Sponsored by:

Chirpy squealy sound at idle from back of engine

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2018, 03:18 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Chirpy squealy sound at idle from back of engine

What can cause this? Belt is fairly new. Noise is intermittent. When it does make the noise, it will stop when you rev engine and come back at idle. I changed the water pump about 15k miles ago when the impeller shaft started leaking. Belt replaced at same time. Idler pulleys? Those are original. 01 C2 with 80k miles.
Old 06-20-2018, 03:24 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Can you record sound and post?
Old 06-20-2018, 03:27 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Received 1,091 Likes on 701 Posts

One of the pulleys or the alternator or the power steering pump. Check power steering fluid level. Remove the belt and check all pulleys by hand.
Old 06-20-2018, 04:33 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

I took belt off. Everything seems good. There is a slight amount of play fore and aft of water pump pulley. Pretty sure it is the air conditioner pulley. It has a scratchy noise when you spin it. No play though. Is this fixable without replacing the whole unit?
Old 06-20-2018, 05:06 PM
Apollo76
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Currently experiencing a potentially similar issue, coming from left side. Does it seem like it's coming from one side or the other? I ask because, if I push up against the left exhaust tip with my foot while the car is parked and running, the noise goes away. Take foot away, noise comes back. When car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a few miles, noise disappears.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:10 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Apollo76
Currently experiencing a potentially similar issue, coming from left side. Does it seem like it's coming from one side or the other? I ask because, if I push up against the left exhaust tip with my foot while the car is parked and running, the noise goes away. Take foot away, noise comes back. When car is fully warmed up and has been driven for a few miles, noise disappears.
You need to check the first muffler exhaust tip clamp and make sure it is tight.
Old 06-20-2018, 05:15 PM
DBJoe996
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
I took belt off. Everything seems good. There is a slight amount of play fore and aft of water pump pulley. Pretty sure it is the air conditioner pulley. It has a scratchy noise when you spin it. No play though. Is this fixable without replacing the whole unit?
Yes, you can get just the magnetic clutch assembly, but it is expensive and probably more than a whole new compressor if you look around. You will probably need some special tools to replace just the magnetic clutch, so maybe a local AC shop can help. See here http://www.autoatlanta.com/porsche-p...section=813-15
Old 06-20-2018, 05:22 PM
Apollo76
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DBJoe996
You need to check the first muffler exhaust tip clamp and make sure it is tight.
First thing I checked, it's tight. I can push up on the pipe itself, and the noise goes away too. When I had it at my indy for the most recent oil change, I had him investigate as well. Hell, he took the whole left exhaust off to try to find it because the noise was audible to him as well. No luck. Definitely not the belt, or pulleys or alternator.
Old 06-20-2018, 06:40 PM
wildbilly32
Drifting

Received 774 Likes on 496 Posts

Originally Posted by Apollo76
Does your exhaust system include the extension brackets as per the pics attached? If so is the weld cracked or broken at the tailpipe? Mine was and exhibited the same symptoms. Went way when I put my toe on bottom just like yours. I could also hear it when pulling away from a stop. Maybe mech. missed it

Old 06-20-2018, 11:34 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Ouch! That thing is expensive. Whole compressor comes with clutch assembly and is cheaper? Might have to wait a while. Literally just picked the car up from shop today for IMS LNE retro kit and RMS and $2k out of my wallet. Get home and hear this darn noise. Has happened before once or twice on start up, but now didn't go away. Didn't make the noise at shop when I started it up, of course. The joys of having a 17 year old daily driver I guess
Old 06-20-2018, 11:42 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Dryslick13
Ouch! That thing is expensive. Whole compressor comes with clutch assembly and is cheaper? Might have to wait a while. Literally just picked the car up from shop today for IMS LNE retro kit and RMS and $2k out of my wallet. Get home and hear this darn noise. Has happened before once or twice on start up, but now didn't go away. Didn't make the noise at shop when I started it up, of course. The joys of having a 17 year old daily driver I guess
Just get this from a 35k mile car. Harvest the pulley and keep/sell the compressor.
https://m.ebay.com/itm/04-Boxster-S-Limited-EDITION-Porsche-Engine-3-2-AC-COMPRESSOR-99612601152-35-472/272651905273?hash=item3f7b51e8f9:g:SZQAAOSwrhBZBQIk
Old 06-21-2018, 01:15 AM
Dryslick13
Racer

Found one for $69 w/free shipping off a track car with 20k miles. Thanks for the idea! Should fix her right up
Old 06-21-2018, 01:46 PM
Ahsai
Nordschleife Master

Received 62 Likes on 47 Posts

Good to hear.
Old 06-21-2018, 01:57 PM
charlieaf92
Rennlist Member

Received 96 Likes on 52 Posts

Try spinning your idler pulleys (with the belt removed). They should spin like 1 turn and stop - if they spin like crazy and have some rattling noise they're shot and need replaced.
Old 06-21-2018, 07:35 PM
Balu
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wildbilly32
Does your exhaust system include the extension brackets as per the pics attached? If so is the weld cracked or broken at the tailpipe? Mine was and exhibited the same symptoms. Went way when I put my toe on bottom just like yours. I could also hear it when pulling away from a stop. Maybe mech. missed it

When I test drove the car at purchase it "chirped/squeaked" at idle
as we did a walk around so I pressed on the tip... bingo. So they welded it.
Next season same thing so I had a local regular mechanic weld it again.
Later while driving past buildings and such it was noisy again so I figured
maybe a pulley, belt or bearing issue.
Come fall time I discover it's cracked again.
Took the tip off and delivered the section of pipe and bracket to a machine shop
and had it done properly. All good and a cheap fix.
There's a few scrape marks on the bottoms of the tips so perhaps it's more
prevalent than we think?

Quick Reply: Chirpy squealy sound at idle from back of engine