996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Coilovers

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2018, 11:28 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

Sorry, very good point, they are easily height adjustable. The damping forces cannot be adjusted.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:34 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by Vancouver996

the h&r coilovers are height adjustable
All "coilovers" have some height adjustability, or else they wouldn’t really be "coilovers" they would just be struts.
Some have adjustable dampening and some are fully adjustable for dampening and rebound.

Last edited by TexSquirrel; 08-20-2018 at 05:04 PM.
Old 08-20-2018, 11:47 AM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
So many options, how does one decide?
It’s a really tough decision.
I wanted adjustability because my car is a daily driver and some roads around here...suck.
But I didn’t want to spend a bunch, so I was planning on buying
I used to use Konis when I raced an SCCA GT3 VW Scirocco in the 80s.
They are not cheap, but they were cheaper than coilovers.
I also wanted to lower my car only a little.
My car was scraping the front spoiler when pulling into the driveway, so I had a new driveway poured.
(It was also cracked badly and uneven)
Now the 996 doesn’t scrape, but I don’t want to lower it where it scrapes again.
Also in the parking garage at work they have recently added speed bumps.
I’m not real certain how low to go.
I was going to try H&R springs, which I’ve used before on other cars.

Then I read all the positive reviews for Feal in this forum and decided to give them a try.
They are height and dampening adjustable.
I’ll be putting them (along with adjustable drop links, adjustable rear toe links(track bars), and new control arm links) on Sept 7th.
That is the next time that I have 2 consecutive days off.
Install on Friday and align with my camber & toe gauges.
Then have Saturday to go get computerized alignment if necessary.
I sold my spare car (BMW 135i) in May.
I knew I should have kept it so I could drive it while I stalling my Feal coilovers.
Old 08-20-2018, 04:50 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,371 Likes on 794 Posts

I also elected to try the feals. Lets hope they stand up to track use.
Old 08-21-2018, 11:45 AM
Thibaulb24
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I’m waiting for money to clear PayPal from some guitar equipment I just sold. Still not sure what I’m going to do. I like using coilovers but have had bad experiences with cheap ones that I put on my mustang, don’t want to make the same mistake with the Porsche. I’ve found the Koni sports with eibach springs for $1100. I like that price because I can spend the difference on replacing my sagging engine mounts and possibly sway bars or some cosmetic fixes. There seems to be more coilovers for sale on here for c4’s and turbo’s, will they fit a c2?
Old 08-21-2018, 03:24 PM
Silk
Pro

Received 47 Likes on 37 Posts

I love my ohlins R&T with very moderate drop (3/4 inch). Even if I do not track my car anymore since I have my 944 track toy.

I still change the settings on the shocks from time to time depending on the drive I do. Even in the more stiffer range they feel very smooth and compliant.

I use my 996.2 C2 as a daily driver. And have powerflex purple bushings all around in my suspension. Also consider to upgrade these suspension parts over time as all of the rubbers and bushings will need some care after all these years.

Definitely worth the $ and if you do some spirited driving now and then it is one of the best upgrades you can do on your car. After all your shocks and springs together with the other suspension parts are what makes your car follow the road.

Over the last 2.5yrs/30k miles I also noticed a more even and gradual tire wear on track and on the road.
Old 08-21-2018, 03:58 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

In the same boat with a C4s, the ROW for this car doesn’t seem like good value. Still have a bit left to do on the cooling system refresh then doing a full brake refresh then turning to the suspension which does not feel tired but at 15yr and a 100k in likely needs to be redone. Leaning toward Ceika of Feal — would love to hear more from those that have done the same.

Quick Reply: Coilovers