s fairly common knowledge that the engine should NEVER be used as a “jackpoint” to lift the car! The spot you mentioned can be used to support the weight of the engine when changing the mounts - not lifting the car. If you need to lift the car and don’t want to use the right of left rear lift points, the alternative would be to use the rear crossmember... never try to lift the weight of the car via the engine - even if you’ve got solid engine mounts (as you found out the hard way).
Old 11-25-2018, 12:01 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

+996 on the cross member. I use a hockey puck on my floor jack.
Old 11-25-2018, 05:30 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

Wanted to share my experience, in case it may make someone think twice about about using this point.

Thanks for taking the time to share with us. While a lot of us know about the cross member as a jacking point, there are tons of "resources" out there that suggest using the sump plate. ("Resources" because a lot of the instructional videos come from everyday Joes like me, not trained professionals.)
Old 11-25-2018, 08:36 PM
rabele
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
While a lot of us know about the cross member as a jacking point, there are tons of "resources" out there that suggest using the sump plate.
Yep, no harm (to anyone or anything except that mount). Good lesson learned, maybe more than one!. "Caveat Legit," reader beware, according my 8th grade Latin.
re your point Dr. Strangelove, on the sump. I think I used a solid point on the engine, not the sump plate, at least I think so. I think I got the idea from this thread. But again, my own fault.

Thanks again, everyone. Car's new to me so I'm still working to freshen up all the consumables and establish some good baselines. 1999 C2 Tip, black on black 67K or so miles.
Did the rear brakes and rotors today, just avoided triggering the warning sensor.
In other projects: oil done. Sump inspected, magnetic drain plug was just a little fuzzy, couple pieces of old sealant in the uptake filter. (Man, that Locktite 5900 is a pain, when its 37 degrees out! Drei bond for me next time.)
Strongly suspect struts and bump stops need a refresh.
Perhaps I'll post pics on the new engine mount install when they arrive!
Cheers.
Old 11-26-2018, 05:01 AM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Received 59 Likes on 40 Posts

If you use your emergency jack in the rear jack point to lift the rear slightly you can then get a trolley jack in at the rear past the engine to the rear suspension cross member , I usually jack on this , be careful you jack plate is rotated correctly so as not to damage the aluminium though the I put axle stands under the jacking points on each side once the emergency jack has been moved out of the way, don't fancy jacking onto the engine at all 😱
Old 11-26-2018, 07:09 AM
rabele
Intermediate

For clarity, in below diagram, I believe the cross member referenced above is part 6 in the below diagram. My parts list has the following possible part numbers (and corresponding model years).
996 331 261 05 (98)
996 331 261 06 (-99)
996 331 261 07 (-01)
996 331 261 10 (02-)
997 331 261 02
Cheers.
Old 11-26-2018, 08:25 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

^^ Yes^^ - FYI, my car is lowered about an inch and I can still roll my low profile jack under to jack by the cross member. Once it's up in the air I can put my jack-stands under the rear jack points.
Old 11-26-2018, 11:15 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts

My jack isn't quite low enough with the hockey puck so I have to drive my car up on 1 x 8 boards to get the clearance. I have to remember to put the boards back under the tires before I lower the car. I forgot once and had to borrow my neighbors jack to get my jack out. Live and learn.
Old 11-26-2018, 01:07 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

For clarity, in below diagram, I believe the cross member referenced above is part 6 in the below diagram. My parts list has the following possible part numbers (and corresponding model years).
996 331 261 05 (98)
996 331 261 06 (-99)
996 331 261 07 (-01)
996 331 261 10 (02-)
997 331 261 02
Cheers.
Yes part 6 that's the one
Old 11-26-2018, 01:09 PM
Noz1974
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by wyovino
My jack isn't quite low enough with the hockey puck so I have to drive my car up on 1 x 8 boards to get the clearance. I have to remember to put the boards back under the tires before I lower the car. I forgot once and had to borrow my neighbors jack to get my jack out. Live and learn.
Just use your emergency tire jack to lift the car a little to get your trolley jack under instead of driving on boards might be easier !!
Old 11-26-2018, 02:26 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by wyovino
^^ Uh yeah... now that you mention it, I have to drive mine onto "ramps" as well (I made them out of 2x10's with 2x4's at the ends and down the center). I also need these to use my lift bars... I'm not sure exactly what I was thinking about earlier... Oops! I'm a dope sometimes...
Old 12-20-2018, 12:02 PM
rabele
Intermediate

On the upside, this mistake gave me reason to replace the engine mounts which I did this weekend. Existing mounts were both showing a lot more rubber than the new Rein ones I'd ordered, so it was probably due for a refresh anyway. And while in there, with the airbox out and the SAI out, I lubed the SAI bearing, replaced the engine air filter (pic below, yikes!), and replaced the serpentine belt. She's new to me so I'm still working on establishing new baselines for everything.

date code on old filter: "10-05-02"
Old 12-20-2018, 06:31 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

On the upside, this mistake gave me reason to replace the engine mounts which I did this weekend. Existing mounts were both showing a lot more rubber than the new Rein ones I'd ordered, so it was probably due for a refresh anyway. And while in there, with the airbox out and the SAI out, I lubed the SAI bearing, replaced the engine air filter (pic below, yikes!), and replaced the serpentine belt. She's new to me so I'm still working on establishing new baselines for everything.

date code on old filter: "10-05-02"
That must be one of those 15 year filters. I've seen a few of those before in older vehicles I purchased. I've come across some "lifetime" engine oil too!

Quick Reply: Rear jacking point