Sponsored by:

C4S cooling fan replacement

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2018, 12:11 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts
Default C4S cooling fan replacement

I've determined my driver side fan is inopp -- the relay and resistor are good, so save some wiring gone bad, the fan is no good. I believe that's the case because i put 12v to the fan and it didn't make a chirp.

So i've sourced a new fan, but curious if anyone knows if there is ANY possible way to replace it without draining the coolant? On the C4s, the fan/shroud is held on by two screws in the back and in the front there are a few "fingers" that slide into the mount. Thing is, one of two screws at the back is completely blocked by the radiator carrier. I removed the circlips and loosened all the bolts in order to wiggle loose and gain access to the screw in the back but no luck. Replacing just the fan/motor doesn't look doable because it has to come through the front of the shroud which is blocked by the radiator.

I've searched the interwebs relentlessly, mainly searching for TT info given they're more plentiful and have the same set up but no luck. I'd love thoughts from anyone that's replaced a fan on a C4s.
Old 09-07-2018, 05:42 PM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Hi jllphan, it's definitely possible to replace the radiator fans in the C4S without removing the radiators. I did both of my fans last year by going through the wheel wells. I can't find the tutorial I used from the internet, but the procedure was basically:

- Remove front wheel(s)
- Remove front lower trim cover, wheel well liner and front bumper cover.
- Remove (or maybe just loosen?) the radiator mounting bracket, I recall it's held in by 3 bolts (?).
- Now the fan is exposed behind the radiator and I recall it basically slides out

Cheers,
Dennis
2004 C4S
1959 Sprite

Last edited by dcsjc; 09-07-2018 at 06:17 PM.
Old 09-08-2018, 04:02 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Thanks for the nudge Dennis, that's all i needed! Given i haven't taken one of these apart before, i was unsure exactly how the carrier came off, looks like one piece, but in the end it's not and just the bottom section comes off to allow access to that screw on the fan shroud that's otherwise obscured by the radiator carrier. I posted the same question in the TT forum and got similar feedback along w/ a link to step by step -- I've altered it a bit below based on what's absolutely necessary to change out the cooling fan in hopes that it might help others in the future....

1. remove bumper and wheel liner
2. remove clips/washers on out-board side of radiator, and support it
(in both cases, I used a bungee. be careful of your paint)
3. unplug fan
4. undo the three bolts holding the support bracket in place (two underneath, one at front of wheel arch)
6. gently work the bracket and fan cowl down and out
7. remove the clips that hold the fan housing to the radiator and gently remove it.
Install is the 'gentle' reversing of the removal.

All in all it's a pretty easy job, I'd rate it 2.5 to 3 beers.

Most importantly, I finished up last night, but didn't test as i don't like to start cars without driving. So today I packed up and headed out to a PCA BBQ, started the car, turned on the AC and low and behold -- the fan works! Amazing what a difference it makes -- it was 95 here today and the temp gauge never went beyond the center of the "8" or reached even 200 degrees via my torque app. A spirited drive a few weeks ago in the same weather yielded engine temps of up to 215 -- I'm chuffed.
Old 09-09-2018, 02:03 PM
dcsjc
Rennlist Member

Received 66 Likes on 33 Posts

Glad to hear it went well!

Quick Reply: C4S cooling fan replacement