Sponsored by:

German Perfection vs Italian Good Enough

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2018, 11:35 AM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default German Perfection vs Italian Good Enough

Just thought fellow 996 owners may find this interesting.

Here is the Fuel Door gap & alignment on my beautiful 996 Aero vs the Fuel Door Gap on my new-to-me Ferrari California.

And no, the Cali has never been in an accident. And yes, the 996 is the best bargain there is.

996 Fuel Door

996 MK1 Aero

Cali Fuel Door
Old 02-02-2018, 11:37 AM
Kris Murphy
Rennlist Member

Received 181 Likes on 113 Posts

Any chances of seeing some additional pics of the cali?
Old 02-02-2018, 12:17 PM
dporto
Rennlist Member

Received 1,154 Likes on 791 Posts

That's pretty lame on Ferrari's part ! Is there any adjustment available (slots on the hinges perhaps?) ? I find it hard to believe that a $200k+ car (that regularly sell used for $100k+) could have such shoddy body work...
Old 02-02-2018, 12:43 PM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Originally Posted by Kris Murphy
Any chances of seeing some additional pics of the cali?
sorry, I took this photo inside the original owner’s mansion, so out of respect for his privacy I blocked out most of his huge garage.
Old 02-02-2018, 12:46 PM
jllphan
Rennlist Member

Received 117 Likes on 63 Posts

Great post and thanks for sharing.... but something tells me when you hear that exhaust note at start up such annoyances fade 😁
Old 02-02-2018, 12:47 PM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Originally Posted by dporto
That's pretty lame on Ferrari's part ! Is there any adjustment available (slots on the hinges perhaps?) ? I find it hard to believe that a $200k+ car (that regularly sell used for $100k+) could have such shoddy body work...
i totally agree. It’s not good. Make me love the 996 even more. And the engine is in the right place too!!

here is my rather expensive solution.
Old 02-02-2018, 02:19 PM
Dr_Strangelove
Rennlist Member

Received 933 Likes on 565 Posts

My favorite Italian storefront sign said "Sometimes we open". Sums up the Italian attitude and lifestyle perfectly. I bet you they didn't skip steps on the V8. Congrats on the Ferrari, bucket list item crossed, no doubt!
Old 02-02-2018, 07:06 PM
mrjonger
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Similar for two wheels

Old 02-02-2018, 08:47 PM
Vancouver996
Rennlist Member

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know , I've owned many bikes , mostly BMW and Ducatis, had a shop for a while , most unreliable bikes we saw ? Harleys.
Modern ducatis are pretty reliable , and I'll take setting Desmo valves over Japanese bucket and shims any day .
the belts on a modern duc are easier than those on. 944s and 928s by a long shot .

that aircooled 2 valve 1000 in the picture is totally serviceable by a home mechanic , every year there are less & less bikes you can say that about .

Old 02-02-2018, 09:02 PM
tomc_mets
Sir Thomas Lord of All Mets Fans
Rennlist Member

Received 113 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by jllphan
.. but something tells me when you hear that exhaust note at start up such annoyances fade 😁
Lol. That's exactly it! Also, doesn't help that they can easily sell everyone they make. Once you get behind the F-car wheel, say your silent prayer to the motoring gods that no Check Engine Lights come on, the sound and power are intoxicating. My Cali has been pretty reliable as F-cars go, but sheesh I've got more warning messages in a little less than 2 years and 10 K miles than my wife's Honda Ridgeline has gotten in 13 years and 213K miles! Fortunately, so far, they've gone away with a restart or a little TLC from the good folks at Boardwalk Ferrari.

OP... Interior pics? Lovely Cali.

T
Old 02-02-2018, 11:06 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Im calling BS on this one. I just looked up 1/2 dozen or so Ferrari Calis and so far yours is the only one with a jacked up fuel door. I dont believe for a second that Ferrari would let that go out of the factory like that, much less go out on to the show room floor.

Heres just a few examples.

https://goo.gl/1pjtf9
https://goo.gl/dTtsJr
https://goo.gl/oL5EUR
Old 02-02-2018, 11:36 PM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
Im calling BS on this one. I just looked up 1/2 dozen or so Ferrari Calis and so far yours is the only one with a jacked up fuel door. I dont believe for a second that Ferrari would let that go out of the factory like that, much less go out on to the show room floor.

Heres just a few examples.

https://goo.gl/1pjtf9
https://goo.gl/dTtsJr
https://goo.gl/oL5EUR
LOL, what’s the BS?? Never claimed they were all like this. But mine definitely is. Do you need me to shoot a video?? Car has no accident history according to both Carfax and Autocheck. I am the second owner. Car has 8,750 miles. Previous owner claims it has never seen rain. Windshield and headlight looks brand new and doesn’t even have a single micro-rock chip that I could find. I have a 2017 Infiniti with 3,100 miles that has more micro-rock chips on the windshield already. Car spent it’s entire life in a climate controlled 7 car, two level garage. I bought the car from the butler/house manager. Owner showed up last minute only to sign the title. He was rich enough to not even need to look at the Cashier’s check and took his butler’s word for it. Car has only been dealer serviced ever and the Ferrari dealership has been okay with that fuel door for the last 8,750 miles. Again, what are you calling BS on ??? I don’t understand.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:41 PM
RngTrtl
Drifting

Received 99 Likes on 64 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmyChooToo

LOL, what’s the BS?? Never claimed they were all like this. But mine definitely is. Do you need me to shoot a video?? Car has no accident history according to both Carfax and Autocheck. I am the second owner. Car has 8,750 miles. Previous owner claims it has never seen rain. Windshield and headlight looks brand new and doesn’t even have a single micro-rock chip that I could find. I have a 2017 Infiniti with 3,100 miles that has more micro-rock chips on the windshield already. Car spent it’s entire life in a climate controlled 7 car, two level garage. I bought the car from the butler/house manager. Owner showed up last minute only to sign the title. He was rich enough to not even need to look at the Cashier’s check and took his butler’s word for it. Car has only been dealer serviced ever and the Ferrari dealership has been okay with that fuel door for the last 8,750 miles. Again, what are you calling BS on ??? I don’t understand.
somebody effed the fuel door up that for sure. that was my point. You made your post to sound like Ferrari would make a bad body line on the fuel door and Porsche wouldnt, that what I call BS on.
Old 02-02-2018, 11:48 PM
JimmyChooToo
Instructor

Originally Posted by RngTrtl
somebody effed the fuel door up that for sure. that was my point. You made your post to sound like Ferrari would make a bad body line on the fuel door and Porsche wouldnt, that what I call BS on.
LOL, the fuel door works perfectly. The dealership has been okay with it for the last 8,750 miles. What is “make a bad body line?” What does that even mean?? I never said that. What are you taking about?? You checked 3 cars online (not in person) and determined my car is impossible.
Old 02-03-2018, 12:02 AM
lowpue
Rennlist Member

Received 537 Likes on 259 Posts

My 996 is in the shop but I took a picture of my 997 and Huracan...seems to be equal quality but you be the judge... granted audi/VW owns Lamborghini.

997 above....Huracan below

Quick Reply: German Perfection vs Italian Good Enough