Sponsored by:

997 Shifter in 996 Impressions

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2019, 09:56 AM
Ratchet1025
Rennlist Member

Received 225 Likes on 138 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
In my case, it wasn't the shift throw so much as the mushy/rubbery feel and gear engagement. The 997 shiftter and the B&M ssk were incrementally "better" (more positive gear engagement) than the stock 996 shifter but still had their shortcomings (very stiff feel especially when cold - once the tranny was warmed up shifting was actually very nice). The Numeric shifter (and cables) are in another league entirely - cold or warm. I've also got new motor mounts and the FF trans mount insert (done way before the Numeric). * I initially installed the Numeric shifter with the stock cables, and it was still MUCH better than the other shifters. The cables made it a little easier/smoother than the stock cables as they're a larger/heavier cable (not sure of the exact size difference but they are substantially larger). Good luck with your testing...
Excellent info and thanks for sharing. Really wish we could get all options together for a driving test. If we can do it in Michigan, the beer is on me!
Old 01-15-2019, 11:27 AM
hatchetf15
Rennlist Member

Received 959 Likes on 598 Posts

One thing I personally notice is the top of the shifter matters a lot. My old rubber-sleeved OEM topper was flexing too much. Along with the throw of OEM mechanism, I disliked the whole setup. I put a 997 SSK on (keeping stock cables) and still experienced too much slop. After I installed an aftermarket topper I liked, the whole shifting package was a great deal better. I was no longer missing quick 2 to 3 upshifts. For me, a Numeric might be an option later on down the road, if my driving skills and performance needs get to a level I can benefit from a full competition-like rig, vis-a-vis the cost and NVH trade off. Bottom line: Don’t forget where the hand sits at the top of the lever.
Old 01-15-2019, 12:58 PM
JoeyCapranica
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

In my case, it wasn't the shift throw so much as the mushy/rubbery feel and gear engagement.
I am of the same mind: the throw is just fine, it’s the lack of precision that’s bothersome.

The 997 shiftter and the B&M ssk were incrementally "better" (more positive gear engagement) than the stock 996 shifter but still had their shortcomings (very stiff feel especially when cold - once the tranny was warmed up shifting was actually very nice). The Numeric shifter (and cables) are in another league entirely - cold or warm. I've also got new motor mounts and the FF trans mount insert (done way before the Numeric). * I initially installed the Numeric shifter with the stock cables, and it was still MUCH better than the other shifters. The cables made it a little easier/smoother than the stock cables as they're a larger/heavier cable (not sure of the exact size difference but they are substantially larger).
That’s the impression I’d been given from the other reports I’ve read/heard. It makes me feel a lot more confident in the idea of installing both the shifter and cables at the same time, since I’m ultimately going to do both anyway in all likelihood. It also makes me look forward to it even more!
Old 01-15-2019, 03:49 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

A brand new/unused B&M shifter popped up on CL for $150.00 and it's rare to see anything here in Hawaii like that.
So, my question is how many of you have the B&M (pro's/con's)? It sure looks well made...

Sorry for the side track.
Old 01-15-2019, 03:57 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill
A brand new/unused B&M shifter popped up on CL for $150.00 and it's rare to see anything here in Hawaii like that.
So, my question is how many of you have the B&M? It sure looks well made...

Sorry for the side track.
C4S has had one since 2003 they are very short. Also have the 997 gt3 shifter in my Turbo and it doesn't feel short at all. I am used to driving both prefer the B&M since it is shorter and it seems much more stiffer then the GT3 shifter.
Old 01-15-2019, 04:57 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

The B&M was good - better than stock 997...
Old 01-15-2019, 04:58 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by jumper5836
C4S has had one since 2003 they are very short. Also have the 997 gt3 shifter in my Turbo and it doesn't feel short at all. I am used to driving both prefer the B&M since it is shorter and it seems much more stiffer then the GT3 shifter.
[img=center]https://images.craigslist.org/00k0k_lSrSMY8byEM_600x450.jpg[/img]
Thanks Jumper. Does this look complete?
Old 01-15-2019, 05:58 PM
jumper5836
Nordschleife Master

Received 70 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by 808Bill

Thanks Jumper. Does this look complete?
Don't really know for sure it looks like it is but I am assuming there is sleeve in the blue piece.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:27 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 149 Likes on 123 Posts

Buying a B&M is throwing good money after bad. Yes, I had one and sold it to a rennlister for a song with full disclosure. They’re notchy and not any smoother. If you’re serious about improving the shifting, save your money and get something better. Function First if you’re already rocking a 997 shift assembly, or a Numeric if it’s in your budget.
Old 01-15-2019, 06:59 PM
sweet victory
Three Wheelin'

Received 203 Likes on 119 Posts

I had the B&M SSK when I purchased my 996. I've since upgraded to the Numeric Racing shifter and cables. It truly is a night and day difference. This shifter is great, but doesn't resolve the hang up on the gate going from 2nd into 3rd. Additionally, the cables add a ton of NVH. Since there are no dampers in the cables; think of it as the string between two cups. It transmits a lot of transmission noise.

That being said, I do like the improved shifting feeling. I drove a 2017 Manual Jetta for a week and then drove my car again. It was refreshing to actually feel what was happening in the car again. The numeric set up is the polar opposite of numb, and I would definitely say it isn't for everyone. The shifter alone is probably the best way to go. Only go with cables if your 996 is more of a toy for you or you don't mind additional NVH.
Old 01-15-2019, 09:06 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Thanks for the feedback. DD that will never see a track but I do have a nice twisty up and down (short) commute to and from work.
Old 01-16-2019, 12:28 PM
bull3t
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

I was debating between 997.2 GT3 shifter & the numeric about 6 months ago. I ended up going with the 997.2 GT3 after getting input from this thread

https://rennlist.com/forums/996-turb...ift-kit-2.html
Old 01-27-2019, 03:51 PM
Brentone
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just completed a swap of a 996 stock shifter for a stock 997. I will say that the shifts are more defined, mechanically speaking, and provide better tactile feedback. If shifts are shorter, they seem only modestly so. Like many others, I think if you find one of these used for a fair price, as I did, it represents a worthwhile improvement provided you can do the install yourself.

my 2 cents, ymmv.

cheers!
Old 01-27-2019, 04:15 PM
Steve Theodore
Rennlist Member

Received 605 Likes on 309 Posts

I've had the chance to drive my car a few more times since completing my swap to the 997 GT3 shifter and just have to say that I do still notice the differences in shifting compared to stock, which obviously my memory will gradually forget in time. It's a very pleasant and very OEM feeling, and I have less trouble slotting into first gear now from neutral at stop lights, something that did foil me a few times with the OEM 996 shifter occasionally. Overall it's a welcome improvement, and as I mentioned before I think the overall feel for me is more 'this is how the car should have been' as compared to a huge difference from stock. I doubt I'll change my shifter again though, as it feels 'just right' to me. Having owned setups in the past (other platforms) that were more aggressive, I know there is a tipping point where you can take things too far and ruin some of the pleasure of driving, and this shifter certainly doesn't do that.
Old 10-30-2020, 12:40 PM
krp220
Instructor

Received 23 Likes on 13 Posts

i recently installed the 997 shifter and **** in my 996 turbo. i've read tons of threads about the swap hoping it would solve my notchy, generally "$hitty" shifting but i feel that there has been only a 20% improvement. i noticed that the angle of the shifter is not 100% vertical and that it seems to lean to the right 10 degrees or so. it's more upright when it's in first gear

has anybody else experienced this? i had my shop do the install because i didn't feel like dealing with it at the time, and they used the alignment widget.

any feedback is appreciated!

Quick Reply: 997 Shifter in 996 Impressions