Notices
996 Forum 1999-2005
Sponsored by:

Do I have the highest mileage 2002 911 in the world?

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2003, 12:07 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by riad
If you really turn over cars that quickly, as I do, then you may want to consider leasing...

I actually went into the dealer to consider a lease. I knew I did not want to be locked into the car for a 48 month or 60 month term that I knew I could not finish, so I asked about 36 months. The 36 month lease payment was about the same as my payment for financing the car over 72 months.

The real lease killer was that I had to put 10K down to get that payment. I was not about to put 10K down on a lease!! That's just literally throwing money away. The most I have ever put down to lease a car is $2500 total drive off.

I got financing through my credit union @ 4.5%, so interest really is not that bad. The lease factor quoted by the dealer at the time was equivalent to 7.5% interest, which was another reason I chose to finance.

Old 12-24-2003, 12:35 PM
Riad
Chandler!
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally posted by Trojan Man
I actually went into the dealer to consider a lease. I knew I did not want to be locked into the car for a 48 month or 60 month term that I knew I could not finish, so I asked about 36 months. The 36 month lease payment was about the same as my payment for financing the car over 72 months.

The real lease killer was that I had to put 10K down to get that payment. I was not about to put 10K down on a lease!! That's just literally throwing money away. The most I have ever put down to lease a car is $2500 total drive off.

I got financing through my credit union @ 4.5%, so interest really is not that bad. The lease factor quoted by the dealer at the time was equivalent to 7.5% interest, which was another reason I chose to finance.

In this case I may have purchased too... that's a good interest rate. I never put anything down on a lease so you are right about that. However, you need to see when all is said and done how much your car will depreciate when you sell it. Then calculate what your total cash outlay was and compare that to what the lease payments would have been... this may help you decide what to do next.

For me it almost always pays for me to lease because I go through cars so quickly, I know I'm not going to have a car more than 3 - 4 years at most.

Our last car was a Lexus RX-330 we just purchased last month. We bought this car because we plan on having it for years, and this is important, we know the Lexus is build so solid. Unfortunately I don't feel that way about the Porsche, I would be more than a little concerned owning a 911 for six or seven years putting 15/miles a year and not getting killed on the upkeep. Driving a Porsche out of warranty is a scary thought.... JMTC.

Rob

Quick Reply: Do I have the highest mileage 2002 911 in the world?