Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

996 search. What do you all think about this one??

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2018, 12:41 AM
rabi
Track Day

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

It is a flooded car, in the pictures, you can see the interior needed to be gutted, WD40 can required to remove stuff bolted to the floor pan, and appears that some spots had to be resprayed.

That's why the price is so low.

It's hard to tell from far away, but from the picture alone I'd say that whoever put it back together took care and did a decent job.

And that is why I wouldn't hesitate to go and have a closer look.

What to consider: potential engine or mechanical issues notwithstanding, I'd treat the rebuilt title as just that--loss of value. What I don't like: "No issues with this car at all." Rebuilt title is an issue, and should've been listed clearly at the outset. Also, have a careful look at the weld seams, peeling sealant, electrical issues, etc. Regardless of it's history, if it's redone properly and has been fully functional for a while, you might find more value in it than your cost.
Old 07-06-2018, 12:56 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

Seller is a member of RL FB and if his story checks out, this could be a fair deal at $9-10K...Don't expect to get it back in the long run but enjoy the car. It only has 19K miles on it
Old 07-07-2018, 02:35 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

With great risk there is a remote chance of great reward. You really need to be a true risk taker to go after these types of deals. I've had good luck with most of my risky Porsche buys and on every one of them I was told not to buy them for all the same reasons you’re getting. My first one was a 2011 Cayman S with 160,000 miles and zero maintenance history. It was a truly amazing car that I drove for a year and 5k miles and spent less than $500 in maintenance on it. I sold it for more then I paid for it and I just heard from the new owner that he has put 15k miles on it and only done front brakes and plugs. Next I bought a 2007 Boxster S with a flood title. Very similar to your story. All that had to be done was the immobilizer. I Drove it a few 1000 miles and fixed a few minor things that had nothing to do with any flood issues. Sold it for a profit. Lastly I just recently bought a 2002 911 C4 with 107,000 miles. I bought this without going to see it and already knowing it needed quite a bit of repairs and doing IMS and RMS. The jury is still out I on this one but I don’t think I will come out ahead. But on the two first cars I did a lot of research and looked the cars over very carefully. Only did PPI on Cayman. So listen to what everyone is telling you and if still interested findout as much as you can. But know that if you buy it you are taking a big risk.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:01 PM
docmirror
Shameful Thread Killer
Rennlist Member

Received 75 Likes on 60 Posts

I'd buy it. I don't like silver and black, and I would still buy it for around $10-12k. Deal with the flood issues if any, and drive it like ya stole it. Put in an IMS, and likely go for another 100k miles. If elec stuff breaks, repair or replace it. Keep a few cans of De-Ox-It in the frunk and go. Not much that can fail catastrophic from electrons.
Old 07-07-2018, 03:55 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

I bought mine as a literal "bring a trailer" car off Craigslist. It had an electrical issue that ruined two alternators and one battery. I was not able to test drive it because it would just die when the battery ran out of power. I did hear it run though. I suspected a bad ground and asked the previous owner about it. He said he had taken it to the shop and he was done messing with it. It did indeed have a bad ground from the battery to the body, and that was the problem.

I took a chance my car because:

1. I was only paying about four thousand dollars more than a roller, so my downside was limited.
2. I was dealing directly with the second owner who had owned it for years. He was a straight up guy.
3. It had some maintenance records and documents back to the original purchase.
4. It has a clean title and clean Carfax, although the PO did disclose some non-structural damage he had repaired that I wouldn't have known about if he hadn't mentioned it.

A flood car would be more concerning due to likely electrical gremlins that will appear over time. The salvage title will also limit what you can sell it for in the future. This wouldn't necessarily stop me from buying it, but I would have it checked over thoroughly and want to buy it cheep enough that I can spend some money on it in the future without feeling like it is a money pit, or that I should have bought a better car.
Old 07-07-2018, 04:10 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

I've also heard that insurance company's had written new cars off for condensation on the interior's (maybe I exaggerate a little) and based on the story, a thorough PPI would make the risk low on this one.
I would not kick it out of bed yet!
Old 07-07-2018, 04:21 PM
Splitting Atoms
Burning Brakes

Received 70 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
I've also heard that insurance company's had written new cars off for condensation on the interior's (maybe I exaggerate a little) and based on the story, a thorough PPI would make the risk low on this one.
I would not kick it out of bed yet!
If so, probably due to mold.

It looks like the seller pretty much gutted the interior on this one to clean it up, so hopefully mold will not be an issue.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:00 PM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

If all that happened was some water getting in due to leaking top and supposedly only taking out the immobilizer, why did he remove so much of the interior? That and it's in Houston is very concerning and a red flag. Get the vin# and Google it. That can turn up some good info like maybe original pictures before it was sold. Also I use this https://www.mycarfax.com. It's great and free.
Old 07-07-2018, 11:14 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

I am not about to debate this particular car, but it isn’t that difficult to remove the interior carpets on a 996. If the owner suspected any potential water intrusion, it isn’t such a huge deal to remove the seats and carpets to evaluate for potential evidence or damage.
Old 07-08-2018, 11:48 AM
CoupesOnly
Advanced

I agree, but take a good look at the picture and you will see he removed a lot more then carpet and seats. I wiould only buy a flood title car if I was convinced that it only had very minor water incursion
Old 07-09-2018, 04:20 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

I just got a message that he sold it.
Which one of y'all picked it up?
Old 07-09-2018, 04:34 PM
efd914
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel
I just got a message that he sold it.
Which one of y'all picked it up?
Not me, I ultimately decided that there were too many issues with title and being an ultralow mileage car. I will keep looking for a solid car with good Hx.
Old 07-09-2018, 04:50 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by efd914
Not me, I ultimately decided that there were too many issues with title and being an ultralow mileage car. I will keep looking for a solid car with good Hx.
I decided that the rebuilt title would cause me too many problems selling it in the future.
I'm too old for irritating problems dealing with buyers.

I told my friend to let me know if he wanted to go look at it and I'd take my Snap-on scanner, my Durametric, and my manometer and we could check most things out.
Then if he wanted we could either get a PPI done locally, or take it to my place to do it ourselves.
It is about an hour and a half away from my place.
He was still "thinking about it" when I saw him yesterday.
I'm still not back to 100%, so I didn't mind not going to look at it.

Quick Reply: 996 search. What do you all think about this one??