Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Other Porsche models? Bitten by the Porsche bug!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-2018, 03:46 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

I owned a 928 and sold it to buy the 996. At 12K, you're probably looking at a 16V car (before 1985). I loved the car, but on my 82 the three speed auto was a drag and all the 16V cars are slow. Manual trans in a 928 is rare, and pricey. I second the Cayman idea. I use the back seats in the 996 for the kids, but if that wasn't a concern I would have went with a Cayman S. I could have gone for a newer model year for the same money as my 2000 996.
Old 11-15-2018, 04:01 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield
I owned a 928 and sold it to buy the 996. At 12K, you're probably looking at a 16V car (before 1985). I loved the car, but on my 82 the three speed auto was a drag and all the 16V cars are slow. Manual trans in a 928 is rare, and pricey. I second the Cayman idea. I use the back seats in the 996 for the kids, but if that wasn't a concern I would have went with a Cayman S. I could have gone for a newer model year for the same money as my 2000 996.
Im not sure where the 12k number came from, I think it was just assumed because of the cars I posted. I would spend more on the right deal for sure. The Caymans are ok but not what I had in mind. Im also not too overly concerned with power as Its more of a "just owning another cool car" thing. Something about the 928 is appealing to me.

I am now going to go look up some Caymans just to say I didn't exclude a viable option....
Old 11-15-2018, 06:56 PM
pszikla
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Old 11-15-2018, 08:55 PM
MikeinBloomfield
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepwr
Im not sure where the 12k number came from, I think it was just assumed because of the cars I posted. I would spend more on the right deal for sure. The Caymans are ok but not what I had in mind. Im also not too overly concerned with power as Its more of a "just owning another cool car" thing. Something about the 928 is appealing to me.

I am now going to go look up some Caymans just to say I didn't exclude a viable option....

yeah, they are cool looking cars. The S4 is a good performer but prices are getting up there. I would drive one before you decide, compared to some other Porsche’s they can feel “heavy.” Really reassuring when you wind it up on the freeway, but not as nimble as other Porsches.

Some things to watch out for, especially timing belt service and thrust bearing. The 928 board on here is extremely active.
Old 11-15-2018, 09:03 PM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by MikeinBloomfield

yeah, they are cool looking cars. The S4 is a good performer but prices are getting up there. I would drive one before you decide, compared to some other Porsche’s they can feel “heavy.” Really reassuring when you wind it up on the freeway, but not as nimble as other Porsches.

Some things to watch out for, especially timing belt service and thrust bearing. The 928 board on here is extremely active.
Thank you, good information!
Old 11-16-2018, 01:15 AM
YT1
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love my 88 928 S4. It’s a good mix of the muscle car meets Porsche. Don’t expect a lot of interest in it, people don’t know what to make of them. I don’t care much what anyone thinks, mine drives great and sounds delightful. The early cars are neat and are starting to climb, just don’t expect them to be fast. My S4 gives my 996 a Run for it’s money and is rock solid at the top end.
Old 11-16-2018, 02:11 AM
SFaikel
Cruisin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My first Porsche was an 86 944 as a daily/winter car to my Alfa Romeo. I'll say this, with winter tires it was a blast to drive in the snow. Plus, pop up headlights!! But it was very high mileage and ended up causing some headaches so I let it go.

Out of of the options listed, I'd love to get into a well sorted 968. My sister has a newer Cayenne which I've found to be practical and surprisingly sporty. Between a Cayenne and a 996 you'd have a lot of bases covered, but I can't get over the auto trans.
Old 11-16-2018, 07:29 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Originally Posted by YT1
I love my 88 928 S4. It’s a good mix of the muscle car meets Porsche. Don’t expect a lot of interest in it, people don’t know what to make of them. I don’t care much what anyone thinks, mine drives great and sounds delightful. The early cars are neat and are starting to climb, just don’t expect them to be fast. My S4 gives my 996 a Run for it’s money and is rock solid at the top end.
Originally Posted by SFaikel
My first Porsche was an 86 944 as a daily/winter car to my Alfa Romeo. I'll say this, with winter tires it was a blast to drive in the snow. Plus, pop up headlights!! But it was very high mileage and ended up causing some headaches so I let it go.

Out of of the options listed, I'd love to get into a well sorted 968. My sister has a newer Cayenne which I've found to be practical and surprisingly sporty. Between a Cayenne and a 996 you'd have a lot of bases covered, but I can't get over the auto trans.
Excellent helpful info thanks guys!
Old 11-16-2018, 09:31 AM
joseph mitro
Race Car

Received 246 Likes on 160 Posts

Porsche bug? hm, yes. I've had air cooled, water cooled, front engine, rear engine, mid engine....you name it.

I love Porsches; especially the cheap ones which make great project cars

Quick Reply: Other Porsche models? Bitten by the Porsche bug!