Sponsored by:

6M (stock) Transmission Issue

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2018, 11:07 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 6M (stock) Transmission Issue

Over the past two weeks, my 02 C4S started missing gears when shifting. It’s 3rd and 5th only. When I go to shift into them occasionally (up or downshift) the lever moves seamlessly but nothing engages, just feels like a big empty void. No grinding. If I release the clutch and re-engage it, I am able to shift and engage that gear. I don’t have any grinding or difficulty engaging or disengaging from gears otherwise. Based on the behavior and some of what I found on the forum, I plan on putting the car up and looking at the shift cables to see if there is play. I couldn’t find a problem described like this, so thought I’d ask though to make sure I’m looking at the right things.

Car has 64k miles on. I don’t think it is the original clutch, but I need to check with the dealer who serviced it under a PO. Overall clutch travel and feel seems to be same as it has always been for the 13k miles (past year) I’ve owned the car.

Thanks

Last edited by DASC4S; 07-08-2018 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-08-2018, 03:07 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you checked the cables, did you only check where the ends connect to the trans? You need to check upstream a few inches where the cables connect to the bracket on the side of the trans. You will have the problem you are describing when the cable is not held in the bracket correctly.
Old 07-08-2018, 05:18 PM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by tomcat
When you checked the cables, did you only check where the ends connect to the trans? You need to check upstream a few inches where the cables connect to the bracket on the side of the trans. You will have the problem you are describing when the cable is not held in the bracket correctly.
having checked yet, will be checking this week. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look there.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:17 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by DASC4S

having checked yet, will be checking this week. Thanks for the suggestion, I will look there.
Meant to close this out. Checked it while doing an oil change. Both the selector and gear shift were popped out of the brackets as Tomcat described. Popped them both in and works great. Now to deal with a stripped oil pan plug....
Old 10-10-2018, 01:44 AM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Meant to close this out. Checked it while doing an oil change. Both the selector and gear shift were popped out of the brackets as Tomcat described. Popped them both in and works great. Now to deal with a stripped oil pan plug....
If it's the threads on the oil pan, as opposed to the plug, I remember the folks at Flat6 Innovations saying in a similar thread that they had a bunch of pans from dead engines they would be willing to sell. Not hard to swap one out, but you do need sealant to install the new pan.
Old 10-10-2018, 07:08 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Splitting Atoms
If it's the threads on the oil pan, as opposed to the plug, I remember the folks at Flat6 Innovations saying in a similar thread that they had a bunch of pans from dead engines they would be willing to sell. Not hard to swap one out, but you do need sealant to install the new pan.
sorry, wasn’t clear. It’s the plug, the 8mm hex stripped. It’s a new magnetic plug and this was the third oil change with it. Used correct tool, torques, etc. as far as I know. Discovered my rear tires are shredding at the rim too and need to be replaced. At least I can shift sitting in the driveway.
Old 10-10-2018, 08:38 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

^^ Make sure you put some zip ties on them so they don't pop out again (if you don't zip tie them they will...). If I were you I'd get in touch with Charles Navarro from LN Engineering and tell him about the magnetic drain plug stripping out. He's pretty good about treating his customers fairly when it comes to their parts... Good luck
Old 10-24-2018, 08:14 AM
DASC4S
Intermediate

I did zip tie them, after not doing it the first time. Learning from mistakes. Looking at my Bentley manual and pictures online, it seems the cause of this popping out is just a spring loaded mechanism that is part of the cable assembly that wears out, not an external clip that popped off and could be replaced. Is that right?
Old 10-24-2018, 08:58 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

The clips just don't work very well. They're not part of the cable assembly - just a cheap external part. Put the cable back in it's place a zip tie it, or if you really want to be proactive, twist a piece of stainless steel or copper wire around it so it can't pop out...

Quick Reply: 6M (stock) Transmission Issue