996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Another one bites the dust (Probably)

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-2018, 12:14 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Received 610 Likes on 328 Posts
Default Another one bites the dust (Probably) - Skip to the end for a Happy Ending

I was driving home from Atlantic City today on the Staten Island Expressway when a Mack Truck decided it wanted to share my exact position in space and time. I was in the right lane and he came up from the middle lane after passing the van that was behind me. He didn't see me and merged into the side of my car. His truck wheels have extended lugs that tore through my door and quarter panel and shredded a good portion of my left rear wheel. I'm guessing that it will be totaled. I am numb. This car has been great for the 8 years I've owned it. I've done tons of preventative maintenance and enhancements. The only thing that ever needed replacing during my ownership was the driver's door latch. The car has 70k miles on it and the engine runs like new. Everyone thinks it's a new car, even the tow truck operator thought it was brand new. To say that I'm bummed is a gross understatement.

LNE Dual-row ceramic IMS Bearing - Check
LNE Spin-Oin Oil Filter Adapter - Check
LNE Magnetic Drain Plug - Check
FilterMag oil filter magnets - Check
New OEM water pump, LNE low-temp thermostat - Check
New Coolant reservoir tank and updated cap - Check
New plugs, tubes, and coils - Check
All new fluids - Check
New brake pads and rotors - Check
Mack Truck Protective Barrier - Nyet

Last edited by wyovino; 12-11-2018 at 07:37 PM.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:20 AM
uberskier
Pro

Received 10 Likes on 1 Post

Ouch. Sorry to hear about that. I always worry about that when I take my car to work.
Old 09-15-2018, 12:23 AM
Prelude Guy
Rennlist Member

Received 124 Likes on 82 Posts

So sorry to hear about this. I know exactly how you feel.

I don't think it will actually be tooooo bad, if you are interested in getting it fixed. Most of the damage is to the door. The rear quarter panel might not be too bad to replace. Replacing the door is the easiest part.

I can check with my friend to see how much he would guestimate the cost to repair it if you would like. We will obviously need more detailed pictures of the damaged areas.

PM me if it comes to that.

Good luck!
Old 09-15-2018, 12:35 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

Yes, the door is toast. I'm not sure if the quarter panel can be fixed as it is chewed up pretty badly. I truly hope it can be repaired. Honestly, I don't need it to be perfect. I love driving it. The left rear wheel is definitely a goner. It it hadn't been chewed up I would have driven the car the 75 miles home, but it was way too dangerous. It's hard to tell from the photos but the wheel is very bad near the bead.

The driver's door wouldn't open, so I put the top down to make it easier to get in and out. After driving onto the flatbed, I put the top up but had to help it along the last foot or so. You can see that the rear window stayed down.
Old 09-15-2018, 01:57 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

So sorry and glad you weren't hurt!
Old 09-15-2018, 07:41 AM
strathconaman
Three Wheelin'

Received 202 Likes on 131 Posts

Happy you are OK, sad about your car.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:27 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

Bummer! That truck driver is a f’n moron... you’re lucky you weren’t injured or even killed. I think that’s going to be a big $ repair - the insurance co. Will probably total it. Good luck with the outcome. SIE sucks!
Old 09-15-2018, 08:38 AM
pcasanova
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

That sucks. Sorry to hear, hope everyone is OK.
Old 09-15-2018, 08:53 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

It will probably be totaled by the insurance company, in my experience. I personally would try to buy it back and repair it, especially if the rear suspension geometry is ok.
Old 09-15-2018, 09:20 AM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

WYO: SUM BIT! Glad you are ok. Sorry that this happened. Isn't the rear quarter part of the continuous rear and sides up to the door openings of our cars? Don't think replacement is an option, at least a reasonably priced option. I hope the situation works out to your satisfaction. My guess is the truck driver said he didn't even see you. Seems like many large/high vehicles, including jacked up pickups have trouble seeing our cars. Please keep us updated.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:19 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Ouch! Seriously, get a lawyer and sue the **** out the company and get a brand new one!

Also, I'm sure that would buff right out...
Old 09-15-2018, 10:23 AM
wyovino
Rennlist Member

I don't think my hot glue kit is going to fix this one.
Old 09-15-2018, 10:41 AM
Mpfaff
Rennlist Member

Received 88 Likes on 56 Posts

Glad you were not hurt Buy back and fix can be a good option,but in my experience sometimes the insurance company wants it both ways low payout high buyout.I have an 03 cab parts car,if parts are the same that might be an option for you.I also have all rear suspension components.Other on this forum have used part from this car. Regards. Mike
Old 09-15-2018, 11:59 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Wow....I am so sorry, that is all of our fear when we drive. Glad you are OK. I agree with that kind of damage it will likely be totaled. I agree with others that you should buyback the car from insurance company and you have the following options:
  1. You buy and fix it. Assuming you want to go through the trouble or if the cost (car plus repairs) of doing that is less than 60% of the value of the car before repairs due to dimished value.
  2. You buy it and sell it to a dismantler. Dismantlers will pay a premium typically over the buyback value so you can make a few grand more this way effectively giving you a higher settlement
norspecdismantling https://norspecdismantling.com/ can help you with both above. I get all of my parts from them and I know of other rennlisters who sold their totaled cars to them after buyback to make a few bucks. They are very fair and good guys...give them a call and see what they would pay you for it before you decide to buyback to see if it is worth it.

Good luck with all of this and hope you will be driving the car or something similar soon!
Old 09-15-2018, 05:10 PM
shawn_nj
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sorry to hear that. NJ/NY driving is the worst....

Quick Reply: Another one bites the dust (Probably)