Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Original catalitic converters seem louder than new xpipe??

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2018, 01:37 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 137 Likes on 121 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
That's the first thing that came to mind when I saw the picture...Good luck, it's a slippery slope sometimes!
Yeah just haven't had the time to take it all apart again!

Sure is a slippery slope, especially because the system is so modular so you can easily continue changing things!
Old 08-16-2018, 12:36 PM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Received 35 Likes on 16 Posts

Not the same brands, but I went from 200 cell crossovers by NHP + fister modded cans to an M&M cat-less x-pipe with the same fister cans and it definitely seemed a little quieter in regular driving under 3k rpm or so. I think it might just be related to how my ears perceive the higher frequencies of the x-pipe vs the low booming growl of the crossovers than the actual decibel levels they produce. FWIW the x-pipe seems to have gotten louder with a few thousand miles. It's just loud enough now, and louder than the crossovers at high RMP I think. Lost some low end power, but from 4k to 7k it feels much stronger and happy to rev for a 3.6.
Old 08-16-2018, 06:31 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
Not the same brands, but I went from 200 cell crossovers by NHP + fister modded cans to an M&M cat-less x-pipe with the same fister cans and it definitely seemed a little quieter in regular driving under 3k rpm or so. I think it might just be related to how my ears perceive the higher frequencies of the x-pipe vs the low booming growl of the crossovers than the actual decibel levels they produce. FWIW the x-pipe seems to have gotten louder with a few thousand miles. It's just loud enough now, and louder than the crossovers at high RMP I think. Lost some low end power, but from 4k to 7k it feels much stronger and happy to rev for a 3.6.
Thanks, is that with a catless xpipe setup? I think the loss is from the reduced back pressure. Are you happy with the x over the crossover?

Old 08-26-2018, 11:51 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Just back onto this for a second, the xpipe seems to make the sound of my car very flat at low speed rpms until around 2,000 where suddenly it sounds great?

Probably most noticeable when reversing and using low rpm to get moving, is this just the inherent design of the x-pipe? Am now loving the sound and additional power it gives at around 3,000rpm+ but its very flat sounding?

Does the addition of headers remove the flatness at low rpm? I'd only get the Cargraphic headers, I also have Super Sound Cargraphic mufflers to replace my TUV Sound version, couldn't help it I wanted the volume back that I had.
Old 08-27-2018, 10:17 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Originally Posted by dan_189
Thanks, is that with a catless xpipe setup? I think the loss is from the reduced back pressure. Are you happy with the x over the crossover?
Sorry, just now seeing this. I think it must be partly down to the reduced back pressure of running no cats, but I haven't run a 200 cell x-pipe to compare. Happy with the x-pipe over the crossovers... unfortunately I don't definitively feel one way or the other. I love the sound of the x-pipe over the crossovers no question. Not even a close comparison for me there. The shift in the power band to the right changes the character of the car and it's not as well rounded as it once was. In places where you can keep the revs up over 4k, it's incredible and I think the car feels so much better. In day to day to day commuting, the car feels less quick as you can't just rely on there being bags full of torque at any rpm.

I can see why Porsche opted for the crossovers in this respect as most people are driving these cars on the street and want the torque. It also sounds a bit gruff at low RPM now, I think you noted that in your post. But I kind of like that. It makes you constantly aware that the car would rather be at 6k rpm on a back road than puttering around in traffic. Kind of like when you hear a race car at low rpm in the paddock. It sounds a bit unrefined, a bit unhappy, champing at the bit to just get going. Not that a 996 c2 is anything like a race car lol. But I like some compromises in my cars, it makes them feel just a little bit more like a specialized tool for going fast rather than an all-rounder. That said, there are times when this sucks. Sometimes you want to take a relaxing 6/10th drive down a back road and just ride the torque between 4-5k rpm and let the car flow. It sucks for that now. It's all out, hair on fire 4k+ rpm the whole time or nothing. Hard to have it all I guess.
Old 08-28-2018, 03:55 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Yeah i'd agree with all the statements you've made, sound is not that great until up over 3,000rpm for me - down low it sounds flat and fairly average. I have some 'super sound' mufflers on the way which i'm hoping will help make it sound better at all rpm but that might not be the case.

There is also the option of adding headers which im not too sure about just yet - planning on adding them in the future - I wonder how they would change the characteristics again and whether it would improve down low but from what I've read headers just shift the band even further right. Something I dont really want.
Old 08-29-2018, 11:43 AM
jaetee
Rennlist Member

Received 19 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Silk
Here is a video of 996 with Cargraphic TUV Sound mufflers.

https://www.facebook.com/vdgugtenpor...1660734075313/
NICE!!! I just ordered the 200 cell sport cat crossover pipes from Topgear as I'm completing my rebuild. These will be added to my agency power sport mufflers and headers... Can't wait to hear the final result. I hope it's close to this sound...
Old 08-29-2018, 09:46 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Been talking to cargraphic because I've got a flat sound at really low rpm

They have said it's because it's the 997.1 part rather than the 996 part?? I don't really believe them?! Thoughts?
Old 08-31-2018, 04:06 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Quick update, got a set of non TUV 'super sound' version mufflers delivered today! Hope I'll get some of that sound back! They do look good too.

​​​​​​
Old 08-31-2018, 09:39 AM
DeanClevername
Instructor

Nice! Can you post before and after youtube videos? Preferably a drive by vs revving in neutral. Not a lot of these videos out there and I feel like they would really help all the folks stuck in the endless exhaust debate haha
Old 08-31-2018, 11:12 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by DeanClevername
Nice! Can you post before and after youtube videos? Preferably a drive by vs revving in neutral. Not a lot of these videos out there and I feel like they would really help all the folks stuck in the endless exhaust debate haha
Sure, I'll give it a try. Probably can't do drive by but can do a start up before and after! Keep you posted.
​​​​​​
​​​​​​
Old 09-10-2018, 12:24 AM
dan_189
Race Car

nstalled the super sound on the weekend - whoa - I've created a monster!

Sounds awesome and even better than it did before - haven't driven it yet but just the startup and a very light rev under 2,000rpm and it sounds awesome!!

As always I forgot to do a before video! Although I'd say super sound would be way too loud for some people and i'd recommend the TUV sound version - which is what I had before the super sound. Will give a nice balance - for me super sound all the way!

Very tempted to pull the trigger on the cargraphic headers but I think i'll wait a bit for those.

Comparison of TUV Sound and Super Sound (slightly smaller) probably internally very different:

Installed:

Last edited by dan_189; 09-10-2018 at 12:53 AM.
Old 01-24-2019, 11:36 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Forgot to follow this up actually - don't use the image above as a reference! I saw the xpipe installed like that on facebook from an independent here. It's wrong the heat shield will contact the wires of the sensor and then make them too short to route correctly.

The O2 sensors should point inwards.

Quick Reply: Original catalitic converters seem louder than new xpipe??