Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Help! 996 Carrera has crank and no start.

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-2018, 05:33 PM
Chris(MA)
Burning Brakes

Received 151 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by PorscheTX928
So while checking wiring for rodent damage and loose connections, I came across a weak point in the 996's cooling system. See attached pics...while wiggling hoses, this hose connection
finished snapping off and coolant began flowing! After some searching I found that this part is very prone to failure (catostrophic) as was explained in AutoAtlanta. They have a replacement part
that uses aluminum connections instead of cheap plastic. I just thought I would post so that others could check their own connector - it could save you some frustration later. For now, I have to wait
to start on the original problem until I can get the repl connector back in place and the coolant topped off.

Someone mentioned a 30 dollar ignition part that could be the problem. Can I get the part number? I may as well replace it if it is prone to failure, and would this part cause the fuse to blow? I am thinking that this could be the cause as I have changed the fuse a couple of times, and the car does start, but only for a second, before the fuse pops...

Part with broken nips on both top and bottom, right hand side of part. REPL part is 6 bucks, I went with the upgraded part at 18 bucks.

This is pic of the two hoses the part connects, you can see the broken nipple left in the bottom piece, top looks the same!

Part # is 996.106.226.51....the upgraded aluminum nippled part is T99610622652

This is the upgraded part - T99610622652 .
A guy I work with just went on some kind of plastics training course and gave a presentation on this very thing, apparently nylon is a condensation reaction that emits water as it is made, its reversible so water can go back in to alter the plastic back. Apparently vendors put an ingredient in to stop it, but it gets used up with time. Once you are out of the stuff the nylon fails.

Planned obsolescence is a wonderful thing huh??

We've all broken that piece, I drill mine out and glued in a brass connector to replace it.

Quick Reply: Help! 996 Carrera has crank and no start.