Sponsored by:

New Owner/Member Checking In!

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2018, 12:02 PM
Deaton
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default New Owner/Member Checking In!

Hi guys/gals, just picked up a 1999 NB and am looking forward to learning a lot around here. Car is a bit rough but the price was right and I love to tinker so it's right up my alley.

Car sits on 19's (that rub) has a fiberglass front bumper cover and rear deck lid with a stupid wing (that fit bad), a 6-speed (that grinds into 2nd), headlights and tail lights with condensation in them, and a RMS or IMS seal that are leaking. So I've got my work cut out for me but the last week I've been driving it I've fallen in love with the car.

Greetings from Vancouver!
Dylan
Old 11-08-2018, 12:07 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Welcome!
Looks like a fun project to tinker with.

Is that a non-sunroof model?
If so, I'm jealous!
Old 11-08-2018, 12:45 PM
Deaton
Advanced

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
Welcome!
Looks like a fun project to tinker with.

Is that a non-sunroof model?
If so, I'm jealous!

Unfortunately it is a sunroof model which is something not listed in the ad for the car so I didn't know until I sat in it. The sunroof only sticks "occasionally" when trying to close it. And the operation of it is befuddling: when it's completely closed the back (open) arrow does nothing. I have to push the close button first until the sunroof pops all the way up. Then I have to push it again and the sunroof closes. Only then does pushing the sunroof open button slide the sunroof open. The middle button operates as one would expect and pops the sunroof up. Very weird. Does anyone make a good quality sunroof delete kit?
Old 11-08-2018, 12:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Congrats, I love white!
I'd get a good look at the oil and filter, drop the sump before driving it to much. Has it been sitting long?
Old 11-08-2018, 01:14 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Welcome! Now that you have the fever like all of us!

Nice car, even if it's rough. Mine was rough also, now it's all sorted out, took 3 months though.

I'd get the engine and trans sorted out first. Like 808bill says, drop the sump and check the engine first!

If you haven't already, find a very knowledgeable mechanic that has 996/M96 experience, not just, "oh yeah, I've worked on Porsche's before".
Old 11-08-2018, 01:30 PM
Deaton
Advanced

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
I'd get the engine and trans sorted out first. Like 808bill says, drop the sump and check the engine first!

If you haven't already, find a very knowledgeable mechanic that has 996/M96 experience, not just, "oh yeah, I've worked on Porsche's before".
Ya that's the plan. There's a local indy shop that deals primarily with Porsche's that the car is going to next week for a good front to end inspection. I'll have them drop the sump and take a peak inside thanks for the advice. The transmission is getting replaced with a unit from Gbox but I need to sell my other car (E34 M5) first though to raise $$$.... when I drop the 6 speed out I'll do the RMS, IMS, and clutch if required.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:31 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Also, watch Jake Raby's video series...Very informative.
Old 11-08-2018, 01:36 PM
Deaton
Advanced

Originally Posted by 808Bill
Congrats, I love white!
I'd get a good look at the oil and filter, drop the sump before driving it to much. Has it been sitting long?
Ha the car was originally silver and the previous owner changed to white himself when he did the body kit. But then he didn't like the white so he had it wrapped with white/gold flake vinyl and the wrap shop sanded the entire car prior to the wrap going on. I'm not a fan and the front bumper cover fits terribly so my future plan is to fit an OEM bumper cover from a turbo and have a shop repaint the car Porsche White.

Car was driven often before I bought it.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:16 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Deaton
Ha the car was originally silver and the previous owner changed to white himself when he did the body kit. But then he didn't like the white so he had it wrapped with white/gold flake vinyl and the wrap shop sanded the entire car prior to the wrap going on. I'm not a fan and the front bumper cover fits terribly so my future plan is to fit an OEM bumper cover from a turbo and have a shop repaint the car Porsche White.

Car was driven often before I bought it.
There's a turbo bumper for sale on FB (911 buy/sell) for $500. looked to be in great shape.
Old 11-08-2018, 02:23 PM
su8pack1
Racer

Received 59 Likes on 46 Posts

Congrats, looks great.
Old 11-08-2018, 07:20 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

Welcome to the party. If you like working on stuff, a 996 is a great project. I find them easy to work on, and there are a lot of great resources available to you on here for when you get stuck on something.
Old 11-08-2018, 08:15 PM
PelicanParts.com
Basic Sponsor
Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 32 Likes on 18 Posts

Hello and welcome to the forum! Great looking car - to help you get even more familiar with it, I'm attaching a link to our site's DIY tech articles. This will be a great resource if you're planning on working on the car yourself. Please let us know if you have any questions or if we can assist with any future part needs.

https://www.pelicanparts.com/techarticles/996_tech.htm
888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 11-08-2018, 10:17 PM
Triple Black
Rennlist Member

Received 72 Likes on 44 Posts

Welcome to the madhouse

I'm in Vancouver too. Same one?
Old 11-10-2018, 02:17 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Welcome and Congrats, keep up the good attitude, you will love it. I miss Vancouver, i used to go often. Is that crazy bridge (capilano?) still around?
Old 11-10-2018, 05:46 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Congrats and welcome. I think the white with gold wheels looks pretty sharp.

Your sunroof problem is quite common (I just started experiencing it myself actually). Some people have fixed it by removing the control board and cleaning it with electronics cleaner. I'm wondering if there is a stop limit switch somewhere that has gone bad. I plan on digging deeper into it soon.

Cheers
Charlie

Quick Reply: New Owner/Member Checking In!