paneraiwatches
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Fart Can exhaust!!!!!!!!!!!!! LOL LOL
Old 12-18-2003, 06:37 PM
MKW
Rennlist Member

Received 64 Likes on 35 Posts

Young guys have been modifying their parents' hand me down sedans for decades . Hot rodders in the post WW2 years in SoCal , '57 Chevys, mid 60s Detroit iron, mid 70s Capris ( first wave of Asian American modders ), Rabbitt/Scirocco s in early 80s, Mustangs and Camaros to this day, Japanese sedans in the late 80s to present.
The demographics of today's hot rodders simply reflects the changing demographics of the young people in certain parts of this country. For example , 40% of California's workforce in now Hispanic , and will become 60% in 10 years from studies. Yet , if you watch TV shows , everyone here seems to look like the Beach Boys and drives a convertible .
Old 12-18-2003, 10:09 PM
green
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by SANDOVAL
Ricers are mostly kids that know nothing about their car other than an exhaust and a cold air filter adds at least an extra 100HP to the 124HP Honda engine
Damn! I'd go for a cold air filter and a big muffler to add an extra 300 hp to my C4S!!
Old 12-19-2003, 05:12 AM
Myk
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure, "ricer" isn't a racial term. . . and the next time you see a bunch of black guys driving around, make sure you ask them if they like to eat watermelon . . and if you see a bunch of latinos in a low rider, always mention to them you hate "beaner" cars. I mean, come on, we're just talking about food right?

Old 12-19-2003, 06:14 AM
tetzlafh
Burning Brakes

I'm asian, PI, and i love rice but dislike ricers...any. Sorry. My tastes are influenced by my father i guess and the love for precious things. When on leave I take part in small maintenance on his 1963 Studebaker Hawk and usually take it for daily drives to "ensure it still runs". I love the old muscle car scene of nothing but pure air/gas mixture and carburetors...sometimes 6 packs. I also am very fond of the european automotive industry and yes at number one Porsches. The thing about "ricers" is they think they are better than everyone else and they only concentrate on the 1/4 mile. I can make anything go fast in a straight line but can you make your car run laps on the Ring without flying off one of the many turns? I was at a PCA auto-X in Germany this past summer while on the runway the American drag club was running their thing. I over heard a young airman stating that his pretty much stock 2002 WRX non STi with all the nice stickers of parts not on his car beat a RUF BTR and other RUF's on the auto X. Come on don't let it go to your head because your head might explode and get blood on me and that's when i get mad..when you make my clothes dirty. Ok sorry just wanted to vent...a rough day at work here on the ROK.

harrY
Old 12-19-2003, 06:51 AM
Brian Lopez
Instructor

A Honda with P-car lights? Can we all say "Photoshop"?

There's no way "Ricer" couldn't be taken as ethnic slur. It's all in the eye of the beholder, so if you're going to say/write "Ricer" remember there will be consequences depending on who is listening. I think the same is true of the term "Beaner", and what if I bust out the N-word? All are the same, derogatory.

That being said, the so called import cars with huge grapefruit shooting exhausts and double-wide, double-high wings look cheap and fake.

I don't care if an 11 second Honda can beat my Porsche, cause at the line your Honda is still a Honda.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:06 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Excellent point Brian. I think that sums up what people have been trying to say for the last 3 pages!

"I don't care if an 11 second Honda can beat my Porsche, cause at the line your Honda is still a Honda"
Old 12-19-2003, 01:12 PM
DonW-Cape Cod
R.I.P.
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

TP: are you sure that pic is not the 4 passenger Porsche concept car?
Old 12-19-2003, 01:13 PM
Jeff 25
Advanced

I guess this has to be one of those hyper sensitive California things, but I think pretty much everywhere else, "ricer" is short for "rice burner" which refers to Japanese cars not to the people who drive them. Up here that crowed is as lilly white as can be.
Old 12-19-2003, 01:53 PM
SPR
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The ricer thing started not in San Jo but the San fernando valley. It has been around there as an underground street race thing since I can remember from the 80's back.

Check any way old school turbo magazine I have them all from then and almost all the sick cars are from there. - The whole ricer thing however doesn't apply to cars that are tastefully done and are functional, i.e. not just cosmetic and detract from the car whether performace wise or in another facet.

What a ricer is, is someone who takes a car that is a grocery getter and puts the monster wing on it which does nothing and screws up the suspension to actually make it handle worse than stock! Another reason for ridicule is the simple fact that they choose to modify a car that has such weak performance as a basis. And yes here comes the oh, well that's all they can afford so it's cool argument, but I bet to differ. They could start with the old time old school favorite of a starion or the american variant which back in the day were pretty much the first fun turbo car to wrench on. Of course the eclipse broadened that stroke, as well as the 300z, 3000gt which is an offspring of the starion with the variant dodge stealth just like the starion and eagle or whatever.

Other things that come to mind were the spraypainting of the whole dash with that rock spray stuff which was popular around early 90's.

And to clarify a few things: it is true that the phrase "a ricer" came from a japanese car and that it's origins are making fun of a japanese car not a person. It doesn't refer to any race or creed; just the cars origins and the higher percentage of the car being silly after "modding" a car that was meant for great fuel mileage and affordability. Again the argument is if you want performance take the same money and start with a better platform-
Old 12-19-2003, 04:03 PM
Jessa
Addict
Rennlist Member

Its kinda funny that the Honda crowd stills refers to their cars as being part of the "import scene". Most Hondas and Toyotas sold in the US are built here, too. Those ricers ought to be glad of it, since it they're not paying a permium on cars that had to be imported.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:08 PM
Oakland996
Intermediate

Originally posted by LVDell
Excellent point Brian. I think that sums up what people have been trying to say for the last 3 pages!

"I don't care if an 11 second Honda can beat my Porsche, cause at the line your Honda is still a Honda"
Yeah, true, but at the end of the day, I also have a Porsche 2003, a new Benz, an E46 M3 and BTW my 11 Second Honda So clearly it's no longer a matter of brand car you got, or how much money you've got in your pocket.

But lets get back to this topic, "headlights being stolen"...Someone started to point the finger to "ricers" stealing these headlights.....DOES NOT MAKE SENSE, wouldn't you think Porsche owners would be the first suspects here, SInce these are Porsche headlights. The first people I would suspect would be the people without Litronics because they were too cheap to buy the option. Much like the rest of the Porsche chop-shops in LA, I don't see them catering to Hondas'..or ricers for that mater. It's mainly the Porsche owners who flock to these stolen parts i.e. interior and carbon fiber parts.

Clearly, I would never win in this board since you'all are Porsche people and look down on any Honda owners you see. I'll just be the better person who doesnt hate just because of a certain type of car, hobby, color or AGE a person is. Clearly, most of you have a thing against Young people.

I'll let this statement speak for itself "I don't care if an 11 second Honda can beat my Porsche, cause at the line your Honda is still a Honda"

Last edited by Oakland996; 12-19-2003 at 06:01 PM.
Old 12-19-2003, 05:42 PM
LVDell
Nordschleife Master

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts

Who do you think you are Oakland996? That's a presumptious statement to make that you think you are younger, have a newer car, etc. What does that have to do win anything? If you are going to make statements like any of these. BACK THEM UP WITH RATIONALE!

And it's not about "winning" a discussion. Clearly your age is showing. Just remember, there is always somebody better than you, older/younger than you, has a newer car than you, faster car, etc..

Just drop it.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:04 PM
Oakland996
Intermediate

Originally posted by LVDell
Who do you think you are Oakland996? That's a presumptious statement to make that you think you are younger, have a newer car, etc. What does that have to do win anything? If you are going to make statements like any of these. BACK THEM UP WITH RATIONALE!

And it's not about "winning" a discussion. Clearly your age is showing. Just remember, there is always somebody better than you, older/younger than you, has a newer car than you, faster car, etc..

Just drop it.
I'm sorry LVDeLL, I didn't mean to hurt your Man-gina.
Old 12-19-2003, 06:41 PM
Trojan Man
Burning Brakes

You guys are HILARIOUS!!!

I thought I would add that all of the aftermarket "aero" parts must be left painted primer....God forbid that they actually match the rest of the car.

Oh yeah, and don't forget to rip out the backseat to save an extra couple pounds (even though you add 50+ pounds of random crap on the outside of the car).

Quick Reply: Headlights are being stolen