Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Anyone Recognize this 996 from Las Vegas??

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2018, 04:19 PM
Mr. Overkill
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anyone Recognize this 996 from Las Vegas??

closed

Last edited by Mr. Overkill; 05-02-2019 at 12:02 PM.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:29 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Look like some one modified a Mk1 cabriolet to appear like a Turbo. Wonder if it has some sort of aftermarket turbo kit on it. If not, I guess the side air inlets are there for just looks. Wonder why it was salvaged? The first thing I'd do is have the motor checked out and running properly.

Good luck with the project. I hope you'll post lots of images on the forum.
Old 10-03-2018, 04:35 PM
Mr. Overkill
Track Day

No idea, I am hoping to get in touch with the previous owner and get some info. car is due to arrive sometime next week. it has a NV title with a total loss brand on it. only has 31K miles on it. which according to the VIN report seems to be accurate. was a New jersey car, then sold to someone in Pennsylvania, then it went to California and then most likley wrecked. ended in in Vegas for the last 10 years with almost no miles added to it so it must have just sat for a long time.

I got it cheap. will find out if it even has an engine in it...could have a lawn mower engine in it for all i know LOL But it will be a fun project. I will post lots of pics.

I think it was owned by a friend of someone at "those car guys" or "the Car Guys" something like that...I overheard at the auction a conversation where they said something like it's a friend of Tony at Those Car guys....but I am not 100% of what they said. I can't seem to find any info on it at all
Old 10-03-2018, 05:27 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Body kit look a lot like this one on the opening in front of the rear tires.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/...700394771.html
Old 10-03-2018, 07:14 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

The wheels appear to be the OEM Sport Design wheels with aftermarket lips and barrels to make them wider.
Old 10-03-2018, 07:58 PM
Mr. Overkill
Track Day

Originally Posted by Capt. Obvious
The wheels appear to be the OEM Sport Design wheels with aftermarket lips and barrels to make them wider.
this is what I am thinking as well. Factory BBS 2 piece 10 spoke wheels with wider barrels on them. I have been googling but cannot find any specific places that modify Porsche Wheels.
Old 10-03-2018, 08:02 PM
Capt. Obvious
Rennlist Member

Received 1,427 Likes on 783 Posts

There's a ton of small wheel outfits that will do custom re-barrels. The bolt patterns are mostly standardized across the BBS wheel range, so there are plenty of options for aftermarket barrels.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:12 PM
Mr. Overkill
Track Day

well it arrived....and it's a complete..well almost complete Turd. not a square body part on the car. drivers window doesn't fit flush with the windshield pillar. like i can stick my finger in it huge gap. hard top has a big gap under it and the body. interior is falling apart all over the place. the GINORMOUS 20 year old impossible to find 335/25ZR19 Pirelli PZero tires are dry rotted to the point of falling off. car weeble wobbles away from a stop sign then wanders all over the place. the front wheel barrels are funky in that the center's don't sit right in them.

But, 31K miles on the motor and it runs well. brakes feel good. transmission shifts well. good oil pressure. temp sits right at 180-190. so I will likley be parting this car out. I have found a 2001 that needs a motor that is in excellent shape otherwise. So i will likely sell off the wheels and the interior parts and sell the chassis as a race car chassis. or cut the wide body off the back and see it and then sell the other body panels as they are all in good shape. but the body is so tweaked nothing sits square.

So not 100% sure what I am going to do with it just yet but....I am a bit dissapointed at how rough it is.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:17 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

What did you pay for it?
Old 10-06-2018, 01:48 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr. Overkill
well it arrived....and it's a complete..well almost complete Turd. not a square body part on the car. drivers window doesn't fit flush with the windshield pillar. like i can stick my finger in it huge gap. hard top has a big gap under it and the body. interior is falling apart all over the place. the GINORMOUS 20 year old impossible to find 335/25ZR19 Pirelli PZero tires are dry rotted to the point of falling off. car weeble wobbles away from a stop sign then wanders all over the place. the front wheel barrels are funky in that the center's don't sit right in them.

But, 31K miles on the motor and it runs well. brakes feel good. transmission shifts well. good oil pressure. temp sits right at 180-190. so I will likley be parting this car out. I have found a 2001 that needs a motor that is in excellent shape otherwise. So i will likely sell off the wheels and the interior parts and sell the chassis as a race car chassis. or cut the wide body off the back and see it and then sell the other body panels as they are all in good shape. but the body is so tweaked nothing sits square.

So not 100% sure what I am going to do with it just yet but....I am a bit dissapointed at how rough it is.
Not trying to add insult to injury, but I was thinking it could be a huge risk looking at the modifications done to the car. Sorry. But remember, the money is in the engine. Plain and simple. As I mentioned before, get the engine checked out. Hopefully it's the original 3.4L with dual row bearing that hasn't been "tweaked" or modified by the previous owner. Not sure what you paid, but there are quite a few valuable parts on this car in addition to the motor. That looks like the OEM Mk1 aero bumper. If it's factory with the part# printed inside, that part alone should bring you $700 - $1000. Then I would sell the front headlights and taillights. Those don't appear to be litronics, but you should still be able to get about $500 - $700 for the pair for the base halogens... maybe more. The rears should bring you $500 or more for the pair along as long as the wire harnesses are intact. Lots to sell in the interior starting with the front seats and such. I could continue, but keep your head up and please post back your progress.
Old 10-06-2018, 01:50 PM
4sight
Advanced

Originally Posted by Mr. Overkill

Sounds like a lot of the cars I see on the road here in Vegas. Good luck with the project. I hope you got it real cheap.

Could these be your "Car Guys"?

Old 10-06-2018, 01:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I need tail lights if they are not cracked and fit a .2.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:35 PM
Mr. Overkill
Track Day

Originally Posted by 4sight
Sounds like a lot of the cars I see on the road here in Vegas. Good luck with the project. I hope you got it real cheap.

Could these be your "Car Guys"?

Nope not these guys. I talked to them and it's not them. I did learn a bit more about the company that sold it through the auction was listed as "The Car Guys" and a good search of the address shows the business has been out of biz for a while. the name on the title is also a company that is out of business and both parties associated with those names show to be less then legit gentleman to put it lightly.

the age of the tires and the dry rot lends credence to the Vin history info. I do believe that this car truly has only 31K miles on it. It was wrecked in California around 2007 and has been sitting in the Las Vegas desert from 2008 until now. it was rebuilt at some point but has sat for many years.

I paid $8K for it, with fee's and shipping I'm into it for about $9500 if I figure the motor is worth say $5k of that price, and the wheels maybe $1000-1500, and i part the car out, I will make my money back for sure. so I am not terribly worried about that, jut a bit more dissaspointed the body is so tweaked. I will take it to my buddies shop and have him put it on the frame rack and get a good idea of just how bad it is. I only got to see the car for maybe 20 minutes friday so maybe it can be reworked.

I will need to figure out what to do about tires for the car. It is unsafe to drive with the tires so badly dry rotted. i drove it from the shippers warehouse to my ship which was about 12 miles, but I took back roads and kept it to 45mph. it ran great engine/transmission wise so...just need to dig into it a bit more on monday and try and figure out a plan.
Old 10-07-2018, 12:37 PM
Mr. Overkill
Track Day

Can a hard top be put on a 996 that only has a soft top? I think the one I am going to see Monday only has a soft top.
Old 10-07-2018, 01:11 PM
JohnCA58
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 209 Posts

Yes you can, put the top down and on the rear close to the roll over bar cover pull the plugs and check to see if the hardware is there, if not you can purchase the updated complete hardware kit for the 996.

Quick Reply: Anyone Recognize this 996 from Las Vegas??