Sponsored by:

996-2 (2003) C4S Coupe Turbo Decklid Installation

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2018, 08:02 PM
Crystalbaymark
4th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 996-2 (2003) C4S Coupe Turbo Decklid Installation

I would like to install a turbo decklid on my 996-2 C4S and see that I need to exchange the filler piece between the rear window and the decklid with the turbo body fill piece. The filler piece that needs to be exchanged is where the third brake light is currently mounted, the new thinner (by a inch or so) piece will not have a third light mount as the third light will relocate to the decklid wing area. So my question is how to remove the filler piece!? Different blogs advise to either remove the mounting torx screws (three under the back edge accessible under the decklid and a couple from the interior under the firewall cover and insulation); snap it out - it will suddenly break away with a click or snap; or it is welded in and will require body work by a shop to remove. My vehicle does not have the rear window wiper, so the only penetration in the filler piece is for the third brake light.

Question - has anyone done this before on a 2003 C4S Coupe (i.e., not Convertible) that can clarify what action I need to take to remove and install the Turbo filler piece? A web link to a technical solution also would help!
Old 07-20-2018, 05:02 AM
michalik.piotr
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Why? the turbo wings leak fluid and break all the time. Dealer wants up to $3k to fix it and the two aftermarket solutions I know of are b/t 1.2 and 2.7k. The c4s looks better w/o a wing, its smooth and the red strip is cool.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:56 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Old 07-20-2018, 11:54 AM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

I’m sure most will simply comment that such is blasphemy, but it’s your car: follow your dreams. Can’t wait to see how it turns out!

And please do keep us posted. I keep thinking I’d like to do the same but wanna wait until I get some other styling bits squared before I make the leap.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:10 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Loren on Renntech is a guru. I'd follow the instructions at the link above.

Oh, and let me know if you need a turbo decklid. I have a turbo decklid in terrific condition, with the wing, and some low fixed mounts. I bought it from a rennlister (I was going to modify it to fit my C2) but decided to go in a different direction.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:25 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by michalik.piotr
Why? the turbo wings leak fluid and break all the time. Dealer wants up to $3k to fix it and the two aftermarket solutions I know of are b/t 1.2 and 2.7k. The c4s looks better w/o a wing, its smooth and the red strip is cool.

rebleed costs $20 bucks in parts and fluid with about an 1 hour to do. Did mine twice before I went with electric rams.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:01 AM
Crystalbaymark
4th Gear

Thank you for the responses - however the link ( https://www.renntech.org/forums/topi...on-my-c4s-cab/ ) is for a Cab, not Coupe. The Turbo decklid fits the C4S Cab, but not the C4S Coupe - the filler piece between the rear window and the decklid (it houses the third brake light on the C4S) needs to be exchanged with a filler piece from the Turbo and in doing so the third light is operational in the wing are of the decklid. So, I am still on the hunt for information on how to remove this piece would be most appreciated. Again, the vehicle is a 2003 996-2 C4S. Thank you again!!!
Old 07-21-2018, 01:49 PM
1stz
Advanced

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Just remove 4 anchor bolts - 2 on each side

Make sure you unplug wiring harness & sensor first. I’ve gone back & forth between my OEM rear deck lid and my TechArt - all I had to do were to remove 4 bolts (2 on each side - see pics) and then transfer several pieces over.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:39 PM
Crystalbaymark
4th Gear

Thank you for the feed back! Unfortunately what I have is a true Turbo decklid and it won't swap across without changing out the third light filler piece with a Turbo (non third light) filler piece! I wish my solution was a simple and straight forward as yours. Thank you again for sharing - you have a beautiful car!

Quick Reply: 996-2 (2003) C4S Coupe Turbo Decklid Installation