Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:
View Poll Results: Which headlight style do you prefer between 996.1 and 996.2?
996.1 headlights look better
43.33%
996.2 headlights look better
46.67%
I don't have a preference between 996.1 and 996.2 headlights
10.00%
Voters: 180. You may not vote on this poll

Poll: Which 996 headlight style do you prefer (996.1 or 996.2)?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2018, 01:01 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

Its a piece of cake....I have done it twice now....only took about 20 minutes for each headlight.
If you live in the seattle area... I can show you some time. :-)
Oh...and thanks all of you for the kind words...I really need to do a post on what has been done with the car but virtually all the mechanicals and instrumention/EC are new. It has 997 3.8 and tranny in it and a bunch of other stuff...I also had the whole car repainted after a small mishap on the track.
Old 05-19-2018, 09:15 AM
Horsepwr
Pro

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Atrox

Thanks man! I say the one on the right, no brainer lol but thats what I have. Wait maybe I have the left side style, but its not orange on the bottom. Sorry for the terrible angle/lighting it was in the garage and I didn't want to move it.

Old 05-19-2018, 09:47 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

The comparison with the mkI amber lights is a bit unfair, and where the “fried egg” reference comes from. The clear Litronic lights look so much nicer. I actually prefer the shape to the “saggy” look of the mkII’s...which I think are just fine btw - just different. It’s all personal preference.
Old 05-19-2018, 10:39 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by dporto
The comparison with the mkI amber lights is a bit unfair, and where the “fried egg” reference comes from. The clear Litronic lights look so much nicer. I actually prefer the shape to the “saggy” look of the mkII’s...which I think are just fine btw - just different. It’s all personal preference.
I think you make a great point...the real question may be the comparison between the Mk1 with the lower amber or the clear. I also agree with your other point...I like the MKII lights too...just favor the MkI for the racing connection.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:27 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Received 647 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
The comparison with the mkI amber lights is a bit unfair, and where the “fried egg” reference comes from.
I'm probably the last guy on the planet to get this, but I never realized the fried eggs reference was due to the "yolk" of the amber insets. I always thought the name was referring to the general shape of the lights. I don't dislike the amber, either in the headlights or the side lights (pumpkins) (though I know I am in the minority on that, at least on RL).

Last edited by peterp; 05-19-2018 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:38 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

I can't see the headlights over the dash. So I guess I could care less. But not much less.
Old 05-19-2018, 11:41 AM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

What's interesting is that when I originally posted this poll without a comparison photo, it was a pretty strong landslide for Mk2 headlights. I think Mk1 was just slightly under 30%. When I added a comparison photo (6 hours after the poll began) in response to Mike's suggestion, the Mk1 seems to be getting a lot more votes. Mk1 currently stands at 41.67% as I write this, and a large number of votes had already been cast in those first 6 hours before I posted the photo, so the Mk1 has made up a lot of ground since the photo was added.

I'm not if that means the photo I used (and other posted in the thread) show the Mk1 in a more flattering light or if people actually like Mk1 headlights more than they think they do when they see them side-by-side.

Last edited by peterp; 05-19-2018 at 12:27 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 01:14 AM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

People love what they own, so seeing a 996.1 predisposition isn’t surprising. Not much statistical validity to this poll. I own both a 996.1 and a 996.2 and could care less. They both drive great, and I can’t see the headlight shape from the driver’s seat.
Old 05-20-2018, 10:17 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cds72911
People love what they own, so seeing a 996.1 predisposition isn’t surprising. Not much statistical validity to this poll. I own both a 996.1 and a 996.2 and could care less. They both drive great, and I can’t see the headlight shape from the driver’s seat.
Seeing your comment and slakker's comment made me think about this more since I had to make a decision on my 8 month build by Dundon Motorsports with respect to the headlights. I don't think people realize why the .2 headlight change actually happened. Keep in mind in 2001 the .2 headlight was introduced on the turbo only, I found that a bit peculiar for the longest time...
So in my Dundon 996 3.8 I decided to put in Turbo radiators which were 50% larger than the stock C2 radiators. Seemed like a drop in replacement. However, we quickly found that it didn't fit because of the headlights. Our initial assessment was that I needed to go with .2 headlights and GT3 bumper. I was not keen on this because I like the softer lines of the .1 Aero bumper than the GT3 bumper plus I liked the headlights. So I asked Charles Dundon if there was anyway we can make the .1 setup work. The challenge was on. Here is what was done:
  1. We had to eliminate headlight washers for litronics....never used them anyway.
  2. the exchanger bracket had to be changed with some chopping and rewelding to change the angle of the exchanger so it would go under the headlight.
  3. With the new angle of exchanger there was additional tire interference and the suspension had to be modified some (Including new LCAs).
So the down side of all of this was I no longer had the sprayers (if anyone wants to add this to their car, I have all the parts that I will never use) and there is a slight bow on the sides the bumpers which you would never notice unless you knew what you were looking for.

So the bottom line what I learned from this is I think Porsche came up with the design of the .2 headlight to accommodate the larger heatexchanger/radiator for turbo variants. I believe the response from the market convinced them to use on the 996.2 because of the positive response it got on the turbo headlights and thus introduced them in 2002 on non turbo variants. SO the driver for the design was function and not aesthetics.
Old 05-20-2018, 11:03 AM
Atrox
Drifting

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

I prefer the mk2 over the 997, but I’m biased!

Old 05-20-2018, 12:43 PM
peterp
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by cds72911
People love what they own, so seeing a 996.1 predisposition isn’t surprising. Not much statistical validity to this poll.
Given the 996.1 and 996.2 sell for basically the same price, I think most people buy the model they prefer rather than buy the one they don't like and then for vote for it because they now own it. There are enough cars at similar prices that there is no reason to buy a .2 if you prefer .1, or vice versa. So I think the poll is fairly valid, though some of what you're saying definitely does occur. The .2's are still winning (52% to 40%), it's just interesting that the .1's started to gain ground after pictures were posted.

Neither headlight style bothers me at all, in fact I actually like them. I hated them when they first came out because it was such a radical departure. Today, though, I feel like the 996 is a modern car and the headlights are more appropriate for a modern style car than the earlier styles would have been.

Last edited by peterp; 05-20-2018 at 02:14 PM.
Old 05-20-2018, 06:34 PM
dyerhaus
Advanced

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

When I was searching for my 996, I specifically looked for the first generation 996 due to the headlights. I owned a Boxster prior, so maybe that’s colored my opinion a bit? The 996.2 headlights look to me like Porsche didn’t know how to handle the backlash they got from the “fried egg” look, so they tried to fix it with the 996.2. However, what they ended up with really ruined the minimalistic design aesthetic they were originally going for when designing the 996. The “clean lines” of the front end were now gone, and we’re left with an awkwardly shaped, sort-of-trying-to-be round headlight with a strange “tab” on one side. That being said, I like both headlights, but I definitely have a preference for the 996.1 generation. Just because I like one more than the other, doesn’t mean I don’t like the other one at all. It’s just a preference. I also think the 996.1 has aged better, but that’s just my opinion.

SaveSave
Old 05-20-2018, 10:39 PM
MattG911
Advanced

Received 38 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by dyerhaus
When I was searching for my 996, I specifically looked for the first generation 996 due to the headlights. I owned a Boxster prior, so maybe that’s colored my opinion a bit? The 996.2 headlights look to me like Porsche didn’t know how to handle the backlash they got from the “fried egg” look, so they tried to fix it with the 996.2. However, what they ended up with really ruined the minimalistic design aesthetic they were originally going for when designing the 996. The “clean lines” of the front end were now gone, and we’re left with an awkwardly shaped, sort-of-trying-to-be round headlight with a strange “tab” on one side. That being said, I like both headlights, but I definitely have a preference for the 996.1 generation. Just because I like one more than the other, doesn’t mean I don’t like the other one at all. It’s just a preference. I also think the 996.1 has aged better, but that’s just my opinion. SaveSave

That's interesting, I had a 2000 Boxster S with the gen 1 headlights (non-litronic) and I didnt like them very much at all. But I think the 996.2 version are just fine. Maybe I would have liked the litronic version better if I would have had those.

Originally my boxster had a set of the LED drop in replacements that you can find all over Ebay, but as many have experience the blinkers go out after a couple years and you are left with an annoying repair just to try and fix them. The car also came with a stock set of headlights but they were old looking and very yellow on the inside. Overall just in bad condition so I ordered a second pair off of Ebay from a salvaged car that only had 50k miles. These headlights were in much better condition but you could see a bit of yellow in the bulb area where they were starting to age a bit. The other thing I didn't like about them were the removable corner trim pieces, to me it just detracts from a full seamless look that the gen 2 provides. Also the edges around the gen 2 seem to fit a bit better against the hood and bumper compared to the gen 1. At least on my Boxster there was a noticeable difference in how they fit compared to my gen 2 911, which looks very clean and snug.

On my C4S, these gen 2 headlamps have 53k miles on them and they still look brand new. Granted if a car is always garage kept it will be in much better shape overall, but from what I have experienced the gen 2 seem to be an improvement over what I had before, and I think they age better and definitely look more modern IMO.

Truly a difference of opinion and personal preference.

Old 05-21-2018, 12:12 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

.2 fan here (biased) however the .1 get better and better looking as time goes by and is a great point of difference between the years.

IMO when I see the .1s I think its now on the cusp of cementing itself as a classic (if its not already there) and reminds me of the curvier softer 993 style - for some reason. Whilst the .2 looks more aggressive and still looks somewhat modern - time will turn it into a classic, that shapes not there yet.

.2 Bottom curve reminds me of these:
Old 05-21-2018, 03:16 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I wanted an mk2 for the Carrera II wheels & wide open view of the brakes. The headlights suit both makes well in my view... the bigger deal for me is suspension setup. A good ride height and properly spaced mk1 or mk2 is going to blow away a base model of the other generation.

The soft lines on the mk1 have aged very well, though. Truly beautiful cars when configured intelligently.

Quick Reply: Poll: Which 996 headlight style do you prefer (996.1 or 996.2)?