Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2018, 01:49 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts
Default LN Engineering Sump Guard Plate Review

LN Engineering Sump Guard Plate Review

I purchased an LN Engineering sump guard plate(106-00.9) to replace the Porsche skid plate(996-107-981-00) that I currently own.

Why a skid plate?

I decided to add the Porsche skid plate(pictured above) soon after I purchased it.
My 996 came with The IMS Solution already installed.
The direct feed oil line hangs down below the factory sump, so I thought it might be a good idea to add a skid plate so that if I ran over anything it couldn't snag the oil line.
As you can see below, the Porsche skid plate doesn't protect the oil line as I'd hoped.

The Porsche skid plate attaches to the engine using existing bolts.
It is a very simple 5 minute installation.
You only need a 10mm wrench, or better yet a ratchet and socket.
No jacking up the car necessary if your 996 is stock USA height.

As you can see below the Porsche skid plate has done it's job protecting the sump.

Here in the Houston area, like most urban areas, there is constantly road construction going on.
When they work on streets in commercial areas, they leave a business access route which cuts across the construction area.
This construction access many times is just some piled up dirt so you can get into a parking lot.
A couple of times I had to turn into a parking lot and I heard my Porsche skid plate contact the concrete when entering the parking lot.
My car is stock height, so if a car is lowered, it is definitely likely to bottom out.

The 1.5"/40mm access hole in the Porsche skid plate is a bit narrow and you can end up with oil running down the skid plate instead of it going into your drain pan.
I suggest removing it before changing your oil.
Luckily it is easy to remove and only adds a few minutes to an oil change.

OK, but why replace your skid plate?

I plan on installing an LN Engineering 2qt deep sump kit in a couple of weeks.
The Porsche skid plate won't fit the engine without modifications.
I decided I'd replace the Porsche skid plate with the LN Engineering sump guard plate since it is designed to fit engines with or without deep sumps.
Also they advertise their "sump guard does not bolt directly to the engine like the original factory skid plate, providing superior protection to both the sump AND engine."
They also advertise that you can perform oil changes without removal.
The access hole in the LN Engineering sump guard plate is 2.742"/69mm, so hopefully it can remain in place during oil changes since it is more difficult to remove and install.
Porsche skid plate prices have skyrocketed in the last year, so I can sell my existing Porsche skid plate for 1/2 price and recoup my purchase price. (Win-win)

The LN Engineering sump guard plate is about the same thickness as the Porsche skid plate, but the material is stainless steel instead of the smaller Porsche which is lightweight aluminum skid plate.
Therefore it is a LOT heavier.
The LN Engineering sump guard plate weighs 9.13lbs/4.14kg, where as the smaller skid plate is 1.72lbs/.78kg.

If you‘re thinking about buying a $300 skid plate, make sure it is the LN Engineering one!
It can be installed on cars with or without a deep sump kit.
The only obvious negative is the LN Engineering one is heavier and the install is more time consuming.
If you can't afford the LN Engineering sump guard plate, try to find a used Porsche skid plate.
The Porsche skid plate is much better than a naked sump!

Note: Installing the LN Engineering sump guard plate is going to require jacking up the car and putting it on jack stands, so I decided to not install it at this time, but wait a couple more weeks until I install the deep sump kit.
I'll update this review if I notice anything interesting.
The following users liked this post:
sgt1372 (11-16-2020)
Old 10-19-2018, 08:20 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

You or your mechanic might want to check the install of oil feed line from the filter to the bearing . I have the IMS Solution installed and the oil line does not hang down at all - in fact it looks like the oil filter is the lowest point most at risk.
Old 10-19-2018, 08:47 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I installed the two quart deep sump kit plus the skid plate a few months ago. I had to loosen the exhaust bracket bolts near the rear of the engine and back them out about a quarter of an inch to get off the two bolts that hold the rear of the sump. It is a bit of a tight squeeze, but they do come out.

My driveway has a moderate slope and I scraped the skid plate backing out of the garage. I didn't even make it 10 feet! I have scraped it a few times since then. The skid plate is a necessity with the deep sump.
Old 10-20-2018, 01:36 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jhbrennan
You or your mechanic might want to check the install of oil feed line from the filter to the bearing . I have the IMS Solution installed and the oil line does not hang down at all - in fact it looks like the oil filter is the lowest point most at risk.
I’ve wondered about it, but it was installed by someone with the last name of Raby, so I haven’t touched it.
Of course the previous owner may have had some work on it and they may have moved it.
I think it will be fine once the LN sump guard is in place.
Old 10-20-2018, 12:11 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

The skid plat from LN looks like something anyone could make or have made. Is there something special about it that commands such a high price?
Old 10-21-2018, 12:52 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
The skid plat from LN looks like something anyone could make or have made. Is there something special about it that commands such a high price?
No, nothing really special.
If you have a brake press, a way to cut stainless steel, and have time to figure out the correct shape and bends, you could make your own.
It would have been nice if it had an LN Engineering or Porsche logo, that would be cool.
The Porsche skid plate is not worth $300+.
The were available for $150 last year.
Old 10-21-2018, 11:03 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel

No, nothing really special.
If you have a brake press, a way to cut stainless steel, and have time to figure out the correct shape and bends, you could make your own.
It would have been nice if it had an LN Engineering or Porsche logo, that would be cool.
The Porsche skid plate is not worth $300+.
The were available for $150 last year.
I had a chance to buy one (unscratched) for $25.00 on CL and the guy never got back to me.
Old 10-22-2018, 12:47 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I had a chance to buy one (unscratched) for $25.00 on CL and the guy never got back to me.
argh!
I hate when good deals like that get away.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:44 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Tex.

If you purchased the skid plate from LN recently, did they confirm that they have fixed the production issue they were having? They sent me two, both did not fit (they were hitting the pan). They told me they had a production issue, and just had me return both of them.

I ended up finding a used one (which had been modified a bit to fit) it was also half price which was nice. I have also found, as has someone else I track with that the plate can cause a whirring noise at certain RPMs. Almost like a bad bearing. Freaked me out at first, but got used to it. In the off season, I may try to adjust some things to get it to go away.

Overall great product, and I would not consider running the deep sump without it. My first track event after the install, spun and backed up over high curbing. The plate took the hit, not the pan.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

"The Porsche skid plate is not worth $300+. The were available for $150 last year."

I think I paid $125 about a year and a half ago... That's some serious inflation!
Old 10-22-2018, 11:23 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Tex.

If you purchased the skid plate from LN recently, did they confirm that they have fixed the production issue they were having?
No, they didn't.
I guess I'll find out if there is an issue when I install it.
That will probably be a couple of weekends away.
They sent me two, both did not fit (they were hitting the pan). They told me they had a production issue, and just had me return both of them.

I ended up finding a used one (which had been modified a bit to fit) it was also half price which was nice. I have also found, as has someone else I track with that the plate can cause a whirring noise at certain RPMs. Almost like a bad bearing. Freaked me out at first, but got used to it. In the off season, I may try to adjust some things to get it to go away.

Overall great product, and I would not consider running the deep sump without it. My first track event after the install, spun and backed up over high curbing. The plate took the hit, not the pan.
Glad to know it might add some unnerving sounds!
Thanks for letting me know.
Old 11-02-2018, 08:44 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

WEll, I installed my deep sump kit and then the sump guard today.
I also experienced a fitment issue.
It was making contact with one of the bumps on the bottom sump plate.
I opened a ticket with LN Engineering and they called me very quickly. (1 hour 18 minutes later)
I was in line to vote, so I welcomed the distraction.
Their suggestion was to bend it myself or have them send me another.
I opted to bend it myself using a dead blow hammer and a scrap of 4x4 wood.
It fits perfectly now!
I’m very happy it is there considering I have an inch less of clearance. Actually I made the sump guard hang an additional half inch below the sump.
So inch and a half less clearance now.
Here are some pictures:

Old 11-02-2018, 08:45 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Old 11-03-2018, 08:21 AM
JTT
Rennlist Member

Received 338 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I opened a ticket with LN Engineering and they called me very quickly. (1 hour 18 minutes later)
Cool huh? That's been my experience with LN too, incredible service level.
Old 11-03-2018, 12:01 PM
Nickshu
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 622 Posts

I had the 2 quart deep sump and skid plate from LNE on my 2003 C2. It hung really low and was not esthetic at all. I guess the cost of protecting the engine on the track. If I did it over I would have just done an Accusump instead.

Quick Reply: LN Engineering Sump Guard Plate Review