Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Current cost: IMS Solution Install - West?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2018, 02:01 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I was quoted about ~$4,000 by a certified shop in central CO in 2016, ended up paying about $6,500. Throwout bearing, AOS, some fasteners, IMSS, prequalification, etc. My car had some things that needed to be refreshed so the engine came out.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:20 PM
Esfoad
Racer

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

When I bought my car in 2016 I was unaware of the IMS bearing "issue". My bad because I never checked, I just wanted the car. Once I realized I was driving a potential risk, low mileage (36K miles) and a single row bearing, I did my research and finally decided on the LN ceramic retrofit. Had installed by a local Porsche specialty shop here in NJ. Cost was $2500. They verified my AOS and my clutch and said don't do those yet. 2 years and 10K miles later, I am rolling strong. Clutch feels great and I am satisfied that for the next 4 years I am OK. Wish I had the cash to do the "solution" but I figure that if I replace this retrofit at 6 years and get another 6 years I am about equal in cost and by then a clutch will most likely be needed. Works for me, but each to their own. Lastly, I do not track my car. Your decision might change if that is your future.
Old 08-08-2018, 03:45 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by yelcab
I just did one for neighbor while he had other problems solved (CEL 1341). But if all you want is an L&N bearing solution done, I can see it being in the $2,000 range. The parts are getting damn expensive, and while you are in there, there is a lot of incentive to change the clutch, PP, RMS, pilot bearing, slave bearing and etc. Tipt will cost a bit more because it is harder to drop that box.

What the hell is an LN certified Installer?
It's a list of company's that have been approved by Flat6 for installation of the Solution. I believe it carries a warranty on the engine.

http://theimssolution.com/certified-installers/
Old 08-08-2018, 03:46 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by Wangta
$4k? HMmmmm, I just got a quote from a preferred installer. I was prepared for $5k (for some reason, I had $3k for bearing install and $5k for Solutions install), but....the quote for my '01 S came in at $8K ($7,950 to be exact). And that's just for the IMS solutions install - does not cover RMS, tranny seal, rear engine case bolts, etc. Have prices gone up dramatically in the last year? Was I totally crazy for thinking $5 was ballpark? The aggregate quote for the IMS Solution, RMS, and engine chain tensioners is over $10k. Can someone give me a sanity check here? I also pinged a couple other preferred installers just for a point of comparison.
Id stay away from that shop and if they are an installer I would think twice to even have them on the list just for the basics....Theres some shops like that in "Scottsdale" that I stay away...
Old 08-08-2018, 04:13 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

I just did one for neighbor while he had other problems solved (CEL 1341). But if all you want is an L&N bearing solution done, I can see it being in the $2,000 range. The parts are getting damn expensive, and while you are in there, there is a lot of incentive to change the clutch, PP, RMS, pilot bearing, slave bearing and etc. Tipt will cost a bit more because it is harder to drop that box.

What the hell is an LN certified Installer?
^^^ Nah... The part alone (The Solution) from LNE is $1700.00. Anyone who who do the requisite labor for $300.00 you should RUN AWAY from... If you have any mechanical ability, space and some patience, I would highly recommend DIY'ing it. If not (once again...) $4k is a good starting #... any extras will cause the number to rise according to cost of parts+labor (the only labor you're going to save on is the removal and re-installation of the engine and transmission - which happens to be the biggest, most involved part of the job - not difficult, just labor intensive - this is why so many folks decide to do clutch, flywheel, AOS, etc. while the engine and tranny are out)
Old 08-08-2018, 04:20 PM
Esfoad
Racer

No one has mentioned that if the Solution is to be warranted, your engine must pass a rigorous test procedure to make sure it qualifies for a Solution install. This is one of the reasons that the Solution is so expensive but the best fix for the IMS. Makes our engines like the famous Mezger engine. If the shop does not do this test procedure then don't waste your money on the Solution. The inventor of the Solution is Jake Raby of Flat 6 Innovations in Georgia. His shop is renowned. He can point you to a certified installer or he can do the work but be prepared to wait.
Old 08-08-2018, 04:27 PM
Wangta
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
No one has mentioned that if the Solution is to be warranted, your engine must pass a rigorous test procedure to make sure it qualifies for a Solution install. This is one of the reasons that the Solution is so expensive but the best fix for the IMS. Makes our engines like the famous Mezger engine. If the shop does not do this test procedure then don't waste your money on the Solution. The inventor of the Solution is Jake Raby of Flat 6 Innovations in Georgia. His shop is renowned. He can point you to a certified installer or he can do the work but be prepared to wait.
Jake no longer does this as a service - unless you want to ship him your engine. A couple years ago he shifted his focus to engine building - I actually emailed Jake first and was planning to ship my car out to his shop. Still might be cheaper to rip out my engine and ship it to Jake than the $10k i was given!
Old 08-08-2018, 04:36 PM
Esfoad
Racer

That's too bad. I spoke with him a few times 2 years ago and he is passionate about these cars and the validity of the install. Was the installer a certified one who gave you that quote? I had dealt with a certified installer in PA and their quote was more like $6K than the $10K you were quoted. And that included a new clutch.
Old 08-08-2018, 05:22 PM
jhbrennan
Rennlist Member

Received 81 Likes on 73 Posts

Originally Posted by Esfoad
That's too bad. I spoke with him a few times 2 years ago and he is passionate about these cars and the validity of the install. Was the installer a certified one who gave you that quote? I had dealt with a certified installer in PA and their quote was more like $6K than the $10K you were quoted. And that included a new clutch.
Ask for the details of their estimate - parts and labor. I used "certified" installer in DFW area (only certified installer in Texas) - did IMS Solution, AOS, RMS, and clutch - parts + 13 hours of labor totaled about $4,500
Old 08-08-2018, 05:58 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Received 645 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by dporto
^^^ Nah... The part alone (The Solution) from LNE is $1700.00. Anyone who who do the requisite labor for $300.00 you should RUN AWAY from... If you have any mechanical ability, space and some patience, I would highly recommend DIY'ing it. If not (once again...) $4k is a good starting #... any extras will cause the number to rise according to cost of parts+labor (the only labor you're going to save on is the removal and re-installation of the engine and transmission - which happens to be the biggest, most involved part of the job - not difficult, just labor intensive - this is why so many folks decide to do clutch, flywheel, AOS, etc. while the engine and tranny are out)
So, I don't know what "The Solution" is then. The LNE retrofit is a ceramic bearing and a cover plate for $800. What is "The Solution" for $1700?
Old 08-08-2018, 06:12 PM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

So I just read up and watched the $1700 solution and how it is installed. One sleek solution ! Pricey but for the discerning owner who does not worry about costs. And the installation does not look like rocket science. The marketing of "certified installer' is one sleek trick. Nice job.
The following users liked this post:
911Dreamer (02-14-2024)
Old 08-08-2018, 06:16 PM
911Dreamer
Racer

Received 61 Likes on 43 Posts

So I just read up and watched the $1700 solution and how it is installed. One sleek solution ! Pricey but for the discerning owner who does not worry about costs. And the installation does not look like rocket science. The marketing of "certified installer' is one sleek trick. Nice job.

Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

The "qualification" procedure to install any LNE bearing is the same. It is NOT rocket science, and the "certified installer" program is not a "trick". It's a way for LNE to exercise some level of control over the use of their parts/products. They're training these people (installers) to do the job properly and to "qualify" engines before doing the job so the parts themselves aren't questioned after a post retrofit failure (due to debris laden oil or other potential problems). It's not a perfect but I suppose it does offer some level of confidence that the job was done to a certain standard. I installed "The Solution" myself, so I did my own "qualification"... There is no warrantee on a DIY, so it's really just a case of "I know what I know" about my installation. I also did a bunch of other stuff while I was in there so I'm confident that it was a clean/proper installation (no debris in the oil, and the previous LN classic dual row bearing was in good shape). Good luck
Old 08-09-2018, 11:44 AM
yelcab
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by dporto
.... I installed "The Solution" myself, so I did my own "qualification"... ...
Then you are living proof that no "certification" is required to properly and competently install The Solution. I know of at least 50 people on Pelican that can competently do the same thing, without any certification.

911Dreamer (02-14-2024)
Old 08-09-2018, 12:39 PM
808Bill
Rennlist Member

Received 806 Likes on 544 Posts

Originally Posted by Wangta
It's a list of company's that have been approved by Flat6 for installation of the Solution. I believe it carries a warranty on the engine.

http://theimssolution.com/certified-installers/
The "Solution" is warrantied, not the engine.
MadIrish (05-24-2022)

Quick Reply: Current cost: IMS Solution Install - West?