996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Track prepped 996.2 - pricing help

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2018, 02:26 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How many of those 15K miles were on the track and did he follow proper protocol for switching between street and track usage? I believe you're supposed to use different oils for each application.

​​​​​I'd pay $25K - $30K for it personally. There's not many examples. But with FSI cars, I've generally seen the cars sell for the price of the motor and you get the roller for free. Here I'd pay a bit extra for the brakes, suspension, and seats.

Alternately, if I was looking for a 996 track car, I'd be looking for a roller and then commission FSI for an engine. Add on suspension and brakes, that's at least 30K.
Old 10-04-2018, 02:28 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Is it gutted or stockish interior?
Old 10-04-2018, 02:50 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

In my opinion, there's "track-prepped" and then there's "road car with some nice mods."
A "track-prepped" car has had serious mods done for the track, but still remains street legal.
If it just had some nice shocks, springs, and tires installed and the owner took it to a track a few times, that's not really "track-prepped" in my opinion.
Can it still be taken to a track? Sure, but so can a bone stock 911.
If it still has stock seats, belts, bushings, wheels, brakes, sump, cooling system, motor mounts, shocks, springs, etc...then it's not really track prepped.
If it has had most things replaced/upgraded, then yeah I'd call it track-prepped.
The closer in the spectrum towards racecar (and toward track-prepped) that you get, the harder they are to sell.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:06 PM
uniquenamehere
Burning Brakes

Received 116 Likes on 81 Posts

I think this fits the track-prepped category. Not at all towards the race car spectrum. I think the owner won't go below $30k, I'm not bashing him he's been a great guy to communicate with over email.

Not sure this is going to pan out... the hunt continues.
Old 10-04-2018, 09:28 PM
turbogrill
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
In my opinion, there's "track-prepped" and then there's "road car with some nice mods."
A "track-prepped" car has had serious mods done for the track, but still remains street legal.
If it just had some nice shocks, springs, and tires installed and the owner took it to a track a few times, that's not really "track-prepped" in my opinion.
Can it still be taken to a track? Sure, but so can a bone stock 911.
If it still has stock seats, belts, bushings, wheels, brakes, sump, cooling system, motor mounts, shocks, springs, etc...then it's not really track prepped.
If it has had most things replaced/upgraded, then yeah I'd call it track-prepped.
The closer in the spectrum towards racecar (and toward track-prepped) that you get, the harder they are to sell.
Agree! If it's beyond "point of return" then the price is something like 25-50% of what the car cost to build. Specially if it's not legal for any racing series
An exception might be a specific car that has podium a lot spec Miata, spec boxster etc. Seems to be some voodoo surrounding certain builds. But if you are the midpack guy then your car is not worth much.

Seems like an awesome car, I would definitly want one! Could be worth $25k imho.
Old 10-05-2018, 10:16 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Low 30's is a good deal. Just realize if you have issues with the engine, it's going to be a lot more expensive than a factory short block and head work on a 3.4l.

Quick Reply: Track prepped 996.2 - pricing help