996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

LN Engineering Sump Guard Plate Review

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2019, 09:14 PM
shft22
Instructor

Received 48 Likes on 30 Posts

Guys, I just installed the 2 quart deep sump and skid plate from LNE on my 02 C4S, like other I had to modify the plate a bit so it will clear the bottom of the sump, now I have 1/4 clearance all around.

The Plate looks like it will protect the engine well but I do have a major issue and it is related to noise. The noise in the cabin while the car is on gear is horrendous, it sounds like a transmission with straight gears, actually it sounds more like a race car with racing trany, bad bearings and no insulation.

I know some of you have had this for a while, has anyone done anything to minimize this noise, or are you all just living with it.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:55 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

At what speed does the noise start?
Old 01-29-2019, 11:19 PM
shft22
Instructor

It start as soon as the car starts moving, it sounds like bad bearing, in combination of the wining a strait gear trany would make. It is very annoying. It is specially loud with the windows closed.

I think I am going to remove the skid plate tomorrow all together to verify that it is what is causing the noise. I am not a big believer in coincidences, but who knows, something else could have good bad. It is very loud.

Last edited by shft22; 01-30-2019 at 08:38 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:41 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 807 Likes on 545 Posts

Keep us posted.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:45 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,479 Likes on 1,323 Posts

Yes, mine is a little noisy, but not horrible.
I’m considering using this to get reduce noise some:
https://store.secondskinaudio.com/sp...n-made-in-usa/
Old 01-30-2019, 09:59 AM
shft22
Instructor

Hmmm, that product looks interesting. Are you thinking of coating the skid plate? The noise could be just the plate vibrating, applying this coating may reduce/eliminate the resonance caused by the vibration.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

What is the noise like, or coming from? I have one on the bench waiting to go on (along with a 2qt sump and 997 oil tubes), and I was under the impression that it is better than the (smaller) factory skid that is on there now. Isn’t it firmly mounted? I’d like to plan ahead if I need to do something to address noise issues.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:29 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by shft22
Hmmm, that product looks interesting. Are you thinking of coating the skid plate? The noise could be just the plate vibrating, applying this coating may reduce/eliminate the resonance caused by the vibration.
I'm thinking about applying it to the top of the sump guard.
That way it won't show, and it should stop any noise due to vibration.
I'm fairly certain that's what causes the noise from mine.
When I first installed it I had a had rattle when the engine was above idle.
I re-tightened everything and the rattle went away, but there's still a slight hum from vibration.
When you have someone rev up the engine and you hold the plate you can feel the vibration.

This is of course on a long list of things I want to do to my car.
(roll bar install, AOS, lowering the coilovers, sump guard sound deadening)
I'm not sure how soon I'll get around to it.
I currently have the sump guard removed.
I removed it when I did the water pump a couple of weeks ago and decided I'd keep it off until I can add some sound deadening.
If it looks like it will be a long time, I will probably put it back on.
The following 2 users liked this post by TexSquirrel:
Tsmith5150 (02-13-2020), turkis_tii (10-31-2019)
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM
Charles Navarro
Rennlist Member

Received 1,201 Likes on 620 Posts

We've never had a report of added noise. I have run one on my Boxster for years, but I have solid trans mounts, so there is a bit more noise already. Porsche uses dynamat like pads in strategic spots. It may be something that adding a pad of dynamat may solve the resonance issue.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:32 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
What is the noise like, or coming from? I have one on the bench waiting to go on (along with a 2qt sump and 997 oil tubes), and I was under the impression that it is better than the (smaller) factory skid that is on there now. Isn’t it firmly mounted? I’d like to plan ahead if I need to do something to address noise issues.
On mine, it sounds like a high pitched hum.
I think it is because it is so large of a piece of stainless steel and there is no attachment in the middle.

It is better than the factory sump guard.
It is thicker metal and it attaches to the frame of the car, not the engine case.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:34 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Charles Navarro
We've never had a report of added noise. I have run one on my Boxster for years, but I have solid trans mounts, so there is a bit more noise already. Porsche uses dynamat like pads in strategic spots. It may be something that adding a pad of dynamat may solve the resonance issue.
I have some old Dynamat that I've probably had for 20 years now.
I was going to put that on mine, but when I checked to see if it could be added to the outside of a vehicle, I never found any suggestions that it would be OK.
I've considered trying some just to see.
But then I found the sound deadening I posted above which is good for outside.

@Kris Murphy said they have added noise too.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:35 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Thanks!
Old 01-30-2019, 11:14 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 182 Likes on 114 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I have some old Dynamat that I've probably had for 20 years now.
I was going to put that on mine, but when I checked to see if it could be added to the outside of a vehicle, I never found any suggestions that it would be OK.
I've considered trying some just to see.
But then I found the sound deadening I posted above which is good for outside.

@Kris Murphy said they have added noise too.
Yeah. I have an occasional rattle, and the whirring hum. It does not happen all of the time, just at certain RPMs. I'll look to add something at some point, but since the car is mostly driven on the track, it does not bother me, since you cannot hear it over the track noise.
Old 01-30-2019, 11:21 AM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 424 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by shft22
It start as soon as the car starts moving, it sounds like bad bearing, in convination of the wining a strait gear trany would make. It is very annoying. It is specially loud with the windows closed.

I think I am going to remove the skid plate tomorrow all together to verify that it is what is causing the noise. I am not a big believer in coincidences, but who knows, something else could have good bad. It is very loud.
My car has a god awful whine to it after it is warmed up, especially on de-acceleration.
I thought it was the Numeric Shift cables, but maybe it is the skid plate.

Can you record with your phone and upload a audio of the noise?
Old 01-30-2019, 06:49 PM
shft22
Instructor

OK, so I can confirm the skid plate generates, or magnifies the noise. I removed it and the car is back to its normal noise level.

One thing I tried before removing it, thinking the plate was vibrating, I jammed a piece of rubber hose between the skid plate and the sump cover, this did not make any difference on the noise level. Also I had a rattle when I first installed it, this was because the plate touching the sump, I had to bend the plate a bit more in the front so it will clear the sump, this fixed the rattle, but it did nothing for the whining noise.

I have a DE event this Saturday so I am going to run the car without the Skid plate, after I will regroup and see what to do. I only have 4 1/4" clearance between the bottom of the sump and the ground, I do drive the car on the streets a lot I think I am going to replace the 2Q sump with the 1/2Q one +x51 baffles and call it a day. It is unlikely I be running full slicks any time soon, and it is my understanding the the 1/2Q setup as described should be good enough.

Last edited by shft22; 01-30-2019 at 08:40 PM.

Quick Reply: LN Engineering Sump Guard Plate Review