Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Best price on LN IMS Retrofit parts? & how to prove the IMSB work has been done?

Search this Thread

Old 11-18-2018, 09:45 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts
Default Best price on LN IMS Retrofit parts? & how to prove the IMSB work has been done?

While I have the transmission out of my 2000 996 (with a dual row IMS bearing) I figure I’ll replace the bearing. It currently has a LN bearing from 2015, which is fine, but this seems like a good time to preventatively update it. No time like the present since the transmission is out. I have the LN tools to do the job already.

Does anyone know who carries the LN dual row classic Retrofit for the best price? Does anyone know if there are black friday sales that might apply?

I’m not losing sleep over the bearing, but I’ll probably sell the car eventually, and I’d like to have this as a non-issue.

As a buyer, what kind of evidence would you want to show that the bearing had been replaced? Since I’m doing it myself, I’ll only have a sales reciept and any evidence that I can provide (pictures, etc.). If I’m going to bother doing the work, I want to get the value out of it.

Thanks!

PS. I will replace the flywheel and pressure plate bolts with new ones, and I already have the right sealants. I probably won’t touch the RMS unless is has signs if wear/failure, since I just replaced it with the latest version a year ago (under 1000 miles driven).
Old 11-18-2018, 10:20 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

You can usually find the best deals on LN Engineering stuff from Charles’ eBay account:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...pg=50&_fosrp=1

Looks like you can save a couple hundred dollars.

Picture proof(pre-qualification) and maybe a short video should work.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 11-18-2018 at 10:38 AM.
Old 11-18-2018, 10:32 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Don't forget the prequalification steps documented with pictures. I as a buyer would be leery of a DIY job! Not saying you can't do it right but a professional installation is worth its weight in gold to me...
Old 11-18-2018, 10:37 AM
Mbren1979
Burning Brakes

Received 127 Likes on 103 Posts

When i purschased my car from the dealer i had them take a bunch of pictures throught the process. Not just close up pictures but several that actually showed the car on the lift, some from a distance showing the trans coming out and some up close of the repair. I figured if i do ever sell it there is no question it was done. I don't think this will work in your case but the old bearing can be sent in to LN with paperwork to document on their site that its been done. However i am not sure if they will since you are doing it as a DIY instead of through a shop. But either way, pictures are hard to argue with.
Old 11-18-2018, 03:45 PM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I have a 2003 targa 74,000 miles, so i thought time to change bearing and seal, dropped engine, pulled apart and found out that bearing had failed in 2010, Porsche warranted it and replaced with new engine? When I called the dealer that did it I asked why they did not tell me that when I called before to check on car, there response was we only keep records for 2 yrs, go figure!

So I have a Ln bearing kit and seal that I will at reduced price if any body interested.
Thanks
John
Old 11-18-2018, 04:11 PM
TSMacNeil
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

An authorized LN installer will affix a barcode to the door jamb drivers’ side near the strike plate. That barcode identifies the bearing that has been installed by serial number.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:44 PM
Sula
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

how to prove the IMSB work has been done
One advantage of the IMS Solution is that the spin-on filter and associated oil feed line are easy to spot in a casual inspection.
Old 11-18-2018, 05:57 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Thanks, all. I’m following up with the offer.

I’ll do the pre-qualification, take a ton of pictures, and make sure I get up close and on the lift pictures.

I’m not doing the Solution, since this is not my forever car. If I were replacing the bearing on my 2002 (which I will never do myself because it is an AT replacement large single row, and I am not skilled enough to split the case), I would definitely go for the Solution. With this car, it’ll get the LN replacement, and that will be good for several years. The work is no big deal for me, so if on some off chance I still have it in the reccomended replacement interval, I’ll just do the work to replace it again.
Old 11-18-2018, 06:05 PM
Fredycrudas
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
You can usually find the best deals on LN Engineering stuff from Charles’ eBay account:
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...pg=50&_fosrp=1

Looks like you can save a couple hundred dollars.

Picture proof(pre-qualification) and maybe a short video should work.

$549 and free shipping very good price.
Old 11-19-2018, 12:49 AM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

Originally Posted by Fredycrudas

$549 and free shipping very good price.
That price is not the LN IMSB on my website. This is what I show:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/LN-IMS-Retr...8:pf:0&vxp=mtr

$639. Still a good price. I believe the $549 is for the RND product.

I did the bearing myself. Took plenty of pics, before, during, after, and with the old bearing in my hand as it came out of the car. Also kept the bearing for the next buyer of the car. I also had a helper who could verify that the bearing in my hand came out of the car I said it did. The offered warranty of a new bearing was a microscopic piece of the total cost should the installed bearing have failed. A check for $700 is cold comfort when staring at a $20k engine rebuild.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:40 AM
jdoc1949
Rennlist Member

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

The invoice I have is from L.N Engineering LLC, Bilt Racing Service,Momence ILL and there is a registration card #00598. If not yours whose is it?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:18 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

The seller on the ebay link is LN? or who? Someone mentioned Charles but I don't understand why these would be offered on ebay cheaper than LN's website?
Old 11-19-2018, 10:47 AM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Looking at this ebay link a little more, the IMS Solution offered by the seller "type4store" is $500 less than LN's website, $1371. I also notice this same store offering Pelican's ims bearing kit.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:54 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Comes in a box with a label and receipt from LN Engineering.
Charles said it was his eBay account several months ago.
The tools are "used", although mine looked like they had never been touched.
I ordered both IMS bearing installation tool sets earlier this year.
I'm tempted to get the Faultless toolset and save myself some cash.
Hopefully it's still around in a couple of weeks!

They have only 1 Pelican bearing for sale.
Maybe they were looking at it and are reselling it now.
It might have been an example of "here's what the competition's looks like."
Just guessing!
Old 11-19-2018, 11:05 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by danielcooper9
the IMS Solution offered by the seller "type4store" is $500 less than LN's website, $1371.
Yes, but it comes without the tool rental option.
That's a great deal for anyone who already has the tools, like me.
I can buy The IMS Solution for a second personal 996(or 986) a little cheaper.
I can also offer The IMS Solution install locally and save having to ship their 996 300 miles away to the nearest Certified Installer.
Note: I'm currently swamped with customer vehicles, so I'm NOT offering The IMS Solution installs right now.

Quick Reply: Best price on LN IMS Retrofit parts? & how to prove the IMSB work has been done?