996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 Mold Solution

Search this Thread

Old 10-01-2018, 08:56 PM
grus
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for all the tips. Its given me a great starting point and ideas to fix this. Im open to anymore solutions you all come across.
Old 10-01-2018, 09:30 PM
e90steve
Racer

Received 60 Likes on 40 Posts

File a claim.

If they total it, buy it back for a severely reduced amount... pennies on the dollar.

Then try every method or professional service to get rid of the mold.

But I suspect it will be difficult if not impossible to fully remove the mold and smell of mold without replacing the whole interior. I would hate for you to try and remove it, be unsuccessful in fully doing so and then miss out on being able to file your claim and get full market value.

Old 10-02-2018, 01:15 AM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by e90steve
File a claim.

If they total it, buy it back for a severely reduced amount... pennies on the dollar.

Then try every method or professional service to get rid of the mold.

But I suspect it will be difficult if not impossible to fully remove the mold and smell of mold without replacing the whole interior. I would hate for you to try and remove it, be unsuccessful in fully doing so and then miss out on being able to file your claim and get full market value.

Good point.
Old 10-02-2018, 08:35 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I also would file a claim and buy it back (if they total it), if that's what you want to do. To really get it clean, you will have to remove the interior, including seats, carpet, all the panels, possibly headliner, etc. Cleaning behind the dash will be the hardest part. You are looking at many hours of work.

One problem is that you will have to let it sit while you file the claim. I would get it in an enclosed area and run a dehumidifier to slow down the growth of the mold.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:26 AM
msrecca
AutoX

I agree with first trying to make it the insurance company's problem. Adjusters usually are quick but after the storm there is a good wait. West marine makes two products for this as it is a common problem on stored boats. Boat Bling and the aptly named Mildew Stain Remover. are the products.Glove and mask up! Good luck.
Old 10-02-2018, 10:41 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Yikes! My condolences! Don't touch it, file a claim and get another car. I've heard many a horror story about mold, you may clean it up but it will come back.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:42 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

So sorry to see this.
It's all in your air ducts too. I would not want anything to do with a car infested with mold!!
Old 10-02-2018, 11:47 AM
michaelo
Racer

Received 65 Likes on 33 Posts

Just get some supplies, get in and clean it up. I have seen much worse than that get cleaned up nicely.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:56 AM
85eurocarrera
Burning Brakes

Received 385 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by grus
hoping you get it sorted, that's a pretty mk1. Wheels look really nice.
Old 10-02-2018, 02:02 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I'm from eastern NC (washington) so I know how it can get out there. Your car is a rare color, and has some nice mk1 aero kit too. Is it a '99 model year?

Regardless, I think filing a claim and then buying it back and trying to sort it yourself is a pretty good option. I would definitely remove the seats, center console, steering wheel, door cards, all of it. You may be able to just gut the car and sell it whole as a roller to someone who wants a track build. Find a wrecked roller with a good interior and swap the pieces over. 996 parts aren't so hard to come by that you need to try and save these. Your car, in that color especially, is worth saving though. If it was arctic silver or black I'd say just let the insurance company have it.
Old 10-02-2018, 03:21 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Received 206 Likes on 141 Posts

That gorgeous Arena Red with aerokit is worth saving! COMPLETELY gut the car (after insurance claim) dashboard and all. Going to weeks of work but as knfeparty stated it is worth it for that car! Silver or black let them have have it. Heck Ild buy it and restore it!
Old 10-02-2018, 05:47 PM
NuttyProfessor
Three Wheelin'

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts

This reminds me of the CoPart cars from the recent flooding down in Texas. Looks like you had some serious water ingress into the cabin of the car and over time the mold bred and spread like crazy. Very dangerous stuff if inhaled into your lungs. I wouldn't get near it unless I had the proper hazmat suit and respirator. I would start off by drying it out completely. Use a good dehumidifier and get it out in the sun. Mold needs high humidity environments to survive. Of course you can't use bleach products in this situation, but you'll need lots of vinegar and Lysol. Getting it vacated out of the ducts is going to be difficult.
Old 10-02-2018, 11:54 PM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow....I just can't believe how moldy it got by just sitting there....was it real cold and then a mosit warm front came through?
Old 10-03-2018, 12:29 AM
Debo18D
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe a steam cleaner. I have one and they are worth their weight in platinum. Never tried it with mold though.

D.
Old 10-03-2018, 01:20 AM
grus
Track Day

Originally Posted by lowpue
Wow....I just can't believe how moldy it got by just sitting there....was it real cold and then a mosit warm front came through?
Just sitting. The humidity has been pretty bad all summer and we left for 2 weeks.

Quick Reply: 996 Mold Solution