996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Floor Mats -- Mat-Lock Alternative?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2004, 09:42 PM
mortonmj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Floor Mats -- Mat-Lock Alternative?

** If this topic has been exhausted, please just post the URL to the thread that provides the info I'm looking for...thanks

I got a set of Porsche OEM floor mats with my new '03 C2, however I'm having an **** moment and am hesitant to use the Mat-Loc disk to prevent slipping because you have to "auger" it into the floor carpeting. I thought about using some no-slip stuff you use in your home under carpets, but I am worried it might melt on a nice hot North Carolina day.

So first, comments are welcome if others are using the Mat-Loc and feel it does minimal damage to the existing carpeting. Second, are there any other non-destructive ideas out there?

Thanks!
Old 01-25-2004, 10:43 PM
Davidmichael
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've used the lock mats on my 993. No problem. My 03 996 mats have two 3" round Velcro patches that weork great. They are Porsche mats, I wonder if you could trade yours with your dealer for the Velcro ones?
Old 01-25-2004, 11:05 PM
mortonmj
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh my mats have the velcro..I'm just currently not using the loc to mate with velcro because I wanted some opinions before I crank the loc into the floor.

I wish Porsche did what BMW does and have a channel in the floor already where the loc turns into it or alternatively the plastic loc-down for their OEM rubber mats. Good design...

Thanks for the response.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:01 AM
raffi
Pro

i used velcro-tape on the driver side, stuck it on the vinyl near the pedals, It wont hold down as strong as the velcro piece that you screw in but it wont cause any damage to the carpet either. i dont have problems with the passenger side moving around.
Old 01-26-2004, 12:06 AM
Tool Pants
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Try them without them. I have the OEM mats except mine are made by Lloyds and they do not move due to the heavy rubber backing. A few years ago Porsche changed suppliers and the quality is not as good - so I do not know if they will move. Also prior to the velcro they were attached to the seat rails and we did not have to screw anything into the carpet. You can still get this type from Lloyds but they can no longer put a Porsche logo on them. Jeff
Old 01-26-2004, 10:12 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

I have the 3" round velco disc things (is that Mat Lock?) they work great. The car actually was missing a set on the driver side, but had 2 on the passenger side. I removed one from the passenger side, put it on the driver side. Neither mat slips, and on the passenger side you can't tell where the disc was. I was under the impression that the floor of the car was sort of pre-drilled for them.
PS - without anything to hold the mat in place it was always moving around, tried putting velcro on the underside of the driver mat, didn't really do much....

Quick Reply: Floor Mats -- Mat-Lock Alternative?