Sponsored by:

Camshaft tool kit and chain guide questions

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2018, 09:48 AM
Hybridiia
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Camshaft tool kit and chain guide questions

Hello all – I just dropped the engine in my wife’s 2000 996 for some winter maintenance. We bought the car recently with an unknown history and it now has around 88K miles.It currently runs perfectly and the only issues I see is a slight drip of oil from the RMS/IMS area and the cam deviations are around 7 for both banks. This cam deviation has been consistent for the 4K miles that she has driven it thus far and throws no codes. The sump was clean with no metal as was the filter.Only small specks of plastic could be found in either. Due to the unknown history, I am planning on replacing the IMS/RMS/AOS/waterpump and vario cam pads (this is a 5 chain engine).My questions are:
  1. Can any of the other timing chain guides be replaced without pulling the heads? I’ve read that the paddle one needs the cases to be split but I could not find a definitive answer on the others.
  2. I am planning on installing the LN Solution and have already purchased the Pro tool kit and supplemental tool kit. However, I believe I will also need cam timing tools since I will be changing the vario cam pads and pulling off the adjustable/slotted sprocket. Any advice on which tools I will need? Has anyone tried either of these ebay kits? I would like to keep costs down if at all possible.
    https://www.ebay.com/itm/Porsche-911...QAAOSwjRpZRKMR
https://www.ebay.com/itm/263454547436?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Last edited by Hybridiia; 02-20-2018 at 01:42 PM.
Old 02-20-2018, 10:24 AM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,169 Likes on 797 Posts

I bought and used the first Ebay kit you show (blue box). The only caveat was that the cam timing tool was put together backwards so it didn't work as shipped. Once I flipped the end around it was ok. There's a cam timing thread on the board by member : Dharn that mentioned that he had this problem with the tool he bought. When mine wasn't working, I remembered that he had mentioned that his tool needed to be reconfigured so it would work - turned out mine was the same. Seems it might be the rule for for the kit from this particular manufacturer... good luck
Old 02-20-2018, 01:50 PM
Hybridiia
Intermediate

dporto - thanks for the feed back. I went ahead and purchased the blue case version. Good to know it worked and will remember to check if the timing tool is backwards.
Old 02-21-2018, 07:33 PM
Hybridiia
Intermediate

Has anyone tried to replace the timing chain guides without pulling the heads? I'm going to be placing a parts order soon and wondering if I should include these. Thanks.

Quick Reply: Camshaft tool kit and chain guide questions