Sponsored by:

New shocks, a noticeable improvement

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2018, 09:06 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Default New shocks, a noticeable improvement

Just had the shocks replaced. I decided to stay close to stock so I went with the Bilstein, but not the original replacement. Only drove the car 15 miles so far but I notice a very different better drive. I changed because my shop had notes a leak from a rear one and being the car is 17 years old, it made sense to me to change all 4. I will report more as I drive more. I do not track the car but I drive spiritedly.
Old 04-20-2018, 09:49 AM
thebowl
Instructor

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Which Bilsteins did you use?
Old 04-20-2018, 09:51 AM
Esfoad
Racer

Sorry the invoice is at home. I’ll let you know later but I think they are the B-8.
Old 04-21-2018, 08:28 AM
Esfoad
Racer

I was wrong. B8 is for lowered springs and we went with B4 OE replacement shocks. I did not want to lower the vehicle so this choice made sense. Should be taking her for a drive today so I will report back on my opinions.
Old 04-21-2018, 09:36 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
I was wrong. B8 is for lowered springs and we went with B4 OE replacement shocks. I did not want to lower the vehicle so this choice made sense. Should be taking her for a drive today so I will report back on my opinions.
In hindsight the most surprising thing for me was that I didn’t realize that my original suspension was “bad”... because it was so much better than everything else I was driving at the time. It made some noises but generally still worked - no bouncing or anything like that...Once I changed it out it became obvious...
Old 04-21-2018, 12:18 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Originally Posted by dporto

In hindsight the most surprising thing for me was that I didn’t realize that my original suspension was “bad”... because it was so much better than everything else I was driving at the time. It made some noises but generally still worked - no bouncing or anything like that...Once I changed it out it became obvious...
Agreed. I’m sure that will pan out after I get used to the change. I can say the car rode somewhat smoother which I attribute to less bounce. Can’t wait to get out and try it again.
Old 04-21-2018, 02:09 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad

Agreed. I’m sure that will pan out after I get used to the change. I can say the car rode somewhat smoother which I attribute to less bounce. Can’t wait to get out and try it again.
How much did the shocks cost? I'm at 108k on mine and I suspect new ones would be noticeably better
Old 04-21-2018, 02:15 PM
Esfoad
Racer

My local shop charged me $3200 including repairing an oil leak at the bell housing and changing the brake fluid. These guys are all Porsche all the time and I trust them. I’m in NJ as well. Not sure if that matters. Took 2 days to complete the job. Oil leak turned out to be the rear engine seal.
Old 04-21-2018, 03:49 PM
Tyler H
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dropoff and pickup in 2 days for an RMS and suspension replacement is great. Enjoy!
Old 04-21-2018, 04:29 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Yes they are always great and it’s such a pleasure talking to “car folks” who tell you when things need doing and things can wait.

Quick Reply: New shocks, a noticeable improvement