Sponsored by:

Advice on finding rollers?

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2018, 06:17 PM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Advice on finding rollers?

Hi all... Looking for advice on the best way to find a roller? Just wondering if there are better sources than Ebay or Craigslist?

I've got a good working 2001 996, but I want to practice tearing down an engine. If it works out I rebuild the engine, if not, well, part the car do an LS swap or whatever.
Old 06-21-2018, 08:42 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 805 Likes on 543 Posts

There was one on Rennlist Facebook page a few weeks ago.
Old 06-21-2018, 09:55 PM
TexSquirrel
RL Community Team
Rennlist Member

Received 2,389 Likes on 1,266 Posts

Originally Posted by JSRossie
Hi all... Looking for advice on the best way to find a roller? Just wondering if there are better sources than Ebay or Craigslist?

I've got a good working 2001 996, but I want to practice tearing down an engine. If it works out I rebuild the engine, if not, well, part the car do an LS swap or whatever.
My suggestion is to look for a Boxster.
The engine is pretty much the same, and you can find a running Boxster for less than a 996 roller.
I saw a cheap one on the Austin Craigslist recently.
If it had been closer I would have bought it.
I’m SW of Houston.
I’m waiting for a closer Boxster to pick up and rebuild the engine.
I might go with larger LN Nickies and pistons.
A 3.2 can be built into a 3.8.
Old 06-21-2018, 10:51 PM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Received 252 Likes on 133 Posts

eBay and craigslist are the two most likely places to find one, but also check auto trader. When I was looking, I checked craigslist in every major city within a days drive from me. Eventually I found mine on eBay, but I contacted a few on CL also. They are available but not as often as some would have you believe. I looked online daily for more than six months before finding the right car. Patience and waiting for the right deal are key.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:38 AM
I am the Walrus
Burning Brakes

Received 52 Likes on 39 Posts

Post a WTB 996 Roller in the Ad section on rennlist
Old 06-22-2018, 01:07 AM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by TexSquirrel

My suggestion is to look for a Boxster.
The engine is pretty much the same, and you can find a running Boxster for less than a 996 roller.
I saw a cheap one on the Austin Craigslist recently.
If it had been closer I would have bought it.
I’m SW of Houston.
I’m waiting for a closer Boxster to pick up and rebuild the engine.
I might go with larger LN Nickies and pistons.
A 3.2 can be built into a 3.8.
I had thought of that, and even saw that Boxster for $4900. But if I go for a Boxster I want to hold out for an S.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:09 AM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Coopduc
eBay and craigslist are the two most likely places to find one, but also check auto trader. When I was looking, I checked craigslist in every major city within a days drive from me. Eventually I found mine on eBay, but I contacted a few on CL also. They are available but not as often as some would have you believe. I looked online daily for more than six months before finding the right car. Patience and waiting for the right deal are key.
Good stuff. Thanks. I’m in Austin, I will keep an eye on DFW and Houston too.
Old 06-22-2018, 01:38 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

How much are you willing to spend? You could get a high mileage car that needs a rebuild for $12K or buy a blown motor they're out there..
Old 06-22-2018, 08:36 AM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by 808Bill
How much are you willing to spend? You could get a high mileage car that needs a rebuild for $12K or buy a blown motor they're out there..
I was thinking about $5k but maybe I’m off. I’m basing that off of one of the recent roller thrrrsds here. I’ve already done the high mileage route, my current car runs good now but with 3700 hours/137K miles on the engine I plan to do an overhaul. The problem is everything else that tends to be wrong with those high mile cars. (Speaking from experience with mine.)
Old 06-22-2018, 09:13 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

$5k is the typical accepted price for a roller, but it is possible to get them for less, depending on the situation of the seller. Most typically see the cars as money pits, and decide to sell after reaching their limit on what they are willing to spend to get them running again. Anyone having to pay an indy to do their rebuild will quickly realize they are in a financially losing situation. Some owners don’t care and love the car so much that money is no object, but most reach the point where they are unwilling to throw any more money into the pit, and just want the problem to go away. I think these are the cars you can get cheapest.
Old 06-22-2018, 10:32 AM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

$5k is the typical accepted price for a roller, but it is possible to get them for less, depending on the situation of the seller. Most typically see the cars as money pits, and decide to sell after reaching their limit on what they are willing to spend to get them running again. Anyone having to pay an indy to do their rebuild will quickly realize they are in a financially losing situation. Some owners don’t care and love the car so much that money is no object, but most reach the point where they are unwilling to throw any more money into the pit, and just want the problem to go away. I think these are the cars you can get cheapest.
Good advice, thanks. I could be wrong, but I feel like a good portion of the 996 community are people who like to do things themselves. If you are not willing to drop an engine I suspect you will go looking for a newer 997 or 986 if a rebuild becomes necessary.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:53 AM
Coopduc
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by JSRossie
Good advice, thanks. I could be wrong, but I feel like a good portion of the 996 community are people who like to do things themselves. If you are not willing to drop an engine I suspect you will go looking for a newer 997 or 986 if a rebuild becomes necessary.
if you talk about the rennlist community, maybe. The vast majority of the cars you will find on eBay or Craigslist are owned by “typical” used car owners. It’s both a blessing and a curse. These cars have been inexpensive long enough for a used car buyer can afford them, and like the “prestige” of driving a Porsche. They soon find out the maintenance and cost of parts is far from inexpensive, and not at all like the typical Honda or Toyota. So, maintenance gets delayed or is nonexistent until a breakdown occurs. That’s the curse.
The blessing is that these cars (rollers) can be purchased cheaply from owners just willing to get rid of their problem. For those of us willing to do the work ourselves and don’t mind a project, they can be a rewarding experience.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:59 AM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Careful, it's an illness...
Old 06-22-2018, 12:20 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Also, if you go into this as a fun project, you'll probably be happier. I think a lot of people go into it thinking this is a cheap way to buy a Porsche, but from my perspective, it ends up costing about the same in dollar cost and you put a ton of time into it.

My advice, when asked, is to buy a decent running car to start with. There are plenty of good runners out there. Send your wrenching time on deferred and preventative maintenance - there is probably enough to keep most people happy.

If you want an engine to tear apart for fun, drop me a PM. I have one that is a likely D-chunk failure, I'd sell, that may serve your purpose without the cost of a roller.
Old 06-22-2018, 12:21 PM
JSRossie
Rennlist Member

if you talk about the rennlist community, maybe. The vast majority of the cars you will find on eBay or Craigslist are owned by “typical” used car owners. It’s both a blessing and a curse. These cars have been inexpensive long enough for a used car buyer can afford them, and like the “prestige” of driving a Porsche. They soon find out the maintenance and cost of parts is far from inexpensive, and not at all like the typical Honda or Toyota. So, maintenance gets delayed or is nonexistent until a breakdown occurs. That’s the curse.
The blessing is that these cars (rollers) can be purchased cheaply from owners just willing to get rid of their problem. For those of us willing to do the work ourselves and don’t mind a project, they can be a rewarding experience.
Yeah, good point. Maybe it's just us folks here.

Quick Reply: Advice on finding rollers?