996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Pads that don't dust so bad?

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-2018, 01:35 AM
Looneybin
Racer

Received 46 Likes on 41 Posts

I also put textar pads on my last brake job, and holy cow they make a ton of dust
i may try the akebono? Next time
Old 08-19-2018, 02:49 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 790 Likes on 414 Posts

Rock Auto has a lot of Centric pads and rotors, anyone know what kind of quality they are?
Old 08-20-2018, 12:15 PM
peterp
Drifting

Received 757 Likes on 458 Posts

Originally Posted by Mike_A
Someone once told me that once you go black , you'll never go back.....speaking of wheels of course
Then they met me and changed their mind

(I have silver wheels)
Old 08-20-2018, 01:09 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,428 Likes on 1,293 Posts

Originally Posted by sasilverbullet
Rock Auto has a lot of Centric pads and rotors, anyone know what kind of quality they are?
I’ve installed MANY dozens of Centric pads and rotors on various cars, but none on a Porsche...yet.
BMWs, Fords, Toyotas, Hondas, Dodges, VWS, etc.
They are my go-to brand for customer’s cars.

If you order drilled or slotted Centric rotors they will actually be StopTech Sport Rotors.
Centric makes StopTech.
Centric rotors/pads are good quality for daily drivers.
I wouldn’t hesitate to install install them on a daily driver Porsche 9x6, or any other car for that matter.

Old 08-20-2018, 01:16 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I wouldn’t use drilled rotors on the track though.
Drilled looks good for the street, but you can develop cracks if using them on the track.
Old 08-20-2018, 01:27 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

I’ve also installed a couple of PowerStop rotor/pad kits from RockAuto recently on a couple of Hondas.
They’re really nice kits too, with all new pad spring hardware, which has been good quality as well.
Last set had a bent pad wear warning indicator, but it was easily fixed.

Everyone seems to want drilled rotors lately, even if their wheels hide most of the rotor.
Old 08-21-2018, 06:14 PM
Down South
Rennlist Member

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

I've been using Hawk carbon ceramic pads on both front and rear for several years now. No braking issues and no dust. Can't speak to their track effectiveness, though.
Old 08-28-2018, 10:38 PM
SoCal911t
Rennlist Member

Received 1,482 Likes on 716 Posts

Ebay/PayPal is having a 15% off promotion thing until 10:00PM tonight so I just bought front & rear Akebono pads. If anyone is looking for a set of F/R Textars with less than a 100 miles, mine will be available soon.

Old 08-29-2018, 02:39 AM
mayday1
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I now have about 250 miles on these akebonos and about 13 autox runs (totalling about 6-7 miles). Still no noticeable brake dust on the wheels.
They worked fine in autox, but I definitely noticed that they require a firmer pedal force when cold, and also when stopping right after a highway drive since
at speed the wind cools off the brakes.
Old 11-06-2018, 03:51 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Received 185 Likes on 122 Posts

Update: around 1,000 miles of fun, love the no dust the ceramic pads offer but the rotors are warped already. My indy mechanic says that is what you get for 'inexpensive' rotors. I'll be shopping for good rotors, he believes the pads are still good. I guess I need to downshift more and use the engine, not the brakes.
Old 11-06-2018, 11:01 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 1,030 Likes on 638 Posts

Flyfishnick,
Rather wear out a $3,000 transmission or $200 rotors?
Old 11-06-2018, 04:29 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Flyfishnick
Update: around 1,000 miles of fun, love the no dust the ceramic pads offer but the rotors are warped already. My indy mechanic says that is what you get for 'inexpensive' rotors. I'll be shopping for good rotors, he believes the pads are still good. I guess I need to downshift more and use the engine, not the brakes.
According to Bob Jones, guy who owns a local indy shop here in San Antonio and the FIRST American ever allowed to attend Porsche's four-year mechanic school (in the 1970's), here's what he says:
"NEVER USE THE F****** ENGINE FOR BRAKING!!!! THAT'S WHAT THE BRAKES ARE FOR!!!" (uppercase for a reason)

Personally I'd go with what Bob says over anything else I hear...

Oh, and are you positive the rotors are warped? Try re-bedding the pads to see if it clears it up.

Old 11-07-2018, 02:18 AM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Good points guys and I thank you for your insight as I am entirely inexperienced with performance cars. Now, performance bikes, ok I know a little. I have successfully ridden the "crotch rockets" for 34 years and know how to navigate them well. However, it took years for me to really understand how the bike should be ridden and I still have not touched my R1's full potential and will not ever.
I will check to see if the rotors are really warped and go from there. Regardless, I am having a blast. I think a worthwhile investment would be to look into some track/driving class time and really learn how to drive this car the way it should be, not the way I think it should be. I have no intentions or funds for that matter to put it on the track and really have a go at it as a race car, but I am sure I can learn some things from some Pros.
I read lots of these threads and cannot believe the enjoyment I receive. I read the horror stories and the successes with such admiration and share the moments of that persons encounters whether good or bad. I've never been one to join in discussion groups until now and the value I get from the learning of others and their sharing is invaluable.
Old 11-07-2018, 11:42 AM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Fly - do you know how to bed the brakes in and why you would do it?
Old 11-07-2018, 12:58 PM
Flyfishnick
Rennlist Member

Sasilverbullet,
Thanks for asking and I'll say Yes and No to your question. I am also more than wiling to take suggestions right off the bat. I did some searching after you suggested re-bedding and have a pretty good idea why and how to do it I believe (then again, I don't always trust the "internet" , lol), but I think I will take it to my Indy to put a straight edge on the rotors and then go from there. Hope I get lucky and re-bedding is all I need.
I don't have a real garage at this time to be able to pull the wheels myself. I am embarrassed to say, but when I first got my car, I did remove all my wheels in my carport one time and this was the worst, most uncomfortable 2 weeks waiting for the powder coating guy to get my rims done. No damage, but this just wasn't right and I am not going there again, lol. Don't yell at me over the picture please I had to look at my "new" car every day like this---not fun!

Anyways, any suggestions for the cleaning of rotors/pads and re-bedding would be great. I'd rather trust you guys than the "internet".

Quick Reply: Pads that don't dust so bad?