Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Please help, bought used and may have bitten off more than...

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 04:25 PM
Bash Hat
Three Wheelin'

Received 414 Likes on 193 Posts

If once you get the car checked out & it's not something catastrophic, do yourself a favor & bin that K&N intake and put the stock box back on. Ask me how I know
Old 11-20-2018, 06:05 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

So I am confused, you bought this car while making this noise? I hope you got it really cheap because that sounds more like a knock than a tick and thats not good. Did you remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away? I doubt it but its worth a shot. I feel for you and I fear your wife instincts may be correct, this seems like a bad buy. Lastly are you taking this to just any mechanic, or a known local shop that works on Porsche. The fact he is thinking head gaskets tells me ( and probably most on the forum) he isn't familiar with these cars. Smoke could be blow by if the noise is from piston slap (bore score) or it could be a bad AOS. There are just so many scenarios that you really need to have a qualified tech look at it.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:06 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Mbren1979
as a mechanic i can answer that easily. It wont take 2.5 hours. Maybe an hours tops. But book time is book time. Some times we can do the job faster, some times we get screwed. But the way it works is the customer gets charged by the book.
Yep!
If you've been doing this a while you usually beat book time, sometimes you don't.
That's the challenge of working flat rate.
I almost always beat book time, especially on jobs I've done before.
Each subsequent time you do a certain repair on a specific yr/make/model you're normally a bit faster.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:21 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Yep!
If you've been doing this a while you usually beat book time, sometimes you don't.
That's the challenge of working flat rate.
I almost always beat book time, especially on jobs I've done before.
Each subsequent time you do a certain repair on a specific yr/make/model you're normally a bit faster.
agreed. I was trying to be nice so it dosent seem like us mechanics screw everyone like some always think. The times that you dont meet book time are more like broken fastners or when the **** hits the fan. Hardly happens but when it does you just hate life sometimes.
Old 11-20-2018, 06:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

agreed. I was trying to be nice so it dosent seem like us mechanics screw everyone like some always think. The times that you dont meet book time are more like broken fastners or when the **** hits the fan. Hardly happens but when it does you just hate life sometimes.
Now that I provide free labor, beating book time is not as critical as it used to be.
Also, now I spend a lot more time talking with and explaining how things work with the car owners.
(well the ones who are interested that is)
I'm normally in no hurry to get them out the door so that I can jump onto the next car.
Most customers seem to not mind how long it takes to get their car fixed.
I don't work many days, and my family's schedule gets in the way.
But I let them know up front how long it will take.

I also have several people working for me who are learning how to work on cars.
That makes it take a lot longer too.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:08 PM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Now that I provide free labor, beating book time is not as critical as it used to be.
Also, now I spend a lot more time talking with and explaining how things work with the car owners.
(well the ones who are interested that is)
I'm normally in no hurry to get them out the door so that I can jump onto the next car.
Most customers seem to not mind how long it takes to get their car fixed.
I don't work many days, and my family's schedule gets in the way.
But I let them know up front how long it will take.

I also have several people working for me who are learning how to work on cars.
That makes it take a lot longer too.
props to ya. It nice to hear other people who do good work and give back to the community. Finding good techs now a days is hard.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:12 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

props to ya. It nice to hear other people who do good work and give back to the community. Finding good techs now a days is hard.
Thanks, it's a great way to minister to people and help them out.
I really enjoy doing it.
I also enjoy teaching people how to work on cars.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:39 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

To all the mechanics, I did not mean to imply anything shady by the shop. In fact, even after the quoted starting price I was still going to use them, but then I found a recommended mechanic on other part of town. But know this, while on my cars I do most of my own work, there is a mechanic down the road whom I have more respect for than anyone, trust him fully. I asked him to look at the Porsche but he said to try out this other guy where the car is now. Left it with him and he's going to go through it.

By the way, I changed the oil last night and today the CEL went off and stayed off the whole way to the Indy (~25 miles). Question, I've driven this car for over 700 miles now with zero issues other than a ticking sound. The thing is so incredibly fast and powerful. If the problem was scoring or head, shouldn't I notice something? Yet I don't notice anything--feels like a brand new engine, nice and tight. Anyway, the Indy who has it now when he saw the smoke he said that was normal to see when the temps drop this low. When I took the above video last night, the car was outside and it was about 8°F. I'll post again if he finds anything.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:44 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Keep us posted...
Old 11-20-2018, 08:45 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

From my own reading most report ticking without performance issues.

So just to clarify, you bought the car with the ticking and the smoke or that came after the purchase? Also just a thought - are the cold temps perhaps exacerbating the smoke? Either way my tip is definitely try to make sure the indy has experience with a 996...
Old 11-20-2018, 08:50 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan_189

So just to clarify, you bought the car with the ticking and the smoke or that came after the purchase?
Why, does that matter? Either way there is a ticking noise.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Originally Posted by WonByOne
I'm just curious, although not telling us the full story doesn't really help.

Anyway feel free not to share anything you're not comfortable sharing.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:52 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by WonByOne
The reason I asked is because if you heard this noise you must have asked the PO, what did he say?
Old 11-20-2018, 08:53 PM
WonByOne
Instructor

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
So I am confused, you bought this car while making this noise? I hope you got it really cheap because that sounds more like a knock than a tick and thats not good. Did you remove the serpentine belt and see if the noise goes away? I doubt it but its worth a shot. I feel for you and I fear your wife instincts may be correct, this seems like a bad buy. Lastly are you taking this to just any mechanic, or a known local shop that works on Porsche. The fact he is thinking head gaskets tells me ( and probably most on the forum) he isn't familiar with these cars. Smoke could be blow by if the noise is from piston slap (bore score) or it could be a bad AOS. There are just so many scenarios that you really need to have a qualified tech look at it.
I ended up getting a little knocked off...or should I say "ticked" off to not jinx myself. Im learning it's a gamble, one that has big upside or big downside...time will tell. But I figure, if you're going to own a 911, you better be a bit of a risk taker.
Old 11-20-2018, 08:55 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

You asked the questions, why get "knocked off" when we are trying to figure out what you have going on. I gave you some sound advice, did you remove the belt to see if the noise was a fully or tensioner?

Quick Reply: Please help, bought used and may have bitten off more than...