996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Double Din install bad Metra kit?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 07:30 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Double Din install bad Metra kit?

I just need another opinion on this, I could be wrong, but don't know how I am. A couple of months ago I installed a double din headunit using a Metra 99-9605B mounting kit. The headunit doesn't sit flush with the stock dash so I went back in and was trying to figure out why. As you can see in the pictures below, I think the mounting kit is too tall to fit in the OEM cradle. It doesn't clear the bottom lip.

Has anyone had to "fix" this themselves?

The kit is sitting as "high" as it can in the cradle

Yet the fascia is too "long" to clear the OEM cradle lip.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:04 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

The instructions that came with my install kit showed me where I had to trim the factory radio bezel, I ground it down with a sawzall and that was that. Super easy. Also buy the converter to turn your cigarette lighter into a usb port.

If I can dig up the install book I will post
Old 11-20-2018, 07:13 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

I talked to Crutchfield support, and they pointed out to me that I had NOT cut / trimmed the top eye holes as indicated at in the instructions.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:13 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

So here it is, it clearly shows you need to trim the center bar out and those little nub pieces.

Attached Images
File Type: pdf
Instructions.pdf (1.42 MB, 205 views)
Old 11-20-2018, 07:14 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by iotapi322
I talked to Crutchfield support, and they pointed out to me that I had NOT cut / trimmed the top eye holes as indicated at in the instructions.
I just uploaded you the instructions if you need them. Crutchfield was awesome to work with when I bought my kit
Old 11-20-2018, 07:16 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

The shaded area in the instructions were really easy to over look.
Old 11-20-2018, 07:17 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Glad you got it sorted out
Old 12-29-2018, 05:57 PM
montauk
Instructor

I'm also using the metra kit. I can't figure out how to put the two black plastic U shaped pieces around the radio and still keep the cup holder. The metra instructions don't show the cupholder. Any suggestions?
thanks
Dave
Old 12-29-2018, 06:00 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

The radio is sitting too high in the faceplate would be my theory, make sure you cut out the very top of the shaded area. Take a pic of what your cut out looks like now close up front view. I'll try and help.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:46 PM
montauk
Instructor

Thanks but I guess I didn't explain the problem too well. The radio fits perfectly in the metra mount and the metra mount slides right into the dash chassis and sits properly. The problem is that I'm supposed to secure the radio to the metra mount and then secure the metra mount to the chassis then slide it all into the dash. It looks like the metra mount only works if you don't have the top mounted stock porsche cup holder.
Old 12-29-2018, 07:52 PM
iotapi322
Instructor

I see what your saying, I had lost the u shaped plastic pieces by the time I got the radio mounted properly.
I ended up taking the whole plastic “cage” out of the car and I mounted the radio and the cage together on my work bench with some self tapping screws from the sides. Not optimal, but hasn’t moved at all.
Old 12-29-2018, 09:34 PM
montauk
Instructor

Originally Posted by iotapi322
I see what your saying, I had lost the u shaped plastic pieces by the time I got the radio mounted properly.
I ended up taking the whole plastic “cage” out of the car and I mounted the radio and the cage together on my work bench with some self tapping screws from the sides. Not optimal, but hasn’t moved at all.
I was thinking about doing something like that too. For now, it's held in place with tape. I'm thinking of just buying the mount kit and trim from CAI.
Dave
Old 09-22-2021, 03:54 AM
Roofless 1
Rennlist Member

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by montauk
I was thinking about doing something like that too. For now, it's held in place with tape. I'm thinking of just buying the mount kit and trim from CAI.
Dave
I'm having a similar issue with the Metra kit for a DDIN change-out of the Becker/Siemens PCM and Navi in my 1999 996 C4 Cab.

I find it difficult to believe any qualified design was done on this. The two U shaped clamps that hold the head unit firmly(ish) in the Porsche factory horseshoe, foul the integral dashboard metal shelf that the horseshoe and head unit sit on, and also force the center A/C vent pipe up so it doesn't mate cleanly into the housing.

I will take photos and post tomorrow, but now consider the Metra mount to be rubbish! I haven't even started on the lack of sympathetic curves in the fascia bracket to at least try to blend with the OEM dash.

My only choice is to cut away the screw sections that connect the two U clamps and jury rig a lower profile connection so the new head unit doesn't pop out of the center console and visit the rear seat when I make a spirited takeoff at the lights.

I now consider the Metra a temporary solution and will likely carve something more functional and aesthetically pleasing out of mahogany or walnut.
Old 09-22-2021, 03:02 PM
Neubauten
Intermediate

Received 34 Likes on 14 Posts

I think this U-shape bracket is some kind of standard component put into the set without any consideration as to how to package it in the car.
The only way to assemble this properly is to screw directly the head unit in the cage.

Apart from that, I found the kit quality reasonably good, especially considering the cost.

Quick Reply: Double Din install bad Metra kit?