Sponsored by:

Engine Mount Installation

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2018, 11:40 PM
PacNW3
Advanced

Received 11 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Engine Mount Installation

i installed some Wevo semi-solids this evening, & one side has more thread sticking out below the the nut than the other. Is this normal? They’re both tight, & I ran it for a few miles with no issues. I checked to see if I could tighten it up after the drive, & it didn’t budge. The passenger side has less threads exposed, & the exhaust tip is marginally lower on that side (makes sense), but it’s also possible that the tips just need a touch of adjustment.

I guess I’m asking if the cradle is maybe thicker on one side or something else that would cause the number of exposed threads to be off by about 4-5 threads.

Thanks in advance.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:52 PM
Dryslick13
Racer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did you double check that the square piece was seated onto the cradle? Stud Should hang down the same amount on both sides. I just replaced mine with Rennline mounts and they look equal on both sides.
Old 03-03-2018, 11:53 PM
PacNW3
Advanced

Thanks! I’ll double check that.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:25 AM
Slakker
Rennlist Member

Received 240 Likes on 108 Posts

Definitely the square piece. They can be a pain to get just right. I messed with one for almost 30 minutes a few weeks ago before I finally used a floor jack(car was on lift) to raise the engine/bracket until the bracket was flush with the mount hole. The mount then dropped right in and tightened right up.
Old 03-04-2018, 12:27 AM
PacNW3
Advanced

I appreciate the quick replies. Once I’m done watching supercross on TV, I’ll get the wrenches out again. 😊
Old 03-04-2018, 12:47 AM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,370 Likes on 793 Posts

Wevos dont have the square insert as they use a free through bolt.

Are u sure the bolts are the same length? As far as i remember, there is no reason the sides should be different in terms of affecting thread length
Old 03-04-2018, 01:29 AM
PacNW3
Advanced

Problem solved! Yes, there is a square piece that needs to align with the cradle. Good news is that you can rotate that piece. After rotating it about 1/8 turn, it lined up with the cradle, & everything worked out.

If anyone runs into this in the future: there are 7 visible threads below the nut on both sides (One is barely visible). You can actually get a really nice vantage point without going under the car by looking between the exhaust tip & bumper. To align the square piece & the cradle, you probably want to jack the motor up until the cradle is touching the body (right as you can see the fenders staring to raise). That will allow you to ensure the square is aligned positively. Finger tighten the bolts through the top of the mount, tighten the nut in the bottom, lower the engine, & finally tighten the bolts that hold the mount to the car.

Looking forward to seeing if I can tell the difference in mounts tomorrow.

Thanks a ton, again, for the quick replies.
Old 03-05-2018, 10:38 PM
dan_189
Race Car

Received 127 Likes on 112 Posts

Let us know your thoughts, JR was against semi-solid engine mounts because he said (from memory) they could trip the knock sensors and retard timing and subsequently performance.

Although I don't think he ever said any more about it.

Quick Reply: Engine Mount Installation