996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Row m030 vs. HR clubsport coils

Old 07-16-2018, 04:00 PM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts
Default Row m030 vs. HR clubsport coils

Has anyone installed the H&R clubsport coils? I haven't found any hits by searching. i was also planning to upgrade to row m030 but these coilovers are less than $1700 (less sways as compared to the row 030 kit for $1300 ish).
Old 07-17-2018, 12:21 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 224 Likes on 137 Posts

I have them, but only for about 3 months so far. Feel free to PM detailed questions.
Old 07-17-2018, 12:37 AM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

A halfway point between the two would be the h&r sp coilovers , firmer than mo30 ( which I originally had) but not as teeth chattering as the rss club sports by h&r . The sp coilovers are closest to the factory gt3 coilovers , which were also bilstein cores and h&r springs . Both only adjustable for height .

that said , the mo30s are a good package for the money as they also come with sway bars , if it's a pure street car , row mo30 has a lot to recommend it .
Old 07-17-2018, 06:32 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

V996 has it right, and here are my early impressions (it is too soon for a full review):
1. Ride Comfort: Very firm (I mean really stiff). I like it for my purposes (>60% track). I like it even on normal roads, but you have to plan your route and avoid roads that are not in decent condition.
2. Track Performance: Not clear, due to several personal and vehicle reasons, I have not been to the track yet this year . My next track event is hopefully in the September time frame.
3. Handling: For spirited driving on country/twisty roads, the performance is dramatically improved. Previously I had a Vogtland Spring/Bilstein B6 Shock combo (about 20mm lower than stock)
4. Ride Height: Adjustable, of course. I dialed it in to be low, but give tire clearance (about another 10mm lower than my previous combo)
5. Geometry: After the H&R coilovers were installed, my car developed an extreme case of what I would call "Rear Bump Steer". There was no way I could drive it like that the Track or on the Highway. I tried 2 different local shops for alignments and advice. After tons of searching on RL and talking to many other P-car track experts, I decided to replace the following (Rear Toe Links->I had the Tarett Adjustable, I went to the Tarett Motorsports Adjustable. Rear Upper Arms->These were original (1999!), I replaced with the Torque Solutions SS arms. Viola! Problem solved and the rear suspension feeling around during cornering is rock solid and amazing. I can't wait to get to the track!
6. Regrets: During my Rr Bump Steer investigation, I realized that I should have gone with Coilovers w/ adjustable damping (either 1 or 2 way). There are other Coilovers (Feal for one) that offer this and adjustable top mounts for Camber & for less $. This would allow so much more flexibility at the track!

I do not have experience with the ROW M030 suspension, so I cannot compare.

Let us know more specifics and others can help with your questions.

What year and spec is your car?
What % will it be used for the track?
Where do you live? How are the roads?
Old 07-17-2018, 02:36 PM
danielcooper9
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Thanks for the feedback. This is 2004 C2 with aero. My use is 90% street. I was comfortable with the description of the row m030 for my purpose as a better suspension for spirited driving than my stock suspension except that I have read mixed reports about the degree of lowering the car. Some have said it didn't lower the car at all and on the other side a bit less than an inch lower. That's the main reason I was asking about the height adjustable coils. I'm comfortable not needing damping control. I just want a sportier suspension and slightly lowered.

It sounds like row m030 is the most practical for me.
Old 07-17-2018, 05:32 PM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Ok, understandable. If you are ever in Michigan and want to try out the suspension, just let me know. If you want to PM your e-mail, I can send pictures of the comparison of my car with the Vogtland Lowering Springs vs. the H&R RSS coilovers.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Row m030 vs. HR clubsport coils