Sponsored by:

Front tire question

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2018, 01:53 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Front tire question

I'm curious if anyone has run into this - it's a new one for me. I just had to buy my third set of tires (and for you new guys, budget accordingly), but on this occasion I had to change all four even though I did all four about 16k miles ago. On my last two sets, by the time the rears were bald the fronts still had plenty of tread. The only functional change to the car was swapping the old Turbo Twists for a set of OZ Alleggerita's (with fresh tires all the way around). The wear was pretty even across all tires, but in this case I would have said the fronts were even more worn than the rears. Any ideas why this might be the case?

Rick
Old 07-09-2018, 02:04 PM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I get an alignment every time I buy new tires. It has cut down on wear considerably, but the rears deff wear quicker due to the weight and my heavy foot.

I use firestone, they offer unlimited lifetime alignment (every 6,000 miles or 6 months) as long as you own vehicle. They use latest/greatest hunter machine which pulls from Porsche specs or you can have set what variables you want. I think I paid $249 bucks for that service.

Old 07-09-2018, 02:42 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Originally Posted by RickMiller
I'm curious if anyone has run into this - it's a new one for me. I just had to buy my third set of tires (and for you new guys, budget accordingly), but on this occasion I had to change all four even though I did all four about 16k miles ago. On my last two sets, by the time the rears were bald the fronts still had plenty of tread. The only functional change to the car was swapping the old Turbo Twists for a set of OZ Alleggerita's (with fresh tires all the way around). The wear was pretty even across all tires, but in this case I would have said the fronts were even more worn than the rears. Any ideas why this might be the case?

Rick
If the tread is not wearing evenly across the entire tread surface you are leaving money on the table. (road) Adjust alignment & air pressure to achive even wear. Tire brand affects tread life also.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:48 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Hmmm...I've never gotten an alignment done, but the drive has always been smooth so I never thought of it as a problem. Something to consider for sure. All of my recent sets have been Michelin's (PSS) so just weird that I would wear the fronts so quickly.
Old 07-10-2018, 09:29 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Hmmm...I've never gotten an alignment done, but the drive has always been smooth so I never thought of it as a problem. Something to consider for sure. All of my recent sets have been Michelin's (PSS) so just weird that I would wear the fronts so quickly.

is the tire wear even or more so on one side of tire?
Old 07-10-2018, 11:55 AM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

No, it was pretty even except that in this case the fronts appeared marginally more worn than the rears. At any rate, I’m going to be watching this new set like a hawk.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:41 PM
knfeparty
Race Car

Received 33 Likes on 23 Posts

I run OZs allegeritas on my autocross setup. I likewise can run a set of fronts for two seasons but need a pair of rears each season. I will flip the fronts on the rim to get a fresh outside, since the car never wears the inside edge out.

I would highly suspect your front toe is out of whack.
Old 07-10-2018, 01:46 PM
Byprodriver
Rennlist Member

Received 173 Likes on 135 Posts

Your smooth ride brought to you by Michelin & properly balanced wheels/tires. Alignment has zero effect there.
Old 07-22-2018, 03:23 PM
RickMiller
Rennlist Member

Well, that ended up as a humiliating learning experience. I got a 4 wheel alignment at the local Porsche dealership and it turned out that both fronts were out of spec with the passenger side tire significantly so. We probably won't know if this was the primary culprit for a few months or so, but the tech agreed that it would likely be a substantial contributing factor. Thanks for the feedback!

R
Old 07-22-2018, 08:32 PM
sasilverbullet
Rennlist Member

Received 741 Likes on 385 Posts

Well, that ended up as a humiliating learning experience. I got a 4 wheel alignment at the local Porsche dealership and it turned out that both fronts were out of spec with the passenger side tire significantly so. We probably won't know if this was the primary culprit for a few months or so, but the tech agreed that it would likely be a substantial contributing factor. Thanks for the feedback!

R
Good to know! Once I get my new Michelin's on I'll check out Firestone for an alignment!

Quick Reply: Front tire question