Old 02-06-2018, 02:53 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Quadcammer
Actually, no. Im just not dumb
Aw, don't sell yourself short.

Cruising around at 3500 just wastes gas and makes you look like a tool. run the car at whatever gear is appropriate for the situation. sometimes thats 2000rpm, other times its 4500rpm. dont lug it (pretty hard to do in a 996) but no point zinging along at 3500rpm when you arent planning on accelerating either
Originally Posted by az968gpw
I have a Jack Raby Stage II engine and he advises not to run at 2,200 - 2,400 RPM - stress on the valve train components is highest there. It's a Tip so I have to pay a little more attention, manual mode probably used more that auto mode.

And I'd rather spend my money on upgrades and maintenance and fun driving opportunities than extra gas so I am also mindful of unnecessary revs.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:44 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Originally Posted by TonyTwoBags
Aw, don't sell yourself short.
Actually, even though you tried to be cute, 2000rpm is not between 2200 and 2400. nevertheless, there is no reason to be at 3500rpm while just cruising. none.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:57 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Snarky bunch in here. Generally, just be reasonable. My reputable indy gave me the following pointers:

1. Don't warm the car up in idle, take off right away and keep in under 3K when cold (I interpret as ~20 min)
2. When warm, don't shift under 4K (which probably means don't drop below 3) - even in stop and go traffic (i.e. keep in 1st)

I don't follow that last part so strictly. I generally just try to keep it above 3 when warm unless in stop and go traffic. That means sometimes driving at ~4 because speeds don't allow 3 in the next gear up. Canyons consistently at 4 - 6.5. Note, if you drive like this, your emissions readiness my may not clear if you've detached your battery at some point.
Old 02-06-2018, 03:57 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Drifting

Received 939 Likes on 566 Posts

nevertheless, there is no reason to be at 3500rpm while just cruising. none.
*ahem* Because racecar.

(And before you come at me, note that you never said GOOD reason!)
Old 02-06-2018, 04:09 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Dr_Strangelove
*ahem* Because racecar.

(And before you come at me, note that you never said GOOD reason!)
When you're knickers-deep in pedantry, such use of 'gray area' logic need not apply! I should say, good man, don't you realize this gentle man has three, ahem - I say threeee, Porsches? They shall sooner expire from bearing wear than suffer from low gas mileage! Harrumph

Old 02-06-2018, 04:29 PM
NYoutftr
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 246 Posts

Originally Posted by mrjonger
Snarky bunch in here. Generally, just be reasonable. My reputable indy gave me the following pointers:

1. Don't warm the car up in idle, take off right away and keep in under 3K when cold (I interpret as ~20 min)
2. When warm, don't shift under 4K (which probably means don't drop below 3) - even in stop and go traffic (i.e. keep in 1st)

I don't follow that last part so strictly. I generally just try to keep it above 3 when warm unless in stop and go traffic. That means sometimes driving at ~4 because speeds don't allow 3 in the next gear up. Canyons consistently at 4 - 6.5. Note, if you drive like this, your emissions readiness my may not clear if you've detached your battery at some point.
Sorry
I cannot agree with don't warm up car.
Disclaimer, that is generally speaking.
I guess if you live on the southwest, where 100 degree days are normal , I can see your point .
But in the Northeast, even during warmer months, mornings can be down in 40s.
So driving any car, without a warm up is not good for cold metal parts that have not expanded to normal, within operating temperature.
my 2 cents
Old 02-06-2018, 04:37 PM
Semitone
Pro

Received 122 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by NYoutftr
Sorry
I think "don't warm up the car", i.e. idle..is pretty standard advice nowadays. Car will warm up faster being driven at lower RPM's and...I believe...importantly it is better for the car (oil and cylinders) not to be dumping gas into a low rpm running engine. 3000 rpm is better than 850 rpm or whatever these cars idle.

Not an expert but that is my take.
Old 02-06-2018, 04:58 PM
Astro
Pro

Received 51 Likes on 29 Posts

I shift so smoothly that people think my 911 has a CVT or maybe it's the electric version 😜 Which dial is the one that tells you what your RPMs are again ?
Old 02-06-2018, 04:58 PM
cds72911
Drifting

Received 150 Likes on 124 Posts

Which RPMs do you drive in?

All of them.
Old 02-06-2018, 05:17 PM
Quadcammer
Race Director

Received 1,444 Likes on 836 Posts

Sorry
I guess if you live on the southwest, where 100 degree days are normal , I can see your point .
But in the Northeast, even during warmer months, mornings can be down in 40s.
So driving any car, without a warm up is not good for cold metal parts that have not expanded to normal, within operating temperature.
my 2 cents
sorry thats just plain wrong
Old 02-06-2018, 05:43 PM
TonyTwoBags
Three Wheelin'

sorry thats just plain wrong
I have to agree with Alexander Hamilton on this one.

The main issue with the warm-up is you douse the cylinders in fuel. Similar to leaky injectors, which is a major contributor to compromised cylinders in the m96, rinsing cylinder walls in unspent fuel is not the preferred approach. As fuel's a solvent, it can break down cylinder walls and contribute to things like scoring, d-chunk & ovalling. This is summarized from a recent PCA video, but it's a fairly common misconception that's been addressed formally on the forum. It's not an ego-petting match, it's just common sense. The safe way to warm up is to get out and drive reasonably until the car warms up.

Of course, once it's warmed up, I trust that you'll take exceptional care to maximize your fuel economy because that's why we drive 911s. For the fuel economy.

Sorry
I cannot agree with don't warm up car .
But in the Northeast, even during warmer months, mornings can be down in 40s .
my 2 cents
Old 02-06-2018, 05:55 PM
Astro
Pro

It was -13F here in MN this morning and the shifter hardly wants to shift because everything is so cold... i find it hard to believe that this is better for the car than allowing it to warm up a little.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:03 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
It was -13F here in MN this morning and the shifter hardly wants to shift because everything is so cold... i find it hard to believe that this is better for the car than allowing it to warm up a little.
Thirty to sixty seconds would be fine, but after that you are doing more bad than good. The cars are designed to be driven lightly when cold in order to warm up faster, not idled for warm up for reasons already mentioned.
Old 02-06-2018, 06:18 PM
Astro
Pro

Wow. Glad I didn't install a remote start like I have on my other vehicles.
Old 02-06-2018, 07:02 PM
az968gpw
Rennlist Member

Received 196 Likes on 132 Posts

Originally Posted by Astro
Wow. Glad I didn't install a remote start like I have on my other vehicles.
Don't need no remote start, that's why Porsche put the ignition key on the left side, you can start it while climbing in.

Quick Reply: What RPM Do You Drive At