Gemballa or Factory Aero?

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2004, 09:28 PM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gemballa or Factory Aero?

i'm thinking of which wing to put on my car now. Gemballa or factory aero? What do you think?
Old 01-16-2004, 09:44 PM
Bentley
Banned

Both wings have their own unique aesthetics. That being said, you should ask if you want the wing for cosmetic purposes or for functional high speed driving. The Porsche Factory unit has many hours of wind tunnel engineering behind its design. If you do drive over 200 k.p.h., the Porsche unit would probably function best aerodynamically as well as acoustically. Any wind tunnel testing on the Gembella unit would be surprising [since it is too expensive for most small manufacturers].
What you do NOT want from a wing is aerodynamic drag, that would impede your positive acceleration, nor aerodynamic lift, nor aerodynamic perturbations causing unusual harmonics [and a wind tunnel is the proper device for inspection of a wing design].
Old 01-16-2004, 09:53 PM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

by the way, for your reference this is what it looks like right now... sans sport classic 2 wheels that I have on it now.

Old 01-17-2004, 12:34 AM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

help please!
Old 01-17-2004, 02:50 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Im sure Gemballa tests in wind tunnels too. They one of the top Porsche tuners out there, not some fly by night garage operation. Im sure either way you will do fine.

Bobby
Old 01-17-2004, 03:34 PM
parkman
Addict
Rennlist Member

anyone have any pictures of their black 996 with a gemballa wing?
Old 01-17-2004, 04:47 PM
BadA996
Intermediate

Hace you considered the Techart lll wing
Old 01-17-2004, 09:04 PM
Bentley
Banned

If 'Chitownbob' is 'sure' that Gembella does wind tunnel testing of its aerokits, would he please contact them and have them send this forum photographs and test results of its data. This way we could verify what he has stated as being correct AND we could determine aerodynamic and acoustic efficiencies for a non-Porsche manufactured product. Since Porsche features photos and articles about its wind tunnel testing in its literature, surely Gembella would be willing to do the same for its Porsche customers. What is fair for one is fair for all.
Old 01-17-2004, 09:21 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Do you have any information to confirm they don't wind tunnel test? What about Ruf, do they do wind tunnell testing?
Old 01-17-2004, 09:29 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Thanks DougH, my sentiments exaclty. Hey Bentley, you assumed that Gemballa doesn't test because it is a small manufacturer and it would be prohibitively expensive. Gemballa isn't a small manufactuter and although I don't have any evidence to show that they do such testing, you haven't shown anything to prove they do. That being said, it is fair to assume that a respected tuner such as Gemballa or Ruf would create products that would enhance the P-cars performance and looks and are not just made for looks alone. Maybe I am mistaken but I believe that to be the case. If I'm wrong so be it. I don't really care that much because I don't intend on driving 200KPH anytime soon.

Bobby
Old 01-18-2004, 12:32 PM
Bentley
Banned

You gentlemen who subscribe to the idea that Gembella does do wind tunnel testing should merely answer my posting by contacting them and letting us know the answer. You do not answer a question by asking a question. Equally if Doug H wants to know if Aloise performs wind tunnel testing he should contact him and let us know. I do know that Porsche performs wind tunnel testing as I have stated. Why don't you gentlemen provide this forum with the answer about these aftermarket suppliers? Is there some reason why you will not do this?
Old 01-18-2004, 01:27 PM
Doug H
Nordschleife Master

Received 904 Likes on 532 Posts

Bentley:

So I take it that your answer is you don't have any knowledge regarding what product research has been put into any of the aftermarket aerokit packages and pretty clueless when it comes to this topic. Maybe if you spent as much time researching your pontifications as you do proof reading them, they would be useful. I asked the question because I was genuinely curious about the products, but not curious enough to bother Aliose Ruf himself. That's pretty silly.

Anyone have any first hand experience with the Tech Art III? I have had a 996 C2 with the a factory aero package (gone now) and my Turbo has the factory aero package. I have also driven a full Ruf and the Ruf seemed better planted and more stable at very high speeds. I am thinking about adding the Tech Art III spoiler to my new 04 996, but it is more for show than go.
Old 01-18-2004, 01:32 PM
Bentley
Banned

Why would you think it 'silly' to ask such a question of Ruf? Are you afraid of what his answer may be? Are you also 'afraid' to inquire of Gembella?
Old 01-18-2004, 05:01 PM
chitownbob
Racer

Wow. Nobody is denying that Porsche does wind testing. I think your statement that Gemballa/Ruf is simply wrong. You said it first, you shoud prove it. Honestly, I don't really care to prove anything to you Bentley. As for why I don't inquire. Quite simply, I don't have the time or inclination to find out. My only question is exactly how old are you. Im guessing about 18 or so due to immaturity and confrontational attitude in your posts. Why don't you go prove me wrong or leave me alone with my "wrong" opinion.

Bobby
Old 01-18-2004, 05:39 PM
Bentley
Banned

I did not realize you were so sensitive. If you don't care to know the technical truth that is your bane. It just seems one should not assume research has been performed by a vendor just because it brings out a product. It may be to a Porsche owner's detriment to do so.

Quick Reply: Gemballa or Factory Aero?