Sponsored by:

Perspective needed!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2003 | 01:28 AM
PogueMoHone
Addict
Rennlist Member

Default Perspective needed!

My wife got creamed in the Cayenne tonight going through an intersection, she is OK and so is other guy. The cops are unable to determine who's at fault. For what it's worth, she says the Cayenne is really solid.

Now, I have to deal with the Insurance Company, the damage is along the passenger side, front wheel, driver and passenger door (looks nassty). At first glance I guess about $20-$30K. The TT is 5 months old with 3K miles, so should I have them fix it or trade it in to the dealer and have them pay for the reduction in value after normal depreciation and get a new vehicle.

This is my first ever US Insurance claim in 30 years of driving.
Old 12-22-2003 | 05:05 AM
trz
5th Gear

Colm,
So sorry to hear about your wife's misfortune. Glad she is okay. With respect to the TT, I would personally prefer to get a new one, even if it was not the most financially expedient choice.
trz
Old 12-22-2003 | 08:28 AM
Bentley
Banned

The fortunate thing is that your wife is physically O.K.
As for your vehicle, it should be noted that a severe crash not only damages the vehicle body but also damages the engine and drive train. The shock to all of the mechanicals, which are machined and assembled to TIGHT TOLERANCES, can be loosened and moved MINUTELY by such directed force. Just minute [0001"] movement of the components in an assembly can cause induced early mechanical wear. As such, your parting with the vehicle will be LONG TERM your best action.
Old 12-22-2003 | 09:40 AM
rdstemler
Burning Brakes

Judy just got rear ended (not by me) in the truck. Had about $5500 in damage on a 2002 Silverado. Got the estimate to repair then went to the dealer.
Got a great end of year (read make quota) deal on a 2004. He said the thing to do was trade it with the damage not fixed, and give the dealer the repair check and some small amount of money.

His reasoning was 1) they can get their people to fix it for less $$$ then you, 2) his appraiser can see what really happanned, 3) he knows the wholesaler!

A wrecked vehicle will never be the same.

Good Luck!
Old 12-22-2003 | 10:13 AM
01 C4 Cab NYC
Burning Brakes

Glad to hear the wife is OK...

Get rid of if...trade it in to the dealer...whatever, just don't keep it
I was in a really bad accident in an XK8 convertible, the car incurred $38k worth of damage, the insurance co would not total the car, they insisted on fixing it. The car has never been the same...and the dealer (even tho they fixed it) will not touch it on a trade in. Don't make the same mistake...
Old 12-22-2003 | 11:34 AM
path
Instructor

Sorry about the accident, happy to hear that everyone's okay. I agree with everyone who's replied to date. If you have the financial means get rid of the damaged TT and get a new one. With an accident of that magnitude I would venture a guess that there is some hidden damage that will manifest itself later in time. Also, remember this is first year for the Cayenne and I bet service & body technicians don't have much experience with major repairs on that vehicle. I wouldn't want my car to be their on-the-job training tool.

As the saying goes "you can pay me now or pay me later". Pay now, you'll have much greater peace of mind. Best of luck and keep us informed. We wish you all the best.

Pat
Old 12-22-2003 | 01:15 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Glad everyone is ok... Can't add anything more to the suggestions except take pictures of everything you can, exterior, interior, and underneath. Depending on what you decide, you never know when you'll need them. Also if you wife has any bruises or whatever, make sure you take pics before they heal. Advice from "Paranoid Don"
Old 12-22-2003 | 11:32 PM
Speed
Pro

Don't assume that the cost of repair is that expensive. Three years ago a car wash ran my '99 cab into the back of an SUV, smashing the driver's side door and rear quarter panel. It was about $2,500 to fix. The body shop guy told me that the 996's are a lot less expensive to repair than the 993's because, for instance, he only had to order a new door shell not the entire door as on the older models.
Old 12-23-2003 | 01:09 AM
nova996
Rennlist Member

I'm glad your wife is OK. I agree with Speed, get the estimate first and work from there. But if the damage really is as significant as you think it is, start looking through that order guide again!
Old 01-02-2004 | 11:49 AM
Charlie C
Porsche Nut
Rennlist Member

Glad your wife is ok. As far as the Cayenne, I'd trade it. I had a BMW "M Roadster" [during my inbetween Porsche days] that got hit by a Home Depot shopping carriage to the tune of $800 damage on the driver's door.

The $800 was no big deal but even after the repair, I could always see the imperfection. I think it's nearly impossible to make a perfect repair on a smooth curved suface like a Porsche.

Just my thoughts.

Again, at least your wife is ok, the vehicle can be replaced.

Quick Reply: Perspective needed!