Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

"Potential" RMS Failure...Delear comments True or False?

Search this Thread

Old 01-07-2004 | 06:38 PM
mim3
Instructor

Default "Potential" RMS Failure...Delear comments True or False?

Hello, I have found this board to be an invaluable wealth of knowledge! Thanks in advance for any information that might help.

Here is my story.

I purchased a '99C4 on 11/21/2003 from Mike Jernigan, Napelton Porsche in Chicago, IL. The vehicle is in very good condition, single owner, and 9650miles. I met with Kerry Terlep the service manager and went over the service history. Very clean service histroy. I asked specifically about the RMS and was told everything was OK.

I brought the car home to MI. With the Holidays upon us it was not until 12/29/2003 that I was able to get the car in for a check up. I took it to East Imports, Grand Rapids, MI. The car arrived w/10441 miles on it. They found the car needed to have a 4 wheel alignment and noted the RMS was "starting leaking-just seeping now". I asked Brad Conklin (East Imports) what Porsche AG would be willing to do. After a couple of days I spoke w/Brad and he told me the Porsche Rep (Louis Latisia) said Porsche no longer has a program in place to "help out" with RMS repairs. Brad also added that since I was the 2nd owner Porsche had no loyalty towards me.

I contact Mike at Napelton on 1/5 to tell him about the RMS. Mike has Kerry call Brad in GR to get the scoope. Brad confirms their findings w/Kerry.

Today I get hold of Kerry at Napelton to see what they are willing to do. Kerry asked that I drop the car off so they can clean the area, add dye, run for awhile, and diagnose. All this to insure the RMS is failing. Kerry also added that Porsche will do nothing to help offset the repair cost. He was of the opinion that the RMS was failing because owners were slipping the clutch thus causing the assembly to overheat. Obviously not me in 900 miles! Only after I tell him about reading other owners experience does he tell me he can offer $350 towards the repair. I then ask him if the repair will have a 2yr warranty. Kerry said the only way to get the 2yr warranty is if I paid the total cost. I then asked what happens if you find our during the repair that the engine should be replaced? His reply was that we would wait to cross that bridge if needed. I was also told that to receive the $350 discount the car needed to be service before its 5yr anniversary (2/22/04).

First, I am pretty upset about them not mentioning the RMS. I have to believe they performed a comprehensive inspection before taking the car in on trade. The car was bought and maintained by Napelton. They definitely went over my trade in. To the extent of examing the exterior with a paint monitor.

I guess my options are:
-have them do the work w/$350 discount (no warranty)
-pay full price and go somewhere else
-purchase extended warranty (Napelton)

Overall I find myself in the group of Porsche owners who are not happy. I have had the car for 2 months and driven less than 900 miles. I choose to spend my money with a Porsche dealer because I thought it meant something. Further, it is my opinion the dealer was not honest at the time of sale. Service departments at Both East Imports and Napelton have not been overly helpful. I have no confidence replacing the RMS will "fix" the problem.

If this is what Porsche ownership is like then it is definitely not what I expected.

Thanks for listening and I hope someone can offer some advice.
Old 01-08-2004 | 12:01 AM
JoeW
Pro

Very sorry for your plight. It doesn't sound like you had a PPI done -- well, it's too late for that now.

And no, I don't see any options other than what you've listed.

But I don't think the dealer was actually "lying." In dealerspeak, "no rms problems" means "No one has complained about rms problems." If this car was without a warranty (certification) they would have had no reason to give it the sort of thorough inspection you assumed. That's why the PPI at your expense is so important.

And yes, I'd get the extended warranty. I wouldn't own anything worth $50000 more or less without a warranty. But you might call AAA first as their warranties are acceptable at most places, may not cost quite as much, and may be able to pay for this repair if you can wait out the grace period for the insurance to take effect before having the repair done.

Just an idea. J
Old 01-08-2004 | 12:18 AM
kilrgt
Drifting

The First thing i would do,is try to speak with the porsche rep yourself.If this gets you nowhere, I then would call PCNA, its ironic that your questions comes up today, and ill explain. Today I called PCNA for this very reason, I told them that I just bought a 2000 C2 cab, and I was concerned about the rms leaking. The rep told me to go through the service manager at the Porsche dealer, and then the Porsche area rep . If this all fails i was told that i should call PCNA and they would look at the situation and could override the area rep. I know allot of ppl on rennlist that has had the RMS replaced out of warranty.at NO cost. Regardless if your the 2nd ,3rd or 100 th owner a Porsche is a Porsche and they warrant the car not the driver
Old 01-08-2004 | 01:04 AM
fahren affair
Pro

Default Re: "Potential" RMS Failure...Delear comments True or False?

Originally posted by mim3
"...Overall I find myself in the group of Porsche owners who are not happy. I have had the car for 2 months and driven less than 900 miles. I choose to spend my money with a Porsche dealer because I thought it meant something. Further, it is my opinion the dealer was not honest at the time of sale. Service departments at Both East Imports and Napelton have not been overly helpful. I have no confidence replacing the RMS will "fix" the problem..."
sorry to read about your problems. i hope it's just the rms and it's replaced gratis.

i paid $350 for a dealer ppi on a used 996 that i passed on. it was a joke. i'd like someone to explain how they know an rms will soon fail by a visual inspection? or if the engine will let go or the 'box will fail? i hate to sound like chicken little, but...
Old 01-08-2004 | 08:45 AM
mim3
Instructor

i paid $350 for a dealer ppi on a used 996 that i passed on. it was a joke. i'd like someone to explain how they know an rms will soon fail by a visual inspection? or if the engine will let go or the 'box will fail? i hate to sound like chicken little, but...

Exactly, I wasn't sure what the value would have been if I drove the car 20 minutes to another dealer. I have to believe that it is in the dealers best interest to give an A OK to his buddy down the street. I guess, unless they have a car they want to sell. Their is too much grey area.
Old 01-08-2004 | 10:28 AM
Scouser
Three Wheelin'

And so the saga continues.....RMS, RMS, RMS....I have been beaten up for my doom and gloom postings. I still think John D could help if we had an RMS Forum. At least Porsche would then see this and could research the crying done by its customer base.

mim3, are you also aware that your clutch may need replacing? Even if it doesn't it is best to get it done anyway even on a 10k mile car.

Appliying the dye thing you mentioned is a heap of BS. The Porsche service technicians will "know" an RMS problem as soon as they see it. My bets are they have already done 10s of them, if not more already.

You have had the car barely two months. In the UK, you can take it back and demand a refund in this period if the goods are unfit for the purpose in which they were sold. You asked if it had an RMS problem, he said no. So he either lied or it went on the drive home. It is possible, but it is more likely the RMS failed some time ago before you bought it. I heard there is a Lemmon law in your country. So use it. The other thing you can do if the car is financed is tell them. They own the car, and if its not fit for the road then they will do the sewing for you. Whatever, start looking for a lawyer.

Incidentally, you really should call PCNA first and talk to their Cusomer Relations officer. If you bought the car through the dealership network and it has a FPSH then they will fix it for you under their good will scheme and it will be warranted.

Best of luck.......and remember......get the clutch done too.
Old 01-08-2004 | 11:05 AM
ben in lj
Addict
Rennlist Member

very sorry to hear of your shafting. this should cement the rule - NEVER have the SELLING dealer perform a PPI!
Old 01-08-2004 | 11:46 AM
RWO
Burning Brakes

If I understand you correctly, and you purchased the car at the dealership where the service manager told you the service history and indicated that the RMS was "ok", I'd look into hiring a good lawyer. What is the cost of fixing a RMS leak? Is it a new motor or something less? If it's under $5K, I'd have the repair done and sue the dealership in small claims court. It's an easy process to follow, however, you need to get the conversation with the service manager on the "record". You may only be able to do with through a deposition.

Sorry about your problem. I hope you can get it solved to your satisfaction...

Roy - not a lawyer, just my .02 worth
Old 01-08-2004 | 12:38 PM
Dranon
Rennlist Member

Here in NY the dealer HAS to warrent the car for 90 days wether or not the factory warreny does! I guess I assumed this was the same around the country...

Quick Reply: "Potential" RMS Failure...Delear comments True or False?