Sponsored by:

Buying an '02 C4S, PPI discovered oil leak/seepage

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 09:28 PM
dmang
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Buying an '02 C4S, PPI discovered oil leak/seepage

Hi guys/gals! I'm in process of buying an 02 C4S (~59k miles) and PPI, done at a Porsche dealership, discovered "front/rear main" oil leakage/seepage. They mentioned that it is minor and should keep an eye on it. The car already has IMS retrofit done (LN) so I was surprised to see this. The service adviser said that they have seen cars that are stored during the winter seep some oil during spring start ups. The picture below shows rear leak circled in Yellow, but I don't have a picture of the front.

Last oil change was done about 1k miles ago (last Spring), oil separator was also replaced due to an oil leak last summer.

What do you guys think - pass or proceed? I think the price is fair ($31k) given the condition of the car but do worry about this oil thing...

Old 04-19-2018, 10:39 PM
Agent Jester
Pro

Received 13 Likes on 8 Posts

Not a deal breaker. And that's a pretty good price for having IMS and AOS taken care of. PPI find anything else? What's the color combo on it?
Old 04-19-2018, 11:03 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 141 Likes on 124 Posts

As mentioned, RMS not a deal breaker.

Not sure where the other leak circled in red is coming from??
Old 04-20-2018, 02:05 AM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'd rather buy good maintenance and a manageable leak then sketchy maint history & no oil leaks.
Old 04-20-2018, 02:19 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
I'd rather buy good maintenance and a manageable leak then sketchy maint history & no oil leaks.
well said
Old 04-20-2018, 03:33 AM
dmang
Track Day

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
Not a deal breaker. And that's a pretty good price for having IMS and AOS taken care of. PPI find anything else? What's the color combo on it?
Everything else was relatively minor. It has been tracked before. Silver W black interior. IIRC, there were lvl 1 and 3 over revs... I will double check this.
Old 04-20-2018, 03:35 AM
dmang
Track Day

Originally Posted by dan_189
As mentioned, RMS not a deal breaker.

Not sure where the other leak circled in red is coming from??
Thanks. I just circled the red thing thinking perhaps that's where the front main leak is? Reading around, RMS appears to be ~1,200 fix and should be done when it's time to do the clutch. Clutch was previously replaced at 30k.... Just jolt sure about the front main seal.

Was just concerned that I would have to dump a couple of grand right as I buy it....
Old 04-20-2018, 03:48 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by dmang
Everything else was relatively minor. It has been tracked before. Silver W black interior. IIRC, there were lvl 1 and 3 over revs... I will double check this.
Only range one or range two one these cars:

Range one - hit limiter (not a big deal)
Range two - mechanical over rev (miss shift) if over 120 hours ago usually in the clear <120 hours ago in danger.

​​​​​
Thanks. I just circled the red thing thinking perhaps that's where the front main leak is? Reading around, RMS appears to be ~1,200 fix and should be done when it's time to do the clutch. Clutch was previously replaced at 30k.... Just jolt sure about the front main seal.

Was just concerned that I would have to dump a couple of grand right as I buy it....
A likely possibility, with mine I needed: New water pump, new clutch, IMS, suspension parts, coolant tank... that just names a things the list goes on, its unavoidable that you wont need to spend money on whatever 996 you buy...

+996 on maintenance records, although part of me questions why the owner has left these issues (RMS not so much).
Old 04-20-2018, 03:57 AM
dmang
Track Day

Just checked, range 1 is 1,824 hrs. Range 2 is 271 hrs .
IMS was fixed and it has decent service history - documents from the last owner are available and carfax had some details as well.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:12 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Just checked, range 1 is 1,824 hrs. Range 2 is 271 hrs .
IMS was fixed and it has decent service history - documents from the last owner are available and carfax had some details as well.
Seems okay, keep doing your due diligence until your comfortable this is the one, private seller or dealer?
​​​​​

Last edited by dan_189; 04-20-2018 at 04:33 AM.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:28 AM
Agent Jester
Pro

Just don't drive yourself crazy "digging". Expect to pay a few bucks making things right when you find yours. This one seems to check a lot of good boxes. I went forward with mine knowing a heck of a lot less.
Old 04-20-2018, 04:31 AM
dan_189
Race Car

Originally Posted by Agent Jester
Just don't drive yourself crazy "digging". Expect to pay a few bucks making things right when you find yours. This one seems to check a lot of good boxes. I went forward with mine knowing a heck of a lot less.
Let's change "digging" to do your due diligence/homework, car fax, ppi which you've already done etc.
​​​Car does sound like it's decent
Old 04-20-2018, 09:38 AM
ejdoherty911
Three Wheelin'

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Evidence of a minor oil leak would not stop me from buying a 996, especially when you consider the car is 16 years old. Once you acquire your 996 and start reading these forums that minor oil leak will be long forgotten, for you will discover so many more wonderful things to worry about. In addition to the purchase price, please have at least $5,000 in cash ready to put into your purchase. No one ever thinks they will need that much, but I consider that the minimum reserve fund for these toys.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:38 PM
tomcat
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That engine was leaking oil for a while. You are seeing seepage after someone cleaned the bottom of the engine. My guess from the picture is the oil pump from above, where the case is joined, or front seal in the red circle.

And someone used a regular hose clamp on the thermostat hose and really clamped down on it. I would be concerned about who was working on the car.

I wouldn't pay $31k. Buying a roller for $5,000 with a fully rebuilt $25k engine is a much better deal.
Old 04-20-2018, 12:52 PM
dmang
Track Day

Originally Posted by tomcat
That engine was leaking oil for a while. You are seeing seepage after someone cleaned the bottom of the engine. My guess from the picture is the oil pump from above, where the case is joined, or front seal in the red circle.

And someone used a regular hose clamp on the thermostat hose and really clamped down on it. I would be concerned about who was working on the car.

I wouldn't pay $31k. Buying a roller for $5,000 with a fully rebuilt $25k engine is a much better deal.
Thanks for your input. Last year, work was done at a porsche dealership but not sure if someone else has touched it since. And looking at receipts, it has been in the dealership at least once a month during last summer - to me that is not a good sign.

I am kinda leaning towards passing on this as @ 31k + potential for more down the road and it is touching a 997 territory. Would prefer not to deal with headaches right off the bat...

Quick Reply: Buying an '02 C4S, PPI discovered oil leak/seepage